Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Mick Wallace resign over his VAT 'problem'?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

MOD WARNING.

Be civil to each other on this thread or it will be locked and posts deleted also please dont use CAPS in posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

No
    okay,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No
    On the South-East Radio morning mix , there was a poll , and 53% wants Mick to remain a TD and 47% want him to resign .

just saying .........

No
    I wonder what kind of a poll was that,maybe it was the office radio poll and they were just being polite to him..If it wasnt and it was the public at large well thats a different story..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Read it then..yourself,he did hire a hitman whoeven admitted to owning a gun..Read ot for yourself..First you call me a liar.Then you say im quoting sensationalist headlines..Make ur mind up!

no, this is the bit you should read:
    Of course, I never would have dreamt of actually hiring the hitman. I only used him as leverage, but it worked

so no, he did not hire a hitman. its pretty basic. same as the fact that he has not been made bankrupt, despite your claims to the contrary.

• Advertisement

No
    he did hire a hit man to threaten the guy so ya he did,and even if it is as leverage it is still a threatening situation..he did the interview for the examiner there his own words,he said the guy made a living from the gun..again his own words..

remember this guy mick wallace,has been caught missapropriating public tax money he took it,he took the public taxes he was part of revenue..

his hippy do la ming flanagan appearance shouldnt fool anybody this guy is a nasty piece of work..

there was a guy who got 6 years for flying in boat loads of garlic avoiding a seller tax,and what does mick wallace get for jail..nothing

one rule for the little guy another rule for the double jobbing sharks in the dail..

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Don't care
    he did hire a hit man to threaten the guy so ya he did,and even if it is as leverage it is still a threatening situation..he did the interview for the examiner there his own words,he said the guy made a living from the gun..again his own words..

remember this guy mick wallace,has been caught missapropriating public tax money he took it,he took the public taxes he was part of revenue..

his hippy do la ming flanagan appearance shouldnt fool anybody this guy is a nasty piece of work..

there was a guy who got 6 years for flying in boat loads of garlic avoiding a seller tax,and what does mick wallace get for jail..nothing

one rule for the little guy another rule for the double jobbing sharks in the dail..

No he didnt. Stop saying he did. Ringing somebody is hardly 'hiring' him is it. The whole story has an air of 'pubtalk' about it anyway. Whos to say mick wallace wont get jail by the way. The garlic tax envasion occurred in 2007 and he was only jailed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Don't care
    you seem to have missed the nuanced point of the Leveraging aspect, Wallace didnt Hire a hitman, he had a conversation with a local Thug, one who would be known to the guy that owed him money. word got back to the guy, he promptly found the money he owed wallace. thats clever business nothing sinister about that.

the way you phrased the second part of your post, Misapropriated Public tax revenues, you make it sound as if it was something he did whilst in office, I believe you have done this to be deliberatley misleading, please Stop, Walaces company filed an incorrect VAT return during a time of great financial stress, it was done with the intent of paying his staff, suppliers and contractors in the short term with the hope that there might be a recovery where it would be possible to recoup the shortfall

and as for Paul Begly being the Little fellow, well right there youare talkin out of your ass, I happen to know Begley, I wont get into a discussion about his character as it could get Boards into trouble, but know that he hired himself a Helicopter so that he could swan about to the different farms who were growing produce for him and play the bigshot, Begley was involved in a long term and systematic scam to defraud the exchequer which activley destroyed the Domestic garlic market, there were no mitigating circumstances in Begleys case and he was driven purely by greed.

No
    why are you so intent on defending a guy who has missapropriated public money who took it and did what he wanted with it,this guy was part of revenue,public tax,yours and my money he collected and kept,misrepresented his financials,he is a CROOK!

He 'talked' to a hitman still same result he got what he wanted.. to intimidate those down on their luck,he would do that to anybody who is down on their luck,ie you or me..This guy is a nasty piece of work..His misunderstood image doesnt fool nobody and he doesnt have much sympathy now that people know what he is..

And stop spinning it like i was defending beglelys actions I WASNT..i was making comparisons as to how he got six years and this ****ing crook got none..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

No
    It's John Browne that goes to all the funerals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

No
    i would prefer in cases like his, people who owe monies to the tax system be it vat or whatever, no matter what their background,
    that they pay it into the system on instalment basis say once a week or month, and when they stop or refuse payment that they be brought to court and receive five to ten yrs minimun sentence automatically,
    that way we would have the revenue coming in, and not paying to keep them in jail costing us more to keep them along with the loss of millions.
    things need to be kept moving,

do i think that he should resign his seat, yes , if he did not tell his electorate the truth.
    no, if, he told them about this, it is the enormous sum that concerns me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't care
    john47 wrote: »
    It's John Browne that goes to all the funerals...

When he gets time away from O'Brien's Sandwich Bar and counting his disappointment money. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

No
    In fairness, while he never hired a hitman, what he did was send a clear message to the guy that if he didn't pay up, he was going to get the **** kicked out of him or worse. He made a clear threat of physical harm, just because it was idle doens't make it ok. That's much like him holding a gun to the guys head and then saying afterwards "Ah, I wouldn't have shot him though. The gun was only leverage"

Don't care
    Again, Stop using the phrase 'misapropriated public money' his company under reported VAT revenue, at the time Wallace was not a public representative so your claim about public funds is deliberately misleading for sensationalist purposes

Don't care
    BTW the developer in question was not 'down on his luck' he's a notorious prick when it comes to getting paid, a good indication of how not down on his luck he was is the fact that the monies owed were found the next day

As a matter of disclosure, I come from Bannow, so I know the characters being discussed personally, I find it humorous. That you would jump to the defence of two unrepentent scoundrels simply to get a perceived dig at hairy Mick.

No
    once again,you misread my posts,i am not here to defend anybody caught in wrongdoing,including holier than thou mick wallace,he had his son paid and all..hes no angel he hired a hitman to go ' talk' to some guy..he is a nasty piece of work

i wasnt defending the other guy,i was merely making comparisons,as to how he got six years for bringing in boat loads of garlic,but yet mick wallace has yet to face a day in jail..he took public money and did what he pleased and misrepresented his financials he was fiddling public money..how can you defend him?

again..im not defending other guy..

Don't care
    So Sasha shouldn't be paid for the work he does?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Don't care
    he is facing bankrupcy why do you choose to ignore this completely are you suggesting he has no financial difficulties?

this man does not represent me,you say hes paid to represent us,good job hes doing fiddling his financials and misrepresenting himself..oh and he hired a hitman not so long ago to do his dirty work..nice 'misunderstood hippy like fella' we have here,he may cultivate the image,but he is still a nasty piece of work.http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/wallace-threatened-to-use-hitman-to-collect-debt-554731.html
    not so long ago he was living it up like a king in some hotel having an expensive luxurious time while the rest of us struggle on..
    it wouldnt be so brilliant if that hitman was knocking down your door,he even owned a gun,nice guy wallace,hes there to kick the poor when their down and out..just the sort of people orientated person we need..right?

why are you so intent on defending a guy who has missapropriated public money who took it and did what he wanted with it,this guy was part of revenue,public tax,yours and my money he collected and kept,misrepresented his financials,he is a CROOK!

He 'talked' to a hitman still same result he got what he wanted.. to intimidate those down on their luck,he would do that to anybody who is down on their luck,ie you or me..This guy is a nasty piece of work..His misunderstood image doesnt fool nobody and he doesnt have much sympathy now that people know what he is..

And stop spinning it like i was defending beglelys actions I WASNT..i was making comparisons as to how he got six years and this ****ing crook got none..
    once again,you misread my posts,i am not here to defend anybody caught in wrongdoing,including holier than thou mick wallace,he had his son paid and all..hes no angel he hired a hitman to go ' talk' to some guy..he is a nasty piece of work

i wasnt defending the other guy,i was merely making comparisons,as to how he got six years for bringing in boat loads of garlic,but yet mick wallace has yet to face a day in jail..he took public money and did what he pleased and misrepresented his financials he was fiddling public money..how can you defend him?

Do you think you could stop posting the same stuff everytime you post. You are like a tabloid newspaper on steriods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

No
    Amazing that some want him to stay on, in his untenable position as a representitive at Leinster Hse.
    That lot deserve the government they get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I must be reading a different article to you. Just so I am 100% clear, could you please quote the part in whatever article you are reading where Mick Wallace hired a hitman to go talk to some guy. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Don't care
    JustinDee wrote: »
    Amazing that some want him to stay on, in his untenable position as a representitive at Leinster Hse.

Hump off back to the Rugby Forum would you and leave our Mick alone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

Don't care
    Have to laugh at the TD's lining up calling for Wallace to resign...... when did an Irish politician last resign ! Mick , stay there and rub their noses in it. FG & Labour totally misled the country with their broken promises and we can do nothing about that. The country is up to its bo..ox in BILLIONS and these useless F ckers jump on this opportunity to jump all over Wallace over €2m. Jaysus they waste numerous times this on Pension payoffs etc every year.

STAY MICK

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

I don't give a damn whether he goes or stays. He is no different to the other 165 in there.

That said, the people of Wexford should have the opportunity to decide & if he has any balls he would step down and facilitate an opportunity to allow them decide.

If they decide to retain him, I would then simply cut the allowance of Wexford General Hospital by Eur2.1m (or schools of their choice), or ideally Social Welfare payments in the county, to reflect their generosity of spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

JustinDee wrote: »

Remember he picked up the floating Fianna Fail vote!!!

Have you ever hear the saying 'if you lie with dogs, you'll catch flea's"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No
    The flea's must have been there before he lay with the dogs .

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I don't give a damn whether he goes or stays. He is no different to the other 165 in there.

That said, the people of Wexford should have the opportunity to decide & if he has any balls he would step down and facilitate an opportunity to allow them decide.

If they decide to retain him, I would then simply cut the allowance of Wexford General Hospital by Eur2.1m (or schools of their choice), or ideally Social Welfare payments in the county, to reflect their generosity of spirit.

I reckon the Catholic church owes the Irish people at least €2.1m if not 100 to 1000 times that. Maybe they'd be so good as to offer some help and not take it out on the people of Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No
    When you charge VAT you are acting as a collector for the government, its never actually your own money, so he wasnt entitled to "dip into" it in the first place.

If this was any other FG, FF or Lab TD there would be huge outrage and for some reason people are defending MW by saying "sure they are all they same" - as if this is some sort of mitigating factor.

He committed a serious crime and needs to be punished for it.

Don't care
    ColHol wrote: »
    When you charge VAT you are acting as a collector for the government, its never actually your own money, so he wasnt entitled to "dip into" it in the first place.

If this was any other FG, FF or Lab TD there would be huge outrage and for some reason people are defending MW by saying "sure they are all they same" - as if this is some sort of mitigating factor.

He committed a serious crime and needs to be punished for it.

His 'crime' has been dealt with by the Revenue Commissioners and that's that. It remains to be seen if they get their money but that depends on Mick Wallace's finances. We can't just make up the law as we go along to feed a public - media inspired - frenzy for retribution. This whole Mick Wallace affair suits the government down to the ground as it takes the spotlight off the country's finances and the EU/Euro project going down the toilet. There's NO Plan .A. let alone Plan .B. to save the country from joining Greece/Spain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

No
    Like a previous poster said, if you charge VAT, you are only collecting it before you pass it on to the Government so therefore wasn't his money to spend.

I know there are bigger fish to fry as the country slips down the tubes, but he should have declared the right amount and tried to come to a payment agreement with Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

Don't care
    Mick Wallace does not owe this money, MJ Wallace & Sons Ltd owes the money. the concept of Limited Liability seems to be somewhat overlooked here !

Nice little side show for the Govt to get their teeth into, the slate in the Dail bar is prob as much !

Secman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement