Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Mick Wallace resign over his VAT 'problem'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Don't care
    donalg1 wrote: »
    Can't believe he is at the euros too the sheer cheek of him is astonishing. He is off over there living it up at the tax payers expense and now he expects them to pay him another two million to top it off, and you actually defend him. I'd laugh if it wasn't so disgraceful.

Don't believe everything you hear in the media. He is not at the euros. I spotted him and his solicitor in Enniscorthy yesterday (Saturday) evening. Don't know if he is flying over just for a match today but he was strolling around Enniscorthy Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't care
    jordata wrote: »
    Don't believe everything you hear in the media. He is not at the euros. I spotted him and his solicitor in Enniscorthy yesterday (Saturday) evening. Don't know if he is flying over just for a match today but he was strolling around Enniscorthy Saturday.

Well, even the man himself says that he's off to the Euros so that's not in any doubt.

Edit: Just heard on the radio that he may have cancelled his trip due to the hysteria over the affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No
    You are either too young to remember, or deliberately choose to forget, that it was the crooks in bespoke suits like Haughey, Ray Burke, Ahern etc. that destroyed this country not ageing hippies like Mick Wallace - with him what you see is what you get!

We know all about Haughey, Burke, Ahern and Co. Are you suggesting that just because there have been other crooks in politics it's all right to be a crook? That's just the attitude that has sustained these people over the years.

Don't care
    bmaxi wrote: »
    We know all about Haughey, Burke, Ahern and Co. Are you suggesting that just because there have been other crooks in politics it's all right to be a crook? That's just the attitude that has sustained these people over the years.

Where did I say that? I was merely pointing out the stupidity of judging a book by its cover. If one was to do that we should have the best governed country in the World as there's no lack of money spent on suits in the Dail - why would there be, on the outrageous salaries and expenses they are on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

No
    It's funny nothing happens to him but a guy who declared the wrong stuff into this hell hole of a country called Ireland gets six years in jail

Once again one rule for the rich one for the poor..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No
    Where did I say that? I was merely pointing out the stupidity of judging a book by its cover. If one was to do that we should have the best governed country in the World as there's no lack of money spent on suits in the Dail - why would there be, on the outrageous salaries and expenses they are on?

That's the implication in the post I quoted. You started the thread with a specific question about Mick Wallace, bringing Haughey, Ahern etc. into the equation is seen as an attempt to ameliorate his actions.
    Nobody is judging a book by it's cover, the book has been opened and read and seen for what it is, that's the whole basis of the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Chiparus wrote: »
    But he did not personally gain from it. He used the money to pay his workers.

So it's ok for me to rob a bank than, providing I give some of the money to charity?

And Mick Wallace wasn't a victim of the property bubble, he was a player.

Don't care
    Cork24 wrote: »
    It's funny nothing happens to him but a guy who declared the wrong stuff into this hell hole of a country called Ireland gets six years in jail

Once again one rule for the rich one for the poor..

I think the jailing of Mr.Begley for the garlic affair was outrageous but without going into the details of it, he set out to routinely defraud the State over a number of years - my reading of Mick Wallace's actions is that while they were wrong they were of a fire brigade nature. Anyway it's not comparing like with like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

No
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Yeah, his company is in recievership, but that's not NAMA

he is still getting a govt agency to bail him out ,ie joe public,like i said before all these micks,gombeens and nepotists and so called do gooders should be shoved out the door of the dail with him..(dont fool yourself these people didnt get into politics to represent you or me,its themselves and their asses they want bailing out by you)

it takes the public to get rid of them,and i have little faith in the public either,given the yes vote,(not that we really had a choice anyway)..

whenever a shoddy political moneygrubbing corrupt party gets in,they turn around and blame us saying '' well shure you voted us in''..what choices do we have?between the usual parties,were not spoiled for choice what we have are:
    1 fianna fail - corrupt
    2 fine gael - jobbridge scam ,corrupt,forcing yes votes on us
    3 labour - joan burton part of the jobbridge scam saga,ruari quinn falsely claiming thousands in expenses,and mary harney fas scandal
    Those are basically the three main parties other choices we have are:
    4 independants - money sharks and proportiers or farmers on a second income
    5 sinn fein - apparently still with the ra,and havent come up with a good alternative to the yes vote according to fine gael
    6 greens - universal social charge,leader of the greens was scamming for travel,and has two offices that are an added expense to joe public

Don't care
    So what's your alternative?

• Advertisement

No
    Well i wouldnt so much call it an alternative,as i think the whole dail needs an overhaul,we need to change the way politics in ireland is done too,there needs to be a more inclusive system in place.where joe public is not just in the witness stand,(s)he can participate in policy and law making,they should have a public body representing the public in the dail,where oridanry people get their say in passing laws,and what we get to vote on..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Don't care
    So you view Mick wallaces dail salary as a bailout, its rather disengenuos to describe it as that, is it just Wallace you object to being paid?

No
    hes was in debt, gone bankrupt,and has been appointed recievership,so he is being bailed out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

hes was in debt, gone bankrupt,and has been appointed recievership,so he is being bailed out.

I disagree with a lot of Wallaces policies and the way he conducted business etc, but would you at least get facts right about him if you want to argue against him. You are just spouting nonsense sensationalist headlines that arent true in trying to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

No
    Easy to take the moral high ground but anyone who has every run a business will know that this sort of thing is what keeps the economy ticking over.

Not so... Most people make an accurate declaration & make late payments. There is approx €1.4 billion currently outstanding in overdue taxes where business made honest & correct declarations to revenue but have cash-flow problems resulting in delayed payment. Revenue work with theses businesses & come to an arrangement with them - it's in no ones interest to put them out of business. Nearly 500m is outstanding for 3+ years so clearly the revenue do allow so leeway.

Mick Wallace on the other hand made a false declaration & understated the amount he owed.
    This is fraud.

Is it a coincidence that recievors are being appointed to his co when he decides to come clean?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

No
    Outside is often a reflection of the inside . Colours do oft' declare the man ...the bard .

Don't care

Again with the sensationalist LIES, Wallace is not bankrupt, his company is in recievership, he is being paid to represent us in the dail -that's not a bail out.

Tell ya what if you think you could do it better how about you stand for election next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

he is still getting a govt agency to bail him out ,ie joe public,like i said before all these micks,gombeens and nepotists and so called do gooders should be shoved out the door of the dail with him..(dont fool yourself these people didnt get into politics to represent you or me,its themselves and their asses they want bailing out by you)

it takes the public to get rid of them,and i have little faith in the public either,given the yes vote,(not that we really had a choice anyway)..

whenever a shoddy political moneygrubbing corrupt party gets in,they turn around and blame us saying '' well shure you voted us in''..what choices do we have?between the usual parties,were not spoiled for choice what we have are:
    1 fianna fail - corrupt
    2 fine gael - jobbridge scam ,corrupt,forcing yes votes on us
    3 labour - joan burton part of the jobbridge scam saga,ruari quinn falsely claiming thousands in expenses,and mary harney fas scandal
    Those are basically the three main parties other choices we have are:
    4 independants - money sharks and proportiers or farmers on a second income
    5 sinn fein - apparently still with the ra,and havent come up with a good alternative to the yes vote according to fine gael
    6 greens - universal social charge,leader of the greens was scamming for travel,and has two offices that are an added expense to joe public

When did Mata Harney change parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 redhot

No

Yes, "what you see is what you get", you're right Judgement day. Its not stupidity though, he's a disgrace, can't be bothered and takes everyone for a ride. Its a duck I tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Don't care
    donalg1 wrote: »
    Ha ha how is doubling his salary not personally gaining from it?

Seriously?

He doubled his salary in 2007 ( year ending 2008), the VAT occurred in 2009,

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/wallace-doubled-money-paid-to-himself-and-son-even-as-financial-troubles-began-to-hit-3133010.html

note the Newspaper does not acuse him of doubling his pay while failing to pay the VAT.

• Advertisement

No
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Again with the sensationalist LIES, Wallace is not bankrupt, his company is in recievership, he is being paid to represent us in the dail -that's not a bail out.

Tell ya what if you think you could do it better how about you stand for election next time round.

What do you call a company thats in recivership?And he IS in debt he even said it himself..

What do you call a company thats in recivership?And he IS in debt he even said it himself..

is he being bailed out?
    Has he been declared bankrupt?

No
    he is facing bankrupcy why do you choose to ignore this completely are you suggesting he has no financial difficulties?

this man does not represent me,you say hes paid to represent us,good job hes doing fiddling his financials and misrepresenting himself..oh and he hired a hitman not so long ago to do his dirty work..nice 'misunderstood hippy like fella' we have here,he may cultivate the image,but he is still a nasty piece of work.http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/wallace-threatened-to-use-hitman-to-collect-debt-554731.html
    not so long ago he was living it up like a king in some hotel having an expensive luxurious time while the rest of us struggle on..

Don't care
    if they could Bankrupt him they would have done it by now.

and thats brilliant about the Hitman that sort of initiative is why a lot of us voted for Wallace.

No
    it wouldnt be so brilliant if that hitman was knocking down your door,he even owned a gun,nice guy wallace,hes there to kick the poor when their down and out..just the sort of people orientated person we need..right?

Don't care
    oddly enough I dont think the Guy in question would be counted as one of the 'Poor'

he is facing bankrupcy why do you choose to ignore this completely are you suggesting he has no financial difficulties?

this man does not represent me,you say hes paid to represent us,good job hes doing fiddling his financials and misrepresenting himself..oh and he hired a hitman not so long ago to do his dirty work..nice 'misunderstood hippy like fella' we have here,he may cultivate the image,but he is still a nasty piece of work.http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/wallace-threatened-to-use-hitman-to-collect-debt-554731.html
    not so long ago he was living it up like a king in some hotel having an expensive luxurious time while the rest of us struggle on..

no, he didnt.

Do you have a problem reading the links you are posting up yourself? By all means, slate the man, but will you at least get your facts right if you want to do it. You are repeatedly stating inaccuracies and lies.

As i said, I'm no fan of him, nor his policies, and I think he should step down from office after this revenue issue, but at least argue the facts and not some hyped up sensationalist headlines that arent true.

• Advertisement

No
    Read it then..yourself,he did hire a hitman whoeven admitted to owning a gun..Read ot for yourself..First you call me a liar.Then you say im quoting sensationalist headlines..Make ur mind up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement