Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Mick Wallace resign over his VAT 'problem'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

No
    He was shuffling around whatever money came to hand - been there, done that, got the video and t-shirt - it's called the real world.
    Nonsense. It was never his money to touch and he knew it. I suppose you'd defend Sean Fitzpatrick if he stole savers' money to award himself a payrise too? :rolleyes:

Or does he not come from your parish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't care
    Nonsense. It was never his money to touch and he knew it. I suppose you'd defend Sean Fitzpatrick if he stole savers' money to award himself a payrise too? :rolleyes:

Or does he not come from your parish?

I'm not sure of the chronology of events as regards which came first the VAT or the pay rises so won't comment on that. However, you seem to live in a different reality where money is neatly marked VAT, cash we can spend on wages, cash we can spend on drink etc.etc. - if only life was as simple.

Seanie Fitzpatrick did not rob anybody for anybody else other than Seanie Fitzpatrick, he did not do it to keep the workers in Anglo Irish employed or stop the bank going down. There's little point in arguing with you as you insist on tarring everybody with the same brush. Let's declare a truce? I'm more interested in the rugby this weekend than about something which will take its own course regardless - I wonder will Mick or Seanie be flying down to NZ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No
    He was shuffling around whatever money came to hand - been there, done that, got the video and t-shirt - it's called the real world.

So its ok to steal if you use the defense that you live in the real world. He stole that money pure and simple. It wasn't his money and he took it to use himself, same as stealing.

No
    I wonder will Mick or Seanie be flying down to NZ? :D
    I'd be pretty p*ssed off to see either of them there seeing as an ordinary clogger like myself can't justify spending the money to go myself :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

No
    he stole money off the public tax sytem,i dont know how anybody can defend this guy..lol its nuts

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭ShanePouch

While no one can condone what he did, precedent obviously says he should not resign, and the only people who can get him out are his electors.

ON a point of principle, we should not have the arrogance to think we should tell all the electors who elected him that we know better, and their votes are now invalid.

I have often pointed out that the Irish electorate continues to vote for Michael Lowry who often gets the biggest majority in the country, and in the past has also voted for many including that "class act" Berverly Fiddle Flynn, Charles J Haughey and others.

We are a democracy and it is the electors who should judge whether Mr Wallace is elected, and not up to anyone else to decide they don't like the results.

Don't care
    donalg1 wrote: »
    So its ok to steal if you use the defense that you live in the real world. He stole that money pure and simple. It wasn't his money and he took it to use himself, same as stealing.

I never said that it was okay, I said that it's what happens in the real world - suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

No
    Frankly I don't understand the debate at all. He could have claimed that he was going to pay it down the line but the bottom line he deliberately omitted it before he came into the Dail. He should be punished.

No
    ShanePouch wrote: »
    We are a democracy and it is the electors who should judge whether Mr Wallace is elected, and not up to anyone else to decide they don't like the results.
    Who should decide for me whether I like the result then? :confused:

Who should decide for me whether I like the result then? :confused:

We are all at liberty not to like anything we choose. I don't like it myself, I don't like that Lowry is elected time after time, and we are all free to like it or not as we choose.

No on can choose that for you, only you can choose it for yourself. Or not. It's your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No
    While no one can condone what he did, precedent obviously says he should not resign, and the only people who can get him out are his electors.

ON a point of principle, we should not have the arrogance to think we should tell all the electors who elected him that we know better, and their votes are now invalid.

I have often pointed out that the Irish electorate continues to vote for Michael Lowry who often gets the biggest majority in the country, and in the past has also voted for many including that "class act" Berverly Fiddle Flynn, Charles J Haughey and others.

The "Irish" electorate does not elect Lowry, the electorate of N. Tipperary does and I don't like that any more than what is happening here but I can't do anything about it. I can do something about what's happening here though.

bmaxi wrote: »
    The "Irish" electorate does not elect Lowry, the electorate of N. Tipperary does and I don't like that any more than what is happening here but I can't do anything about it. I can do something about what's happening here though.

Of course, and you should try to do whatever you can to do something about whatever is happening in your area. I completely agree.

No
    We are all at liberty not to like anything we choose. I don't like it myself, I don't like that Lowry is elected time after time, and we are all free to like it or not as we choose.

No on can choose that for you, only you can choose it for yourself. Or not. It's your choice.
    Right, but in your previous post you said the opposite:

No
    I never said that it was okay, I said that it's what happens in the real world - suck it up.

So if someone steals from your business they can just say suck it up, and you will go ok thats fair enough help yourself.

I seriously doubt it.

And in the real world people dont steal they work hard for a living and conduct themselves with some level of integrity and honesty thats the real world.

Those that steal live in the criminal world with the rest of the degenerates that exist outside of the real world and outside of normal society. The day their actions are accepted by the masses will be a sad day for this country, thats why the likes of Mick Wallace should not be supported when they break the law.

Right, but in your previous post you said the opposite:

Oh dear. yes, I did. By saying "...not up to anyone else to decide they don't like the results..." in the context meant to challenge the results and try to overturn a democratic decision by those who elected Mr Wallace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

Mick Wallace would be re elected in a heart beat, he has probably "fixed the roads" in his constituency, and sure isnt he a great lad showing that shower in Dublin by not paying his taxes. The irish love a cute whore, any one who screws the system, yeah you stabbed me in the back but more power to you because I should have been looking, and sure if your a local then your a local, thats all that matter. Ugh, Its a sign of our woeful self esteem. He is not fit for office not just because of this controversy but because he is not that bright, he really isnt and proves it every time he opens his mouth. We all know at this stage you dont have to be intelligent to be a developer....or an elected politician.

missyb wrote: »
    Mick Wallace would be re elected in a heart beat, he has probably "fixed the roads" in his constituency, and sure isnt he a great lad showing that shower in Dublin by not paying his taxes. The irish love a cute whore, any one who screws the system, yeah you stabbed me in the back but more power to you because I should have been looking, and sure if your a local then your a local, thats all that matter. Ugh, Its a sign of our woeful self esteem. He is not fit for office not just because of this controversy but because he is not that bright, he really isnt and proves it every time he opens his mouth. We all know at this stage you dont have to be intelligent to be a developer....or an elected politician.

All that shows is your apparent contempt for the electorate. You don't suggest another system for electing politicians as an alternative.

Don't care

If being bright was a prerequisite for being in the Dail it would be empty - look at Enda and Gilmore ffs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No

He has a degree from UCD so couldn't be that thick.

......Though trying to feck off quietly to the Euro 2012 Championship and leaving your car parked illegally in a private car park at Dublin Airport doesn't ring of "using ones loaf" to be honest. He could have just parked it in the short term and most of us would be none the wiser he was even out of the country.

vicwatson wrote: »
    He has a degree from UCD so couldn't be that thick.

......Though trying to feck off quietly to the Euro 2012 Championship and leaving your car parked illegally in a private car park at Dublin Airport doesn't ring of "using ones loaf" to be honest. He could have just parked it in the short term and most of us would be none the wiser he was even out of the country.

I'm just envious that he has the apparent sills to avoid the outrageous charges charged for parking at Dublin Airport!

Incidentally, how do you know his car was parked illegally?

• Advertisement

No
    If being bright was a prerequisite for being in the Dail it would be empty - look at Enda and Gilmore ffs. :rolleyes:

Once again, diversionary tactics.
    Explain to us, once and for all, just what the failings real or otherwise, of Kenny or Gilmore or any other T.D, have to do with Mick Wallace stealing from the taxpayers of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No
    I'm just envious that he has the apparent sills to avoid the outrageous charges charged for parking at Dublin Airport!

Incidentally, how do you know his car was parked illegally?

Eh because last I knew he wasn't an Aer Lingus employee and the car park is for the sole occupancy of Aer Lingus employees :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Domenkidu

No
    Domenkidu wrote: »

Wallace wouldn't be the first developer to leave his "subbies" up **** street, the real crime is that nothing is being done to make him the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Domenkidu

No
    bmaxi wrote: »
    Wallace wouldn't be the first developer to leave his "subbies" up **** street, the real crime is that nothing is being done to make him the last.

Quite right - it also pokes a rather large hole in the "he only evaded tax so he could pay his employees, who he cares so much about" argument.

No
    Domenkidu wrote: »
    Quite right - it also pokes a rather large hole in the "he only evaded tax so he could pay his employees, who he cares so much about" argument.

True, but then I dont think anyone would actually believe that argument, it was obvious he took the money for himself and not to "pay his staff", not a bit of honour in that man despite what he might try and say

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

No
    You can see what is wrong in irish politics by looking at the appearance of the man .

Don't care
    paddyandy wrote: »
    You can see what is wrong in irish politics by looking at the appearance of the man .

What sort of a meaningless comment is that?

Photocall-88-CHARLES-HAUGHEY-000172251-630x332.jpg

Would you be happier if he dressed like Squire Haughey or some of his cronies? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

paddyandy wrote: »

Are you trying to imply that Irish voters vote on trite appearances and don't care about actual values??? Or they don't care about dress pomposity and vote for values. Or the level of corruption in irish politics can be gauged by the pinkness of his shirt or the whiteness of his hair?

Is there even a point to your statement?

By his own admission, Michael Wallace signed a fraudulent VAT return, he's a crook, it has nothing to do with his dress sense or his hairstyle.

• Advertisement

No
    It's probably the non conformist look that a lot of political rebels think makes them stand out as a "man of the people". Remember Bertie in the anorak and wellies visiting the flooded areas of Drumcondra while still managing to stay within a stone's throw of Fagans?
    The Sinners all had the casual look for a while too but I see even O'Snodaigh on TV now, dressed in what looks like an Armani suit and at least a Louis Copeland shirt and tie. Poachers turned gamekeepers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement