Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Length of time for interview call

• 07-06-2012 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

What is the usual length of time after applying for a job and getting called for an interview? Is it usual practice not to be further contacted if you are not shortlisted?

I applyed to a pernament job nearly three weeks ago so wondering is it time to presume I have not been shortlisted?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

What is the usual length of time after applying for a job and getting called for an interview? Is it usual practice not to be further contacted if you are not shortlisted?

I applyed to a pernament job nearly three weeks ago so wondering is it time to presume I have not been shortlisted?:confused:

You applied for permanent job? Where did it state it was permanent?
    A permanent job at second level is as rare as hens teeth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's a good chance that the job was never available. Schools often have to advertise jobs for which they already have someone lined up. If it said the word 'permanent', it could be someone within the school whose contract is being made 'permanent', but the school legally has to advertise.

Edit: it'd be no harm to give them a buzz just to check anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

A few jobs listed as permanent on ed posts.

OP I applied for dozens of jobs last year and heard back from five, all thanks but no thanks, bar one which was an interview and that was weeks after the closing date. Hard to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

There's a good chance that the job was never available. Schools often have to advertise jobs for which they already have someone lined up. If it said the word 'permanent', it could be someone within the school whose contract is being made 'permanent', but the school legally has to advertise.

Edit: it'd be no harm to give them a buzz just to check anyway.

I would imagine that this is the only reason a "permanent" job would be advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Agree with implausible and others, however if they advertise the job they have to shortlist candidates and interview them - happened to me one time - even if the incumbent is usually a shoe in. Then again, it has gone wrong for the incumbent from time to time - it can happen.

Sadly, assuming the closing date has well passed, this one has probably eluded you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

linguist wrote: »
    Agree with implausible and others, however if they advertise the job they have to shortlist candidates and interview them - happened to me one time - even if the incumbent is usually a shoe in. Then again, it has gone wrong for the incumbent from time to time - it can happen.

Sadly, assuming the closing date has well passed, this one has probably eluded you.

It's such a pain. If you are good enough to get a job in September (probably RPT) then you are unlikely to take up a contract during the year and these jobs are usually the ones that convert into permanent because the teacher has retired/sick leave etc. By the time we apply for the job in the summer the (potentially) less experienced teacher is a shoe in because they're there already.

I have been on the receiving end of one contract a few years ago though where someone thought they were a shoe in so I suppose it can happen. I only found out a couple of months later that there was shock in the staffroom when I was appointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 energeticxx

Thanks for the replies. I'm presuming the job is gone from my hands at this stage.

From previous trend, there seems to be more pernament jobs advertised this year than previously, not sure if they are already gone or prehaps with the retirements from Feb there may a few more pernament jobs rather than the usual maternity covers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

From previous trend, there seems to be more pernament jobs advertised this year than previously, not sure if they are already gone or prehaps with the retirements from Feb there may a few more pernament jobs rather than the usual maternity covers:rolleyes:

There are virtually NO permanent jobs in teaching any more. 99% of teachers are now starting on PRPT contracts, which may become 'permanent'/CID after your fourth year.

Don't annoy yourself getting your hopes up that you will apply for and get a permanent job. The best to be got out there is a 22 hour PRPT contract that is renewed every year until it becomes a CID.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Geologyrocks

Just getting back to the title of the thread...
    How long would you give it after a closing date would you give up hope on getting an interview? Do you usually get contacted within a couple of days of the closing date?
    Do they phone or post a letter usually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Voluntary secondary schools can do it in various ways; often they will phone first and follow up by letter.

Community schools and VECs are much more formal and generally the first you hear is a letter with the onus being on you to confirm your attendance.

Very hard to know how soon you should hear. It obviously depends on the number of applications they receive, but I'd imagine it's getting unlikely by about 7 days after the closing date.

A minority of excellent schools clearly indicate the schedule. I really wish the DES would try to put in place a standardised approach - it's public money after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Geologyrocks

Thanks linguist.

Advertisement