Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

miele warranty a joke

Options
  • 07-06-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I bought a miele cats and dog vacuum in Jan this year and use it on average once a week to get the stuff that sweeping usually misses, the telescopic tube started to act up about a month ago, sometimes I couldn't reduce it down, so I brought it back to the shop I got it from and they said they had to send away for the replacement, got phone call yesterday from the m and they told me that miele say it's not covered under the 1 year warranty and its down to wear and tear, it's 5 months old and even if I was using it every day since it shouldnt be worn out by now, I wasn't told this by the shop and I checked the warranty documents and it doesn't say anything about only the body being covered, the shop tried offering me an old one from a repair they got back but I refused it as it was bashed and scratched, I'm not going to let this go but I'm wondering how I should go about it, it's a great vacuum otherwise but not happy because If anything else goes I'm not too confident that they will stand over their product especially after spending over 200 to get the "best",

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Depends what you were hoovering?

BTW can it hoover small pets? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

They'd have to be VERY small or they'd get stuck in the telescopic. Actually, maybe that's your problem. Is there a fat cat or dog stuck up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Your contract is with the retailer, I'd ask to speak to somebody from management.
    If you don't get any satisfaction, go down the small claims court route.
    A word of advice, if it end up in the SCC make sure you can produce the relevent legislation in court, as in my case the judge was unaware of consumer law and I had to inform him myself (carefully).
    Keep details of all details with the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Roebourne9

aujopimur wrote: »
    Your contract is with the retailer, I'd ask to speak to somebody from management.
    If you don't get any satisfaction, go down the small claims court route.
    A word of advice, if it end up in the SCC make sure you can produce the relevent legislation in court, as in my case the judge was unaware of consumer law and I had to inform him myself (carefully).
    Keep details of all details with the retailer.

I spoke to the owner of the shop today and he's going to speak to the rep. I'm waiting to hear back, hopefully it won't come to the SCC,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

When I lived in the UK I had to call Miele twice with breakdowns. Both were well out of warranty & they were repaired free of charge. In one case a mouse had got under the washing machine & chewed a wire :eek:. The engineer joked that it was Miele's fault for not making it mouse proof.

Do Miele wholesale from the UK or do they have an Irish agent ? I have had problems with a lot of products where the Irish agent isn't willing to help. For example I had two drill batteries that failed & the shop & Irish agent refused to help. I sent them to the UK headquarters & both were replaced FOC.

It might be worth you phoning the Miele HQ in Abingdon UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They've got their own distribution in Ireland. It's not an agent, it's Miele themselves.

http://www.miele.ie/ie/domestic/3888.htm

Solair wrote: »
    They've got their own distribution in Ireland. It's not an agent, it's Miele themselves.

http://www.miele.ie/ie/domestic/3888.htm[/QUOTE
    Yea because the accessories for the UK cats n dogs is different on Irish one but yet the documents in box are UK ones, still no word back from shop, I read every bit of paper that came with it and nowhere does it exclude pipes etc. The warranty is very short in explaining what is covered but I will ring UK too, the more info I have the better.

Solair wrote: »

http://www.miele.ie/ie/domestic/3888.htm

Thanks solair

Just rang Irish miele, they tried the whole " the body is only covered" line and when I pointed out that its not specified in the warranty they said she would talk to service manager and rang me back within 5 mins to say they would send out replacement. I reckon they try it first and if they're challenged they give in because they know they're wrong. Can't wait to hear what owner of shop says, if he ever rings me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It's probable the owner of the shop was being honest with you, and he's trying his best by taking it up with the rep, so don't know what the last line of your post means there.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    It's probable the owner of the shop was being honest with you, and he's trying his best by taking it up with the rep, so don't know what the last line of your post means there.

It stems from the conversation I had with him and the fact I still haven't heard back even though he said he would get back to me the following day, I know what your saying and I shouldn't have been so harsh as they are in general good to deal with and we have bought several items from there, it's only the second time we have ever had to go back to them. But talking in general terms now and not about that shop, it just frustrates me that you have to get to the arguing and threatening stage to get anything fixed or sorted. I have tried the softly softly way over the years and never got anywhere,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ah I get ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

This is interesting:
    16.—
    1. A guarantee shall be clearly legible and shall refer only to specific goods or to one category of goods.
    2. A guarantee shall state clearly the name and address of the person supplying the guarantee.

3. A guarantee shall state clearly the duration of the guarantee from the date of purchase but different periods may be stated for different components of any goods.

4. A guarantee shall state clearly the procedure for presenting a claim under the guarantee which procedure shall not be more difficult than ordinary or normal commercial procedure.

5. A guarantee shall state clearly what the manufacturer or other supplier undertakes to do in relation to the goods and what charges, if any, including the cost of carriage, the buyer must meet in relation to such undertakings.

6. It shall be an offence for the manufacturer or other supplier of goods to supply in connection with the goods a guarantee which fails to comply with this section.

Link

So if they try & say that some part of the product doesn't qualify for the guarantee, but it hasn't been clearly stated, it sounds likes it's in breach of this act. (Not legal advice, but in these types of situations I like to put quotes from these in letters to their customer services — don't know if that's the interpretation in the SCC, but these guys generally don't like the hassle when you start coming out with titles & paragraphs of Oireachtas Acts).

Also, an earlier paragraph states:
    14. (4) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business and the buyer, expressly or by implication, makes known to the seller any particular purpose for which the goods are being bought, there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract are reasonably fit for that purpose, whether or not that is a purpose for which such goods are commonly supplied, except where the circumstances show that the buyer does not rely, or that it is unreasonable for him to rely, on the seller's skill or judgement.

So generally I try to ask as many questions about the product as I can when they're trying to close the sale. If you say "I'm going to be using this multiple times a week — is it durable enough for that?" & you're talking to the guy who's in the electrical department, then as far as I understand it, you've a stronger case to come back later if it breaks.

& generally they'll talk up the product to begin with to make the sale :D

Glad you posted that feather because I was always under the impression that it had to specify if anything is excluded and the shop owner is obliged to tell you beforehand as you wouldn't be aware until you open the box, I usually look everything up online before buying to get best info because as you said they talk it up so much, and then you can ask the relevant questions, was told the miele would last at least 10 years, that's mainly why I go for good brands like Bosch, Sony Panasonic in the hope that they will last but I'm beginning to wonder now if I'm fooling myself,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Miele's guarantees are *usually* pretty good and to be fair to them, their products do tend to last a long time.

However, they're not the only good brand out there.

Advertisement