Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clogging the Equity of Redemption and Right of Redemption Question

• 07-06-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Good morning,

May I pose a question based on the following scenario.

Mrs A decides to sell a part of her land which has a mortgage on it in favour of Bank X.

Mr B makes an offer for the full asking price of part of the land, which is accepted by Mrs A.

After the offer has been accepted but prior to contracts being signed etc Mrs A advises Mr B that Bank X has now called her into a meeting because they are not happy with the sale price of part of her land. They want her the part in question to be sold for a much higher consideration.

Can the Bank enforce this and if they do, will be considered clogging the equity of redemption and right of redemption?

Many thanks for all who have time to reply

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It's usually the other way around - the owner/borrower has much higher expectations of what the market value is and the Bank looks for the property to be sold at what the owner considers to be too low a price.

So, this sounds somewhat suspect to me. If in this case the Bank aren't happy, then I would guess the price is at an undervalue. The terms of the mortgage will give the Bank the right to block the sale. Else, a borrower could technically sell property to a friend for a euro.

It's not a clog on the equity of redemption by the way since the secured obligations under the mortgage will, I assume, not be fully discharged by the proposed sale.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If thr purchase price is higher than the outstanding mortgage then the bank cannot really stop the sale as the payment of the purchase price will discharge their mortgage.

If the purchase price is lower than the mortgage then it's not really a redemption.

Advertisement