Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Mick Wallace resign over his VAT 'problem'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

vicwatson wrote: »
    He has a degree from UCD so couldn't be that thick.

To be fair that means SFA. Look at those people who caused our economy to collapse, most of them had degrees from top rated universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No
    I think Mick went for election with the intention of making a mockery of the system and as he knew there was trouble ahead , he wanted to influence his own downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

No
    bmaxi wrote: »
    The Sinners all had the casual look for a while too but I see even O'Snodaigh on TV now, dressed in what looks like an Armani suit and at least a Louis Copeland shirt and tie.

Did the shinners rob a bank or something? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

No
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    To be fair that means SFA. Look at those people who caused our economy to collapse, most of them had degrees from top rated universities.

They did indeed. Cowen and Lenihan had law degrees and they were ministers for finance :rolleyes: Next time I need the plumber I'll call the carpenter instead. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Did the shinners rob a bank or something? :pac:

Not today AFAIK. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Don't care
    Did Anglo Irish Bank rob Ireland? ( of billions)

No
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Did Anglo Irish Bank rob Ireland? ( of billions)

How many of them are in Dail Eireann?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No
    Mod Note

The only reason this topic is still open is because its a very serious issue with the locally elected TD for Wexford while being current affairs. Saying that, the last political thread went down hill very fast and this is heading in that direction.

Keep it civil and keep it on topic (talking about the affairs of other TDs/former TDs/Governments/Banks/Bailouts etc is not relevant).

If it continues in a downward spiral, there wont be any warnings and it will be just closed.

Any questions PM myself or scaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

No
    I'd be inclined to sympathise with Mick Wallace myself - he's not the worst of them by a long shot and we need more of his general ilk in the Dail. I admire his apparent honesty. But...... he crossed a line - if you collect a tax like VAT from the public, you've a duty to mind it and pay it over when the payment is due. He and his company (one and the same in my view, I can't stand this hiding behind limited liability) effectively 'stole' that money by using it to pay other creditors - that's the bottom line. And I'm sure he'd be the amongst the first to say, people have to be held accountable. How can he speak with any credibility at all, on any further public issue? People will just laugh at him.. so he has to do the decent thing: retire, get an honest job and start paying back what he owes for the rest of his days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

No
    BarryD wrote: »
    I admire his apparent honesty.
    This is the key point. They are all honest until they are caught. He stood for election and went on protest marches about cuts in services while knowing that he was personally responsible for at least €1.4 million euros of those cuts.

• Advertisement

No
    BarryD wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to sympathise with Mick Wallace myself - he's not the worst of them by a long shot and we need more of his general ilk in the Dail. I admire his apparent honesty. But...... he crossed a line - if you collect a tax like VAT from the public, you've a duty to mind it and pay it over when the payment is due. He and his company (one and the same in my view, I can't stand this hiding behind limited liability) effectively 'stole' that money by using it to pay other creditors - that's the bottom line. And I'm sure he'd be the amongst the first to say, people have to be held accountable. How can he speak with any credibility at all, on any further public issue? People will just laugh at him.. so he has to do the decent thing: retire, get an honest job and start paying back what he owes for the rest of his days..

We have to decide the calibre of those we wish to represent us in Parliament. If we decide it's OK for a criminal to represent our views then we are saying that his standards are our standards. If Wallace had come to your door and said, " I deprived your child of a teacher or I deprived your child of a life saving procedure", would you be rushing out to vote for him? After all, he was being honest.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note

stay on topic. Read post 309. This thread is about MIck Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Very good
    Mick Wallace should be out for the following reasons
    1)he only came clean after being alerted that he was getting an audit.ie he was caught defrauding government
    2) prior to all this he gave his son a hefty pay rise knowing he wad up to his neck in debt.ie cheating the system
    3)He is a public rep and his word on any issues dealing with tax evasion holds no stock and indeed at this stage in the game for all needs to lead by example.
    4) there was a guy locked up for not paying vat on garlic he imported and passed apples off as the goods he was importing. Rhe least Muck should get is a removal from office
    5)Im sure he's a nice guy but he knew what he was at and should have declared himself bankrupt sooner and come clean.ie deceitful
    6)where do you draw the line regarding the pedigree of Dail members?
    I don't buy his idea of protecting the workers. The revenue are also aware of this and agreements could have been made
    The likes of the other chancers have been tolerated too long.

This lad then tries to talk about the countries finances when his own are a complete mess and he cant even manage himself and wants to advise others on what to do with their money, he really is having a laugh.

The only reason he announced it now was because he was caught and it was going to be published anyway, if it wasnt going to be published would he have announced it? I hardly think so!!

Couldnt beleive people were silly enough to vote for him in the first place, and cant believe people would even consider doing so again.[/QUOTE]

He would top the poll in the morning as Lowry did in Tipperary.
    That sadly is the mentality of some of the Irish voters
    "Sure didn't he get that factory built great man !!l"
    Ballsology of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't care
    me bolly wrote: »
    This lad then tries to talk about the countries finances when his own are a complete mess and he cant even manage himself and wants to advise others on what to do with their money, he really is having a laugh.

The only reason he announced it now was because he was caught and it was going to be published anyway, if it wasnt going to be published would he have announced it? I hardly think so!!

Couldnt beleive people were silly enough to vote for him in the first place, and cant believe people would even consider doing so again.

Ballsology of the highest order[/QUOTE]

Afraid your pre-conceived ideas about the man are showing through, whatever he may have done. What reason was there not to vote for Mick Wallace prior to all the VAT information getting out? He has done more around Wexford than all those chancers like Browne, Kehoe and Howlin have ever done - what would you have the voters do, elect another party hack plank? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No
    Ballsology of the highest order

Afraid your pre-conceived ideas about the man are showing through, whatever he may have done. What reason was there not to vote for Mick Wallace prior to all the VAT information getting out? He has done more around Wexford than all those chancers like Browne, Kehoe and Howlin have ever done - what would you have the voters do, elect another party hack plank? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well apart from the fact he owed millions to banks and was one of the poster boys of everything that is wrong with this country.

The only thing he has done for Wexford since being elected is embarrass the people of Wexford and bring shame to the County which I suppose is more than the other have done.:rolleyes:

donalg1 wrote: »
    Afraid your pre-conceived ideas about the man are showing through, whatever he may have done. What reason was there not to vote for Mick Wallace prior to all the VAT information getting out? He has done more around Wexford than all those chancers like Browne, Kehoe and Howlin have ever done - what would you have the voters do, elect another party hack plank? :rolleyes:

Well apart from the fact he owed millions to banks and was one of the poster boys of everything that is wrong with this country.

The only thing he has done for Wexford since being elected is embarrass the people of Wexford and bring shame to the County which I suppose is more than the other have done.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

And if he stood again in Wexford he would be voted in again by the people of Wexford to give the Wexford people an opportunity to give the people of Wexford the opportunity to give the two fingers to the bankers who got the great man who into the mess he is on today.
    Afterall he has done more for Wexford than Howlin!

No
    me bolly wrote: »

The only thing he has done for Wexford since being elected is embarrass the people of Wexford and bring shame to the County which I suppose is more than the other have done.:rolleyes:

And if he stood again in Wexford he would be voted in again by the people of Wexford to give the Wexford people an opportunity to give the people of Wexford the opportunity to give the two fingers to the bankers who got the great man who into the mess he is on today.
    Afterall he has done more for Wexford than Howlin![/QUOTE]

:confused:

Don't care
    Would the anti-Mick Wallace brigade please sing off the same hymn sheet. :D

No

Mostly we do, we all agree he is an incoherent idiot, who consistently and openly breaks the law, and laughs about it while living in luxury.

• Advertisement

No

Not anti Mick Wallace per se, would be just as "anti" anybody who did what he did. Let's not add martyrdom into the mix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

No
    i dont see why wexford has supported him,he did take public money - hes a thief,a theif in the dail with a job in the dail but a theif all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

Don't care
    Thief !! His busniess went to the wall, he had more creditors/ liabilities than debtors/ assets. Thats what happens when business's go bust. It would be very very unusual for a business to cease trading and not owe Revenue money. Very easy for people to judge the man from the outside, ask any business people who have traded under severe pressure, its a hard walk. He made a false declaration and subsequently rectified it, even if he had originally made a correct declaration , there were insufficient funds to pay Revenue anyways. Kicking him whilst down is very easy. Don'y know the man at all, never met or spoke to him, but no need to keep kicking him.

Secman

secman wrote: »
    Thief !! His busniess went to the wall, he had more creditors/ liabilities than debtors/ assets. Thats what happens when business's go bust. It would be very very unusual for a business to cease trading and not owe Revenue money. Very easy for people to judge the man from the outside, ask any business people who have traded under severe pressure, its a hard walk. He made a false declaration and subsequently rectified it, even if he had originally made a correct declaration , there were insufficient funds to pay Revenue anyways. Kicking him whilst down is very easy. Don'y know the man at all, never met or spoke to him, but no need to keep kicking him.

Is he related to the Stokes twins?

Don't care
    I note in today's Enniscorthy Guardian in a report on the demise of the €EU Shop chain that they also owe VAT and PRSI. How can this be, surely they noticed some of their money had VAT stamped on it and more of it clearly marked PRSI. At the end of the day when businesses are struggling they pay whoever is the most important to them - i.e. suppliers and the money - what there is of it - is not neatly separated into tidy little piles marked VAT/PRSI etc. Some people here are just so full of **** when it comes to their blinkered attacks on Mick Wallace. If anybody is an embarrassment to Wexford it's those TDs who have been repeatedly re-elected and done nothing for the county for decades.

I note in today's Enniscorthy Guardian in a report on the demise of the €EU Shop chain that they also owe VAT and PRSI. How can this be, surely they noticed some of their money had VAT stamped on it and more of it clearly marked PRSI. At the end of the day when businesses are struggling they pay whoever is the most important to them - i.e. suppliers and the money - what there is of it - is not neatly separated into tidy little piles marked VAT/PRSI etc. Some people here are just so full of **** when it comes to their blinkered attacks on Mick Wallace. If anybody is an embarrassment to Wexford it's those TDs who have been repeatedly re-elected and done nothing for the county for decades.

People can make as many excuses about not paying VAT but the fact of the matter is some people should never run a business as like the Stokes twins they simply hadn't a clue and it was all entrepeneurial bluff and bluster.
    Mick Wallace probably over extended himself and should have been able to calculate what he owed the state any given year
    I'm sure he's a hard working man but you have to lead by example.His word has no stock in the Dail.It's nothing to do with the guy himself it could be anyone.Staying in the Dail and taking half pay really won't work.I would like to see the Seanad abolished and the TD number cut by half.in fact an audit should be done on every one of them not just Mick Wallace and they should have to leave if they defrauded the state.It's a sorry mess

No

Thats odd I thought I read in the paper a couple of weeks ago about Mick owing one of his sub contractors 28k, all the while he is off at the Euro's having great craic, and getting paid 90k a year, while the sub contractor is struggling and could probably do with the money Mick owes him.

Blinkered attacks are one thing but stone cold facts are quite another. Fact is he deliberately stole that money for his own ends regardless of his apparent reasoning (a load of bs really) he stole it and thats the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

No

There is a difference between owing VAT, and deliberately lying about it. Mick Wallace didn't just fail to pay - he falsified accounts to pretend he didn't owe it in the first place.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Thats odd I thought I read in the paper a couple of weeks ago about Mick owing one of his sub contractors 28k, all the while he is off at the Euro's having great craic, and getting paid 90k a year, while the sub contractor is struggling and could probably do with the money Mick owes him.

Blinkered attacks are one thing but stone cold facts are quite another. Fact is he deliberately stole that money for his own ends regardless of his apparent reasoning (a load of bs really) he stole it and thats the bottom line.

Would be a nice gesture if he gave that sub contractor the keys of his BMW X5 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Don't care
    Yeah, cos an eight year old LHD X5 is worth a small fortune.

The word on the street is that no one who worked for Wallace directly is owed money, obviously some subcontractors who worked on Wallace sites got caught when the bubble ended, much like Wallace himself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement