Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Mick Wallace resign over his VAT 'problem'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No
    john47 wrote: »
    In answer to the question - yes he should resign, then he should run in the by-election and give Wexford people the say in whether they want him back. That's democracy...

John Ryan

LOL

Good aul Ireland

He admits defrauding the state and is entitled to run for re-election.

Bloomin marvellous country.

Sick thing is is that he would probably get re-elected (and there's me thinking we were done with the Fianna Fail attitude of politics and their disdain for the electorate).

It's time we caught a hold of ourselves in this country and had zero tolerance towards ANY type of skullduggery. We've had far too many years of this sh1te.

This country is not a democratic country - not by miles

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Don't care
    Wow - hang on there.

I am not defending anyone, either the FF bunch of lying thieving bastXXXs or the lying thieving Mick Wallace.

I am not advocating double standards, you are. You are giving out about one type of liar and thief but defending another. Lowry, Haughey, AHearne, Wallace. All the same in my book ...

John Ryan

Haughey and Ahern and you put Mick Wallace in the same company:rolleyes:. Haughey's and Aherns corruption and greed have killed this country i doubt mick wallaces will, will it. Wallace has done wrong and i dont think anyone can dispute that, but you cant compare him and say he is the same as these two. The mahon tribunal cost between 250 million to 350 million just to investigate ahern and his colleagues and yet he still denies wrongdoing, the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

No
    EI_Flyboy wrote: »
    He was paying until the courts stepped in and froze the company's assets so you can thank the courts for costing us the 2.1million. The big distinction you need to draw is that Mick is a seperate entity to his company and its his company that owes the money. That's the law, like it or lump it.
    then how can we blame wallace, this has been forced upon him, but why when the economy was falling fast, did he up the wages of his son and himself to such an amount, would you not think that it is then that he would be putting the squeeze on wages to himself and his son and making sure to put it into keeping things going,
    and anyhow most homes survive on a fift of that,

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Don't care
    Apples and oranges. Mick did not "thieve" the money to line his own pockets but to save his business and the jobs of it's employees. For their to be a crime, there must be criminal intention and that is clearly absent from this case. What he did was I'll advised for someone who at the time may intended running for the dail but that still does not make it a crime.

He just made a statement infront of the dail that he's going to put half his dail salary towards paying off the debt. Has any other politician ever done this?

If people exercised independent thought instead of parroting the media, this country would be much better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

No
    Apples and oranges. Mick did not "thieve" the money to line his own pockets but to save his business and the jobs of it's employees. For their to be a crime, there must be criminal intention and that is clearly absent from this case. What he did was I'll advised for someone who at the time may intended running for the dail but that still does not make it a crime.

He just made a statement infront of the dail that he's going to put half his dail salary towards paying off the debt. Has any other politician ever done this?

If people exercised independent thought instead of parroting the media, this country would be much better off.
    i am glad to hear this, and this is the best way to go, he is good for waterford, he knows how hard it is in the private sector running a business,
    good on him,
    i would be happy with that , i hope it will be accepted,
    the best of luck to him

• Advertisement

Don't care
    goat2 wrote: »
    then how can we blame wallace, this has been forced upon him, but why when the economy was falling fast, did he up the wages of his son and himself to such an amount, would you not think that it is then that he would be putting the squeeze on wages to himself and his son and making sure to put it into keeping things going,
    and anyhow most homes survive on a fift of that,

Maybe he had something else in mind to invest in to generate a cash return in order to bolster his position...? Maybe it was I'll advised and done to line his pockets before jumping from a sinking ship...? Maybe it was the action of someone who isn't a quitter and was confident things were going to turn around...? Next time he's on the tele or radio, ring in and ask him.

Whatever the answer, it's still no evidence of criminal intent. We're all human and make mistakes, it's just that it's advantageous to hold some peoples' mistakes up to the light when others that ruin a country are brushed under the rug while the spotlight is conveniently elsewhere.

Don't care
    Yeah, I know I'm always mixing Wexford up with Waterford!!

XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

In answer to the question - yes he should resign, then he should run in the by-election and give Wexford people the say in whether they want him back. That's democracy...

John Ryan

Sounds like a good solid North Tipperary name there.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

No
    Nope, no relations in North Tipp, Im a Yellow Belly...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

No
    Well there's a bit of difference between Wexford & Waterford!

Sean Connick makes that mistake himself all the time, he was wanting to close Wexford hospital and divert the funds to Waterford general instead, he forgot he is from Wexford too...

John Ryan
    PROUD Wexfordian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No
    Maybe he had something else in mind to invest in to generate a cash return in order to bolster his position...? Maybe it was I'll advised and done to line his pockets before jumping from a sinking ship...? Maybe it was the action of someone who isn't a quitter and was confident things were going to turn around...? Next time he's on the tele or radio, ring in and ask him.

Whatever the answer, it's still no evidence of criminal intent. We're all human and make mistakes, it's just that it's advantageous to hold some peoples' mistakes up to the light when others that ruin a country are brushed under the rug while the spotlight is conveniently elsewhere.

Of course it's evidence of criminal intent. He himself admitted that he deliberately under declared his VAT receipts, money he had collected from clients on behalf of the taxpayer. This was not an accounting error, he knew full well what he was doing.
    Wallace said yesterday that the seat was not his but belongs to the people of Wexford, let him give it back to us then and let us decide what we want to do with it. If he's re-elected then well and good for him but it will show that the people of Wexford have no right to complain further about Haughey, Ahern & Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't care
    Nope, no relations in North Tipp, Im a Yellow Belly...

Any relation of Cllr.Joe Ryan http://cllrjoeryan.blogspot.ie/ - you seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No
    Any relation of Cllr.Joe Ryan http://cllrjoeryan.blogspot.ie/ - you seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet. :rolleyes:

Any relation of Mick Wallace you seem to like defending him despite the fact his actions are beyond any reasonable defence. :rolleyes:

Don't care
    donalg1 wrote: »
    Any relation of Mick Wallace you seem to like defending him despite the fact his actions are beyond any reasonable defence. :rolleyes:

As it happens, I've never met the man but if he came into my local I'd buy him a pint - something that I wouldn't do for many other politicians on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Don't care
    As bad as not paying this bill apparently is id still consider him to be the most decent and honest politician in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Don't care
    I may be wrong but I think it should be left up to the people of Wexford. Does anyone else think that half of his salary isnt enough? Ho could have gone for 3/4 and still be comfortable. Luke Flanagan, TD for Roscommon/south Leitrim has given half his pay already for deserving causes in his locality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

No
    no room for fraudsters in the dail lol,we have been too long conditioned to accept fraudsters,gombeens,mick chancers and so on,its a disgrace..all i have to say is if we can get at least one fecker out that has to be a good thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Reetpetite

No
    Wouldn't it be great if Revenue could 'pretend' to hire a hitman to get the money back from Wallace...

Don't care
    Reetpetite wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if Revenue could 'pretend' to hire a hitman to get the money back from Wallace...

Don't give up the day job! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No
    Not only should Mick Wallace resign over his VAT Avoidance, he should also be criminally prosecuted, as should anyone who breaks the law in this manner.
    It's obvious that other individuals who have avoided or misrepresented their VAT bill have indeed been prosecuted for the offense.
    For too long, politicians have managed to avoid any level of criminal investigation or prosecutions for highly suspicious activities and continue to walk around on their massive salaries and pensions.
    This current batch of TD's have amoung them some highly suspicious characters who have already committed some dubious acts.
    The people of Wexford should not have any more say in this than anyone else. We have laws in this country, they are getting broken at the expense of all of us.

• Advertisement

No
    Don't give up the day job! :rolleyes:

Apparently Micks nice big jeep has been towed from the Aer Lingus Car Park at Dublin Airport as it was parked illegally in the staff car park, another sign of his arrogance.

Don't care
    Apparently Micks nice big jeep has been towed from the Aer Lingus Car Park at Dublin Airport as it was parked illegally in the staff car park, another sign of his arrogance.

OMG pink shirts and now this - horse whip the man and then put him in the stocks. :rolleyes:

No
    OMG pink shirts and now this - horse whip the man and then put him in the stocks. :rolleyes:

Or he could just resign and do us all a favour. Hasnt done anything since being elected other than emabarrass the people of Wexford and Ireland for that matter, and bring further ridicule to Irish Politics with the stories of his constant crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Don't care
    Oh them constant crimes eh, not a minute goes by where Mick Wallace ain't schemin some form of nefarious activity :rolleyes:

Now they're trying to insinuate that there was something dodgy on the deal with joseph for the italian villa.

As for parking at the airport I wouldn't be surprised to find that a very good friend of his got him into that carpark on a favour, but some oportunistic asshole saw the jeep and decided it would make for a lovely photo op

Don't care
    Or he could just resign and do us all a favour. Hasnt done anything since being elected other than emabarrass the people of Wexford and Ireland for that matter, and bring further ridicule to Irish Politics with the stories of his constant crimes.

Speak for yourself, but I would rather not see money wasted on a pointless by-election that would see Mick Wallace re-elected. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Don't care

Non story to be honest. Park illegally and pay the fine happens in every town in the country and I would hardly class people as arrogant that do it. The media are really hopping on the bandwagon with this. Probably did it to avoid the media in the first place.

And to quote the great fine gael td pj sheehan (endas best pal)
    the media should be concentrating on the "financial condition of the country" and should not be "hassling TDs".

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/youll-get-nothing-when-were-in-power-fine-gael-td-tells-garda-2343743.html

Don't care
    No let's start protesting about the concept BEFORE the bastards write it into legislation, bit of premptive action to let them know that we wont take this snit lying down anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

No
    oldyouth wrote: »
    Nonsense. The man owes a shed load of money and has never shirked away from it. He is happy to declare where he made mistakes and is honouring his personal guarantees, even though it it is unlikely to cover the total. Mad as a bag of spanners but if more developers followed his lead, it would make the pain of the ordinary citizen a bit more palatable.

Just a follow-up to this - it seems Mick Wallace wasn't honest about his debts, and has been ripping off the tax-payer by stealing VAT money and awarding himself and his son massive pay rises even as his company went bust, plus transferring a vinyard to his brother for some reason for a debt to him that he can't seem to prove...

Anyone remember Animal Farm?

Don't care
    Just a follow-up to this - it seems Mick Wallace wasn't honest about his debts, and has been ripping off the tax-payer by stealing VAT money and awarding himself and his son massive pay rises even as his company went bust, plus transferring a vinyard to his brother for some reason for a debt to him that he can't seem to prove...

I remember it well but your analogy is not quite correct in that the alleged wrong doings took place before Mick Wallace took his place at the "farmers" table. The analogy was one that I used myself about the Green Party in government but I wouldn't apply it to Mick.

• Advertisement

Don't care

I remember it well but your analogy is not quite correct in that the alleged wrong doings took place before Mick Wallace took his place at the "farmers" table. The analogy was one that I used myself about the Green Party in government but I wouldn't apply it to Mick.

Well the debt to joseph was very real, joseph Wallace runs a hardware/builders providers, Mick wad a builder who bought a lot of stuff through there, joseph took a bit of a hit on that one by all accounts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement