Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick vandals mount heads of two seals on Dingle reserve

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

People who do things like this make me want to reconsider my opposition to the death penalty. Absolutely disgusting. The poor seals. </3

...and I feel like this about all cases of animal cruelty; beheaded or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

kevmol88 wrote: »
    I am a Kerryman. I find this disgusting ....like 99.9% of people here.

i didnt mention kerry ,

you did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Apart from the act of killing the seals, it's barbaric to display the heads. It was done purely for shock value - it's amazing how some people get their kicks.

Its like something out of the hills have eyes to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's a disgrace. Why don't you start a campaign highlighting this particular aspect of greyhound racing and campaigning to have the owners who abandon them criminalised or fined, preferably both as you seem to have some knowledge of it. I presume that racing greyhounds are microchipped. It should be easy enough to trace the last registered owner and if they say that they sold on the dog it should be like cars - the onus should be on the last owner to see to it.

The IGB consider that taking your dog to the Pound to be killed is an acceptable way to dispose of it. The IGB is a semi state body with a big PR budget. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would realise that if you breed a litter of dogs only one or two might become racers. The rest are surplus to requirements. So those that support racing must realise that many dogs die for every one that races but it is not in the open.

So maybe the public way that these Seals died & have been treated, will have an effect in protecting the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

That's a disgrace. Why don't you start a campaign highlighting this particular aspect of greyhound racing and campaigning to have the owners who abandon them criminalised or fined, preferably both as you seem to have some knowledge of it. I presume that racing greyhounds are microchipped. It should be easy enough to trace the last registered owner and if they say that they sold on the dog it should be like cars - the onus should be on the last owner to see to it.

Are you mental?! There has been campaigners outside racecourses for years highlighting this practice. No one gives a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Poisoning eagles, decapitating seals.. whats next? Sodomising goats at Puck Fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

cafecreme wrote: »
    . Its a very small place, people must know who it is but wont say. Animal lovers should boycott Dingle until the culprits are named and shamed.

If they are named and shamed their business (assuming they are fishermen) should be boycotted, no sense in taking it out on the people who make a living trying to showcase and protect the wildlife there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I worry for this country sometimes, I really do.

First our farmers poisoned eagles and now our fishermen are beheading seals and why? Because it is easier to blame them for depleting food stocks that to blame our own greed.

The biggest danger to our food sources, and we all know it, is us. Why punish these beautiful creatures for doing what comes naturally to them?

It's ourselves we need to control and reign in imo.

Which poor creature will be next I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If anyone has ever tried to take a reluctant dog, say a Labrador, to the vets & get it up onto the table this is about half of how heavy the seal would have been ; only they would have been wet; and untamed ; and trying frantically not o be dragged onto a boat.
    It would have taken several men A lot of hauling & screaming and smashing and strength to do this to not one but two wild animals ; and then carry them off the boat; onto a car/truck, to and from the sanctuary ; wet or covered in blood and scratches.

Someone knows who did this ; or has a good suspicion. If they are so depraved to think it's ok then and hide them they they too have blood & this deed on their hands.

This trapping and killing and sawing off of wild , protected, amimals heads was done by a gang of so called men. Even utter knackers & violent criminal scum wouldn't do sthing like this.

I hope they rot.& have nightmares the rest of their waking days. They deserve, at least, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are some people in Ireland that have a very backward and ignorant view towards wildlife in this country. It looks like seals are the badgers of the seas.

If there's problems with fish stocks it's Europes fault, get the EU out of our seas and run a properly managed fishing fleet free of morons like the people that carried out this act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I worry for this country sometimes, I really do.

First our farmers poisoned eagles and now our fishermen are beheading seals and why? Because it is easier to blame them for depleting food stocks that to blame our own greed.

The biggest danger to our food sources, and we all know it, is us. Why punish these beautiful creatures for doing what comes naturally to them?

It's ourselves we need to control and reign in imo.

Which poor creature will be next I wonder?

Excellent post. It's the whole first world though, not just our country. Fish has become a trendy morsel, but nobody ever ate meat every day of the week until mass-consumerism. It's completely uneccessary and damages our environment. We simply can't afford to live so self-indulgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Ms.M wrote: »
    Excellent post. It's the whole first world though, not just our country. Fish has become a trendy morsel, but nobody ever ate meat every day of the week until mass-consumerism. It's completely uneccessary and damages our environment. We simply can't afford to live so self-indulgently.

Thank you :)

Oh I know it's more widespread than just us, didn't mean to imply otherwise sorry!

And I completely agree with your post...as I said it is ourselves that need reigning in, not the animals who inhabited the world long before we came along.

Excellent post. It's the whole first world though, not just our country.
    It's only restricted to the first world due to the high cost of the big ships. 3rd world countries have shown they can have even less respect for animals, they just maybe can't do it on the scale of the 1st world. Although that's changing as first world countries move into poorer countries where they can get away with this stuff easier.

Well I havent heard about the irrational hatred of seals before only hared for badgers and sea eagles really. I have doubts anything is going to be done about this because the police in this country are crap at dealing with crimes of this nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's only restricted to the first world due to the high cost of the big ships. 3rd world countries have shown they can have even less respect for animals, they just maybe can't do it on the scale of the 1st world. Although that's changing as first world countries move into poorer countries where they can get away with this stuff easier.

This is true. I was talking about our dietary habits rather than our respect for animals. We simply consume too much meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well I havent heard about the irrational hatred of seals before only hared for badgers and sea eagles really. I have doubts anything is going to be done about this because the police in this country are crap at dealing with crimes of this nature.

If people kick up enough of a stink about it they'll be compelled to act. I'd say they're already treating it with the gravity it deserves tbh.

This is true. I was talking about our dietary habits rather than our respect for animals. We simply consume too much meat.
    Ireland doesn't really, maybe as part of a healthy diet we do but the fact is Ireland has an abundance of meat and they live a fairly good life.

If we stopped Europe gouging the life out of our seas we could easily feed the entire country without affecting the biodiversity of the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The animals that did this to those animals need to be made an example of, big style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What's the big deal here though?
    It's no worse than throwing puppies out of moving cars or into a river, and that kind of thing happens all the time.
    I mean it's awful, it's all awful, but what is so special about this incident?

Always despite this turn of reasoning: facile, student debating society rhetoric.

Like the old classic that you can't feel sorry for a child dying in this country because X number die in Africa every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

stovelid wrote: »
    Always despite this turn of reasoning: facile, student debating society rhetoric.

Like the old classic that you can't feel sorry for a child dying in this country because X number die in Africa every day.

No, just that it seems odd to me how the media and the country jump on one event over a million others.
    What makes one incident more worthy of all the chatter and attention?
    When I read about this seal incident, it didn't strike me as any more sad or appalling than any similar story I'd read on any given day.
    Same with court cases - some get so much media attention, and I sit here baffled as to why!
    I did say in my post that it was awful, that it was all awful.
    It was a genuine question, a genuine wish to understand - nothing to do with being argumentative or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If this was about fish stocks would it not make more sense to be beheading Spanish Fishermen?

The animal cruelty laws in this country are woefully inadequate.

First our farmers poisoned eagles and now our fishermen are beheading seals and why?

Interesting comparison in the UK with Buzzards. The Pheasant shooting community wanted to cull Buzzards because they claim that they kill Pheasants. Word got out & there was a huge public outcry & any plans for a cull were abandoned.
    It would have taken several men

I suspect that the seals, which appear to be youngsters, were shot & probably at night. But I have no doubt that there are plenty of people who know who did it.

They could of just shot the seals, dumped them & we would of been none the wiser. At least we now know that there are some disturbed people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Hopefully with the E5000 reward for information they will be rushing to dob each other in?

What makes one incident more worthy of all the chatter and attention?

It was the ritualistic element that has caused the attention. Whoever did this wanted to cause a outrage & for their message to be seen. In an ideal world it might of been better not to publicise it & instead focus on getting forensic data to catch the culprits.

Our reaction to animal cruelty depends a great deal on the species & even the breed. We find Seals appealing mainly because of their round face & big eyes - subconsciously they remind us of babies. This becomes even more obvious when you have Seal pups with white fur.

If people kick up enough of a stink about it they'll be compelled to act. I'd say they're already treating it with the gravity it deserves tbh.

Well fingers crossed. Im not trying to tar all gaurds with the same brush its just annoying watching people killing animals they dont like in this country and getting away with it. The seal is also a protected species.

• Advertisement

Hopefully with the E5000 reward for information they will be rushing to dob each other in?

Its now a 7000 euro reward. Sea shepard Ireland a conservation group have added another 2000 grand.

Edit: Heres the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I presume nobody was ever got for this?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I presume nobody was ever got for this?:(

It appears lips were sealed.

It gets worse it seems. Today the Irish wildlife trust reported:
    Sad to have to report that yet another dead seal has been washed ashore in Co. Waterford. This brings the total of dead seals to 11 in the past 12 months (not to mention the ones killed in Dingle recently). This seal had round puncture marks on its abdomen. The Gardaí and NPWS have been notified (again).

The only thing I hope is that these people handled the seals thus have a chance catching seal finger which can result in amputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think they decided to change it back again because the locals complained that the tourists would be confused.
    The tourists where, in Dingle or in An Daingean? I keep getting them mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'd acually kill someone if I caught them at this

Tigger wrote: »
    What if it turns out to be a seal doing the killing?

Tigger wrote: »

Me to. Having done voluntary conservation in africa I can safely say people like this ought to be beaten within an inch of there life. Ireland does nothing to protect wildlife and people wonder why so many people are anti hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

When are SEAL team 6 going to sort this out?

Advertisement