Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severed seal heads nailed to Dingle sanctuary sign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Blissy

I'm from the area and I'm absolutely disgusted with this behaviour, as I think most people from Dingle are. This does not represent how our community on a whole feel about the situation, we rely heavily on eco tourism and the seals are a major part of this. This is just a small group of narrow minded fishermen taking their personal views on the situation way too far though there is no evidence to show that seals have a major impact on salmon fisheries. I just hope this doesn't give people a negative view of Dingle and how we treat our wildlife. I also hope that those responsible are punished severely, though I don't think this is likely! I think some people just need to be better educated on the issue of seals and fisheries instead of relying on anecdotal stories with no real basis in truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

It's just shocking that a person could do this to two beautiful creatures,:(,I know fishermen have huge issues with seals but I would hate to think that one of them would do something like this.But who knows. I just hope there are CCTV camers and they are caught.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

This is terrible. I hope they find out who was responsible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another post here with a link to pictures.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79080669&postcount=153

Warning: do NOT open the link in that post if you don't want to get very angry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

This is sadly becoming an almost annual event around the Kerry coast. People doing this need to cop on and grasp that fish stocks are collapsing because of overfishing and not because of a few seals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Delancey wrote: »
    This is sadly becoming an almost annual event around the Kerry coast. People doing this need to cop on and grasp that fish stocks are collapsing because of overfishing and not because of a few seals.

I think, truth be told, that illegal killing of seals is a regular occurrence around the coast of Ireland... The perpetrators though are not often quite as public or brazen about it as those in this incident in Dingle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

It's really sad and sickening. I don't agree with the 7k reward to find the people who did it either.

The animal protection laws in this country are non existent, so I doubt they'll get much punishment IF they are caught.

I hope this doesn't damage the already frail views held internationally about Ireland's treatment of animals. We seems to have a bit of a reputation for not caring about our furred and feathered friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

if it's not representative of the people of dingle then let's see if anyone gets reported for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

again like the dog that was beaten to death west of dingle some time back, i guess the culprits will get away with it also,
    and the worst is, there is always someone who know, whether they are afraid to come forward is another thing,
    the way they would see it, if they can do these cruel deeds to animals, god help the human being who crosses them,
    they deserve jail, this is out and out cruelty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The only hope of these people getting caught it is due to the attention on the news. Otherwise you wouldnt hear anymore about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

It's really disturbing. Heard one of the people who work there on the radio this morning, they didn't have night vision CCTV, so all they have is rear lights of van (I think) reversing at midnight. Sick, sick people......

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gazzcois

I am a firm believer that the fishermen that done this will regret what they have done i am calling on people to destroy the fishing boats in dingle harbor by any means they want and lets see how they catch there fish when a fleet of boats has to be set on fire in dingle harbor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Gazzcois wrote: »
    i am calling on people to destroy the fishing boats in dingle harbor by any means they want and lets see how they catch there fish when a fleet of boats has to be set on fire in dingle harbor

Hysterical militant animal rights type posts 'calling on people' to commit arson leads to permanent bans.

i would rather catch the people who did this horrible deed, than to have everyone in the fishing industry painted with the same brush, i am sure there will be an outcome to this, as the people who did this must realise that they are having a detremental effect in all businesses in the area, dingle is known for its beauty, and this is an awful black mark on that, i am sure the dingle people are very angry that this has happened.
    and i do hope the proper people are caught,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Sick. Who would do that. Disgusting, would love if there was cctv footage.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Sick. Who would do that. Disgusting, would love if there was cctv footage.
    i beleive there was a cctv at that place, but it did not have night vision, that is what i heard or read somewhere

any update on this,

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OhLongJohnson

Blaming innocent seals for the failures of the fishing industry (over fishing) is appalling.

I've no doubt that lots in the local community know who was behind this and their silence is almost as appalling as the deed itself.

I can only hope that the fishermen involved, for destroying nature needlessly, have themselves and their families affected catastrophically by nature in turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Wishing harm on someones family doesnt say much about you as a person and christmas is just as bad fir liking the comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

If it has a fishermen why draw attention and a possible Garda probe
    and also negative publicity for your arguement?
    A fisherman would just kill the seals and bury/dumb them I would think.

My sense it is more likely a mental troll or
    someone mental trying to frame fishermen/fisherman for some reason

Who benefits?

• Advertisement

cork boy 55,
    i did not think of it that way, but since you mention this framing part,
    it is a pity that these little innocent creatures suffered due to jelousy, if that is the case.
    the people who did it are heartless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

people who can easily do that to a seal ,could easily do it to a human,animals have emotions and feel pain etc,so it is morally wrong and a very callouse pre mediatated act(they carried nails and a hammer and planned to do this)..

the likely hood of it being a fisherman is high,for obvious reasons,pressure has been recently put on fishermen to not over fish and damage continously depleting stock in our irish waters..

and lastly i reserve the right to 'like' whatever comment i want to like,i think karma should deal them a hand in return for what they have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Blaming innocent seals for the failures of the fishing industry (over fishing) is appalling.

I've no doubt that lots in the local community know who was behind this and their silence is almost as appalling as the deed itself.

I can only hope that the fishermen involved, for destroying nature needlessly, have themselves and their families affected catastrophically by nature in turn.

we all have family who do things we dont agree with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely revolting incident.:(:mad: It won't do Ireland's already poor image as a country with respect to how animals are treated any good at all.

It seems that the Irish are one of the worst in Europe when it comes to treating animals - whether it be pets, farm animals, wildlife like eagles and seals - appallingly. A trawl through the court reports on animal cruelty will show this up.

I hope someone is caught and punished for this but being Ireland I'm pretty pessimistic on that hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems that farmers and fishermen are the worst culprits when it comes to treating animals - whether it be pets, farm animals, wildlife like eagles and seals - appallingly. Thick and violent mucksavages are all that they deserve to be called..

What a load of clap trap. Drive around any town or city and see the condition that so called pets are kept in, cats and dogs shot with cross bows. Organised dog fights etc. It only takes a few from any section of the community be they rural or thick violent jackeens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Regardless of who is to blame, it was an awful deed and I hope whoever did it is burdened with bad luck for the rest of their days.

No matter if it's a seal, a dog, a cat, or a person, no living creature deserves such disrespect in life or death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems that farmers and fishermen are the worst culprits when it comes to treating animals - whether it be pets, farm animals, wildlife like eagles and seals - appallingly. Thick and violent mucksavages are all that they deserve to be called.

Don't post such sweeping offensive statements in future please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

people who can easily do that to a seal ,could easily do it to a human,animals have emotions and feel pain etc,so it is morally wrong and a very callouse pre mediatated act(they carried nails and a hammer and planned to do this)..
    Not really true to be fair. I hunt and kill animals so by your logic i am capable of doing it to a human:rolleyes:
    and lastly i reserve the right to 'like' whatever comment i want to like,i think karma should deal them a hand in return for what they have done.
    Yes you do but like i said, wishing harm on someones family does not say much about you as a person. I agree the person or people responsible should be punished severly but punishing their families:confused:

Advertisement