Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple visiting daughter's grave have car broken into

• 07-06-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

Irish Times
    The couple had laid their baby daughter to rest last Sunday, and were visiting their child’s grave on Monday afternoon when a thief broke into their car outside Strokestown cemetery.

The thief smashed a passenger window and snatched the mother’s handbag containing cash, credit cards and a black Apple iPhone 4S iphone which had the only photographs the couple have of their baby girl.

The couple are friends of mine and the phone had the only photos of their baby. No tracking software was on the phone so it's pretty much lost.

It's quite common for people to rob cars at graveyards but you have to be a special kind of scumbag to do so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Awful thing to happen, but why on earth did they not back them up. A portable device is no where to be storing something as precious or sentimental as that.

Hope the thieves have the decency to at least return the photos.

Edit:
    They probably have already checked but just in case, do they have photostream enabled? The photos would have been automatically backed up to their cloud account if it was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Wouldn't it be great to just corner these scumbags with a good solid lead pipe in your hand? They'd be flushable when you've finished with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

jester77 wrote: »
    Awful thing to happen, but why on earth did they not back them up. A portable device is no where to be storing something as precious or sentimental as that.

Not sure but I imagine the death of the baby wouldn't have certain things on priority, what with the grief and the funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Scumbags are scumbags - people like them don't think or care about the people they are robbing, all they care about is easy targets and places where they are not likely to be caught

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ok, forget about the phone for a second. They should never have left the handbag behind in the car, no matter where they are. Most break ins and robberies from cars are a result of an opportune moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Even if Strokestown is a remarkably crime-free area, leaving a handbag visible in a parked car was not a wise thing to do. That said, I hope that at least they are able to recover the photographs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Sometimes I fcuking hate boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

And they never backed it up or sync'd it on itunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

That's an awful blow to already grief stricken parents.

You would love to have an arsenal of blunt weapons and just corner the little rat bastards who did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes it seems to be a common crime even out the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

What a rotten ****ty thing to do. It will come back to haunt the scumbag(s).

Condolences to your friends Duggy. RIP to the little one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

That's so sad - would it be worth going public and asking for the phone back? Surely most people would sympathise, even scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nothing surprises me anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's such a crappy thing to do even for a scumbag.
    Strokestown is small, hopefully phone will show up somehow.

Don't leave valuables in plain sight ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

****ing scumbags.

This is not the fault of the couple btw !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Some people have no compassion. If you put a death notice in the paper these days, you need to get someone to keep an eye on the house while you are at the funeral cos so many scumbags are taking advantage.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's quite common for people to rob cars at graveyards but you have to be a special kind of scumbag to do so.

Yes, unfortunately. It's even common for them to read death notices and then target houses of the bereaved while they are burying their loved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

Horrific story, can't believe people are critising the woman for leaving her handbag in her car, she's a grieving woman, hardly in her right mind. Well may whatever hoors took her bags die roaring.

It's being shared around Facebook and it's appearing on the media, at least this side of the country.

Thought the least I could do was spread it here, not let that scummer get away with it so easily.

Also, the phone had never been synced to iCloud. If there were backups then there wouldn't be such an appeal.

They don't care about the phone, just the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A mate of mine had his house robbed while we were at a funeral of his young wife. They must have read it in the death notices. The mind boggles.

Sorry to hear about your friends. Sad thing is, the phone even if recovered will most certainly be wiped. Hopefully they can get photos from somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Also, the phone had never been synced to iCloud.

It doesn't have to be. Once plugged into a computer with itunes, it automatically backs up the whole phone including photos.

One thing is for sure. The operator will have a copy of the IMEI number and will pass it to apple, the phone can not be unlocked unless apple unlock it and at that state the new owner can be tracked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah jaysus, that's an awful thing to happen after having a very very torrid week with such tragedy.
    Despite all those with "they should have done this, did they not have them backed up, why did they leave it on display", the last thing you are thinking of at such a time in your life is about getting your car windows smashed and robbed in strokestown beside a cemetery.

A lad had a bike stolen at work a few days ago and I'll say the same thing here as I thought then.
    Thieves are probably career petty criminals, known to Gardai who have multiple convictions, yet keep getting away with it.
    What is the point of having laws, if people don't get punished for repeatedly breaking them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Horrible people that would do things like this - Also people should beware that this is the type of thing that happens when you buy a cheap phone in some dodgy shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's being shared around Facebook and it's appearing on the media, at least this side of the country.

Thought the least I could do was spread it here, not let that scummer get away with it so easily.

Also, the phone had never been synced to iCloud. If there were backups then there wouldn't be such an appeal.

They don't care about the phone, just the photos.
    I know they are treated as a bit of a joke around here but you should really try to get this on Liveline/Tubridy/ Colm Hayes radio shows.
    I know MWR are very good at publicising this sort of crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Taking the funeral out of it compeltly heres the story..

Woman leaved handbag in plain sight in parked car. Handbag unsurprisingly gets robbed which included a phone with photos which, dispite about a billions methods to backup the photos, the owner has never been arsed to do so.

But they were at a funeral so that, you know, changes everything..oh wait, no it doesnt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

smash wrote: »
    And they never backed it up or sync'd it on itunes?

You do know that they just buried their child ?
    Yes, unfortunately. It's even common for them to read death notices and then target houses of the bereaved while they are burying their loved one.

AFAIK the family of a Garda killed by a scumbag were tragetted in this way and a member of a certain minority group was found by Gardaí wandering around outside their house while they were at the funeral.

I am not allowed discuss …

Woman leaved handbag in plain sight in parked car. Handbag unsurprisingly gets robbed which included a phone with photos which, dispite about a billions methods to backup the photos, the owner has never been arsed to do so.

But they were at a funeral so that, you know, changes everything..oh wait, no it doesnt...

I've seen alot of stupid, dumbass posts on this site throughout the years, even from myself, but that really is one of the stupidest, pig-ignorant ones yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How does it feel to be perfect???

Must be great to be you.

• Advertisement

That's a bit harsh. For all we know the baby might have been a new born or ill for some time. At times like that people don't consider backing up photos in case they leave their bag in the car at a funeral.

Nobody is rational when grieving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Stuff like this really sickens me, its the personal stuff that cannot be replaced not the value of the items obviously

any chance of getting on local radio and making an apeal for the sd card to be return annoymously via post? Its worth a shot maybe the person who bought it has a heart or a fcuking soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Christ, you don't even know how old the baby was and you come out with shíte like that. She could have been only a few hours, days old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP I'm very sorry for your friend's loss of their child.
    Please convey my/our sympathies.

This thread isn't going to go anywhere good so I'll close it.
    Hopefully it'll show how important it is to remove valuables from cars, even in villages, and also to back up your phone so if lost/stolen the important information on it can be saved.
    Under Tech section there is forums for various phone models, anyone can ask there how to backup or enable tracking. Do it today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement