Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick vandals mount heads of two seals on Dingle reserve

• 07-06-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

There are some serious sick fcukers out there :(

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sick-vandals-mount-heads-of-two-seals-on-dingle-reserve-3131798.html

THE heads of two young seals have been mounted and stuck to the sign of a seal sanctuary.

The grim discovery was made by staff at Dingle Wildlife and Seal Sanctuary in Co Kerry shortly before 9am this morning.

Ally McMillan, animal manager, said the freshly cut seal heads had been nailed to a piece of wood, which was drilled to the sanctuary's sign.

Red paint, which resembled blood, was used to scrawl the words: "RIP Cull."

"It was sickening," said Ms McMillan.

"I wanted to be sick when I saw them.

"We were very worried because we have two seals here at the moment that are about ready to be released, but it wasn't them."

Gardai in the fishing port town have removed the seal heads and signs as part of their investigation.

It is feared they were targeted by people who want the sanctuary to close and who believe seals are destroying the local fishing waters.

Dingle Bay is also famous for its eco tours and cruises to spot seals, whales and the country's most famous dolphin Fungie.

The two dead common harbour seals are believed to be about six months old.

The alarm the raised by a man from the area passing the site who called the volunteers and said there was something on the sign.

Ms McMillan believes the seals were shot, but added there were no wounds on their heads besides the nails.

She said she is not opposed to the culling of seals when carried out humanly.

"I am from Australia and we cull kangaroos if there are too many, but there's research done first," she added.

"If they did that here and did proper research and counted seals in the Irish waters and found the population too high they could be a cull humanly.

"For people just to take it in to their own hands and club or shot a seal is sickening."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Looks like this crime scene.......<puts on glasses> is sealed off.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Said it before anyone who does this to animals are in danger of violence towards humans aswell. Whoever did it has a lot of problems to say the least.

Mods
    Please remove I posted twice by mistake

Yeah was wondering that! Just report your original post.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Fishermen.
    Real subtle way to make a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thought they officaly changed the name a few years ago and Dingle was not to be used anymore :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A thread for each dead baby seal.

RIP baby seal 1

dmcronin wrote: »
    Fishermen.
    Real subtle way to make a point.

I'm sure they found traces of seamen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

That's the scum you're bound to get after generations of close breeding... Sick fukcers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It is feared they were targeted by people who want the sanctuary to close and who believe seals are destroying the local fishing waters.

Just saw this is the article it could be the same genius who protested about the arrival of the golden sea eagle thinking they would destroy our livestock. This country has an attitude that animals are here to get in our way and must be deystroyed at all costs. Until we change that attitude well be stuck in the past.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Thought they officaly changed the name a few years ago and Dingle was not to be used anymore :confused:

Its Dingle again, the Gaelgoir Taliban failed.

• Advertisement

Why did Fungi choose Kerry of all places?

Lucky fella that he wasn't killed by the locals for tuking ur fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

This kind of treatment of animals certainly wouldn't get PETA's seal of approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

chin_grin wrote: »
    Looks like this crime scene.......<puts on glasses> is sealed off.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQNKHvX4Jkm9IbbLRfMVAiqQYRRRLk4XBI7oAjow8SSDVgy1Mgjib2GXwr_Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think they decided to change it back again because the locals complained that the tourists would be confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

There is no species more disgusting than humankind. Normally I'd wish these ******* are found and punished, but since there won't be any adequate sentences for animal cruelty anyway let's rather hope they'll have fatal accidents caused by some animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Heidi Klum was unavailable for comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Said it before anyone who does this to animals are in danger of violoence towards humans aswell. Whoever did it has a lot of problems to say the least.

True, a potential brutal serial killer is in the making in Kerry. Animal rights, what rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think they decided to change it back again because the locals complained that the tourists would be confused.

Dingle - the town which puts seal heads on pikes and clubs baby seals

I can just see the tourists flocking there now!

This has been going on years down there and should have been sorted out by now - if they think a cull is needed assess the situation properly and see but there is no need for what these people are doing.

When your town erects a monument to Charlie Haughey there's something wrong with your town

http://www.flickr.com/photos/renacaheraimages/4277445124/

Said it before anyone who does this to animals are in danger of violoence towards humans aswell. Whoever did it has a lot of problems to say the least.

It's not some random loner in the town

These are working men and knew exactly what they were doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CNUTS, shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EllyT

Just saw this is the article it could be the same genius who protested about the arrival of the golden sea eagle thinking they would destroy our livestock. This country has an attitude that animals are here to get in our way and must be deystroyed at all costs. Until we change that attitude well be stuck in the past.
    Steddyeddy I'm right behind you on that! I don't get the Irish attitude towards animals. It just proves a hard heart. The Chinese have a bad reputatation for cruelty but the attitude of most here isn't far behind. Its the human animals that need culling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EllyT

Oh boy, my hackles are going up! I don't care if it is fishermen or whoever. If it takes a murder to get a message out it sure isn't a very literate one! It has only bought about confusion so far! Wakey wakey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why did Fungi choose Kerry of all places?

Lucky fella that he wasn't killed by the locals for tuking ur fish

There's often no real porpoise to these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

stovelid wrote: »
    There's often no real porpoise to these things.

Fin

*Credits roll*

When your town erects a monument to Charlie Haughey there's something wrong with your town

http://www.flickr.com/photos/renacaheraimages/4277445124/[/QUOTE]

CJ 'looked after' the locals. Say a bad word about him there and you'll get sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

She said she is not opposed to the culling of seals when carried out humanly.

"I am from Australia and we cull kangaroos if there are too many, but there's research done first," she added.
    I think this attitude is almost as bad to be honest. Nature and wildlife were getting along perfectly well before humans came along and decided they had to interfere in everything. Who is she to decide that there's "too many" of a certain animal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Bit odd alright.
    I'm not too distraught though.
    Just hope that they killed the seals quickly so they didn't suffer.

I think this attitude is almost as bad to be honest. Nature and wildlife were getting along perfectly well before humans came along and decided they had to interfere in everything. Who is she to decide that there's "too many" of a certain animal?

Well, if they eat all the available food sources then smaller animals can't survive. Big roos don't have that many predators, apart from man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

"Gardai in the fishing port town have removed the seal heads and signs as part of their investigation."

(A month elapses)

Sergeant: MURPHY - Wheres that fuppin stink coming from?

Garda Murphy: - From my locker Sarge, I have vitally important evidence relating to a serial killer stored in there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I lived in dingle for a few years....
    The local fishermen are honestly a bunch of red necks, they hate tourists and outsiders.

Whilst there, there was a nail gun culling of new born baby seals .... And fishermen grinning from ear to ear over the reaction.

The premeditation involved in this is the scariest part for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lots of really hilarious people posting in here. Boards.ie at it's worst.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lots of really hilarious people posting in here. Boards.ie at it's worst.

Oh my gawd! I'm so sorry, did you know the seals personally?

Do I need to know them personally in order to think it's a disgusting act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

No, they weren't for the most part. Imagine yourself as an animal, a non-domesticated one - it would be a cautious and mostly terrifying existence every bloody day.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Do I need to know them personally in order to think it's a disgusting act?

It is, we never said it wasn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallows_humor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Apart from the act of killing the seals, it's barbaric to display the heads. It was done purely for shock value - it's amazing how some people get their kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

dmcronin wrote: »
    Well, if they eat all the available food sources then smaller animals can't survive. Big roos don't have that many predators, apart from man.
    Nature sorted itself out for millions of years before humans came along and decided it was up to us to decide how many of one species was 'too much'.
    If you're going to worry about one species of animal eating more than their share of food and being a threat to other species then you might as well start culling humans, especially white Australians as they aren't indigenous to their land.
    du Maurier wrote: »
    No, they weren't for the most part. Imagine yourself as an animal, a non-domesticated one - it would be a cautious and mostly terrifying existence every bloody day.
    I probably phrased that badly. I'm not saying animals have an easy life. My point is that's how nature works. Sometimes some animals thrive while others don't. It's been happening since the world began and that's how evolution works. If it didn't happen we wouldn't be here.

The biggest problem animals have is humans introducing foreign species into the environment. For instance grey squirrels are largely thought of as 'vermin' in Ireland but it was humans that introduced them here.

It is, we never said it wasn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallows_humor

Oh ok, thanks for your attempt at enlighting the ignorant masses. You seem to be on a roll recently, as seen by your infarction for correcting grammar in another thread.

Gallows humor, as defined by the website referenced, does not cover your post in any way. It was not "in the face of, and in response to, a hopeless situation" and it certainly was not funny. From what I can see from your post, you seem to be looking for a cheap laugh.

Seals beheaded and displayed. Great stuff altogether.

Trolling at it's best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

This sh1t is getting to be an epidemic. Was walking down the street there and some sick fooker had the heads of two dead baby pigs stuck up on a spike in the window of his shop. Another b4stard had a load of dead fish thrown onto a table outside his place with a bucket of ice scattered around them, probably just to keep the sicko show going for longer. This displaying dead animals around the place has to stop, it's putting me off my Veal.

Pottler wrote: »
    This sh1t is getting to be an epidemic. Was walking down the street there and some sick fooker had the heads of two dead baby pigs stuck up on a spike in the window of his shop. Another b4stard had a load of dead fish thrown onto a table outside his place with a load of ice scattered around them, probably just to keep the sicko display going for longer. This displaying dead animals around the place has to stop, it's putting me off my Veal.

Yes, because that's the same. I'm sure there is a word for this kind of post too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

F***ing fishermen arseholes
    I hate this type of stuff I do a lot of fishing but I wouldn't do this
    Fair enough if they need be culled fine but then doing this is just plain sick
    There's big difference in cullin and puttin the heads on show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

why cull them.... cant they be transported to other areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Because transporting one problem and moving them to another area where people will find them a problem aswell may result in same actions

Because transporting one problem and moving them to another area where people will find them a problem aswell may result in same actions
    Are we talking about Ballymun here?

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Are we talking about Ballymun here?

if you mean skanger instead of seal then yes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Would they not swim back home as fast as their little flippers would carry them? :confused:

scholar007 wrote: »
    Would they not swim back home as fast as their little flippers would carry them? :confused:

maybe but just cos we think there is too many doesnt give us the right to kill them

at the very worst they should be used to feed the endangered polar bears

if you mean skanger instead of seal then yes ;)

They are both slimey, smell of fish and make lots of unwanted noise........;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement