Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant wife smoking

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

A woman I used to know smoked at least a pack a day all the way through her pregnancy. Child was born prematurely and was in an incubator for many weeks later. Nowadays that child is in her 20s and married. But she's had problems all her life. She's had heart surgery, is more or less deaf and has problems talking, and is only a little over 4 ft tall. Maybe your wife should be subtly given documents about what kind of life the baby she is carrying can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

deman wrote: »
    A woman I used to know smoked at least a pack a day all the way through her pregnancy. Child was born prematurely and was in an incubator for many weeks later. Nowadays that child is in her 20s and married. But she's had problems all her life. She's had heart surgery, is more or less deaf and has problems talking, and is only a little over 4 ft tall. Maybe your wife should be subtly given documents about what kind of life the baby she is carrying can expect.

I suppose I never really thought much more about my nephew and the link to smoking other than him being so small in height.....but he has been a very sickly child, constantly in and out of the doctor and hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I wonder has anyone taken anybody to court over this? Where are the people who are always banging on about the rights of the unborn? It's an interesting dilemma for the OP. Could you feasibly bring your wife/partner to court? Get an injunction? Maybe this is actually as much a legal question as anything else?

Either way she should not be ignoring your wishes. It's being incredibly selfish to say the least.

edit: I am a former smoker of 20 years. I gave it up, it's hard but it's all about self discipline and in this case she has someone else to think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This was an advice thread not a thread for discussing the rights and wrongs of smoking. There are other forums for that type of discussion. And despite multiple warnings people still make snide remarks about the op's wife.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement