Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Converse All Stars bad quality? (and a couple of other questions)

• 07-06-2012 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I bought two pairs of Converse All Stars, one green and one black. I just noticed this morning that the lining in the heel of the right black Converse is ripped. I also noticed a while ago that the sole on the right green Converse is starting to come away from the top of the shoe. I'm in amazement that two pairs of such a popular brand of shoe haven't even lasted me two months.

Are problems like these common with Converse or did I just get unlucky?

Also is there a similar type of shoe that's a better quality? I'm looking for something to wear with chinos and all my runners look bulky and awkward with them. I don't wear leather so I'm looking for decent runners made from canvas (or some other non leather material). I saw Street Vision shoes in Sports World recently. Does anyone know if they're good quality?

One final question. The Converse made my feet sweat terribly. They sweated so much that there was a squeaking noise when I walked (which I suspect caused friction that ripped the lining of the shoe). Is this a problem with all canvas shoes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Firstly from my own experience Converse are good quality shoes but you can't compare them with leather which are obviously going to be tougher and runners etc which are designed for, you know, running and stuff. Saying that I have never had a pair go bad as fast as yours have and I've been through a fair share at this point. Also all my converse have been declared done through wear, never had a pair come apart like the back and sole coming apart or the same happening at the toe or at the side.

In terms of similar shoes you see variations in places like River Island but I prefer the classic design, in my eyes it's perfect.

Saying that I got a pair in Dunnes a while ago that were virtually identical to converse design, I compared them to the pair I was wearing at the time and was thinking it bordered on copyright infringement (didn't they get in trouble for that before?) but they went to pieces in a little over a month, that pretty much assured me of the relative quality of the converse.

I've never really had the sweating problem with the converse, maybe leave them a little looser to let more air in?

As far as other alternatives go I got some pretty nifty canvas pumas in schuh a while back so maybe check the puma website? I would still recommend sticking with the converse though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A good shoe for chinos would be Vans. They come in looooads of colours.

5161_auth-blk-wht_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Twee. wrote: »
    A good shoe for chinos would be Vans. They come in looooads of colours.

5161_auth-blk-wht_m.jpg

Jesus, you weren't messing! Glitter ones ftw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Bring them back to the shop you bought them in and get a repair/replacement/refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

A few weeks ago I bought two pairs of Converse All Stars, one green and one black. I just noticed this morning that the lining in the heel of the right black Converse is ripped. I also noticed a while ago that the sole on the right green Converse is starting to come away from the top of the shoe. I'm in amazement that two pairs of such a popular brand of shoe haven't even lasted me two months.

Are problems like these common with Converse or did I just get unlucky?

Also is there a similar type of shoe that's a better quality? I'm looking for something to wear with chinos and all my runners look bulky and awkward with them. I don't wear leather so I'm looking for decent runners made from canvas (or some other non leather material). I saw Street Vision shoes in Sports World recently. Does anyone know if they're good quality?

One final question. The Converse made my feet sweat terribly. They sweated so much that there was a squeaking noise when I walked (which I suspect caused friction that ripped the lining of the shoe). Is this a problem with all canvas shoes?

Yeah have had Cons where the rubber lining joining the sole to the side part of the shoe have come away from the side where the shoe is widest. That kind of thing doesn't seem unusual for this style of shoe, but having them kinda "scuffed" seems the fashion anyway, which is pretty clever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

mood wrote: »
    Bring them back to the shop you bought them in and get a repair/replacement/refund.
    I'm not sure if I still have the receipt and the inside of the shoes don't look too good (the dye from my black socks has rubbed off on them).

I saw a pair of Vision Street Wear shoes almost exactly like Vans today and would have gotten them but they didn't have them in my size. I ended up getting another pair that weren't quite as nice. I still might buy a pair of Vans too. I think I prefer the look of them to All Stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

... and the inside of the shoes don't look too good (the dye from my black socks has rubbed off on them).

That doesn't matter. Now shoes should be falling apart after 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I'd bring them back, I love converse and have always gotten years out of them. I also found converse to very breathable, the low cut ones rather than the hi tops but I've never had that experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

I've had one of my fave pair of converse for 5 years and they're still on the go! They look pretty scuffed up at this stage but they'll live to see another year at least. I've never had a problem with the quality tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Something that is made of synthetic materials, including lining, uppers and soles will not let your feet breathe and will cause higher temperature and sweating. There is a very definite limit to what you can expect from such shoes at this price point. A better option might be a pair of loafers or deckshoes such as Dubarry make for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Dunno about the quality, but they have no support and are really bad for your feet!

Dunno about the quality, but they have no support and are really bad for your feet!

I'd believe this. I have a pair of high tops and find them very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I have high tops Converse (about 5 years old now). Still look like new on the outside, but that's mainly because the sole/lining on the inside started to peel away quite early on, so I only wear them on days when I not doing much/any walking. I would get a slip in sole but I'd be afraid that it would raise my feet to the point where they would rub against the top of the shoe.

Much prefer Vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

i bought a pair of high fur lined converse in foot locker for 90euro about 6 years ago. they were probably the worst shoe i ever bought! uncomfortable, scraped the back of my heel, make that squeaky sound, constant blisters, (and obviously being canvas, which i dont think i gave much thought) were useless in the rain. wore them for a few week and threw them in the back of my closet and forgot all about them. ugh! remembering them now, my feet ache!!!

i think vans are way cooler, i had a pair of classic vans not long after the converse i got and they were soo comfortable. and i think theyre more retro than converse. i wore them everywhere. also useless in the rain, but i dont think i minded as much as i did with the converse! :D im a bit more girly than i used to be now tho, but i still think id buy a pair a Vans if i had the money! :)

Advertisement