Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growth experiement

Options
  • 07-06-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey im a third year botany student and im currently doing my thesis on a invasive alien plant thats present on the north dublin islands mainly irelands eye and lambay and comparing it to a member of the same family!

The invasive alien plant is Sedum album and the native one is Sedum anglicum. As part of my project i have to determine how they spread being by seeds, a seed bank or by vegetative reproduction!

I was just wondering would anyone know how to go about testing if the species grows via a seed bank or by vegetative reproduction? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Observation I would imagine. Can you take a plant and study it at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Not been flippant but have you asked your course tutor or whoever is in charge of your thesis for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Possibly:

wild plants by seed (invasive or native or hybrid)
    cultivated plant (sellective breeding)
    vegetative reproduction (identical to parent - invasive or native or hybrid)

maby genetic testing is the answer, but you would have to know the pure specifics of the original plants to draw comparisons as a straightforward ID may not be specific enough.

http://www.sgs.ie/en/Agriculture-Food/Seed-and-Crop/Seed-Services/Genetic-Testing.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Since you are still at the level of primary degree you can use secondary research I would have thought? It is probably well established how these sedums reproduce so its your job to find that research, analyse, review and draw conclusions.

I will stand corrected on this, but that would be my understanding of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Do you know any researchers in Teagasc or the Botanic gardens?

• Advertisement
Advertisement