Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guys/Ladies - Would You Consider Dating A Partner Who's On The Dole??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Call me crazy.. but I tend to go for men because of who they are, not how much they make or if they have a job! , as long as he's a good person and im attracted to him it doesnt matter:D

i go for guys because of who they are too - and if who they are is someone who feels entitled to be financially supported for doing f**k all by the state (ie me) then they can get the boat. The OP clearly states he is not referring to out-of-work people but longterm perfectly happy to be on the dole types. Not a bloody chance. Why should I pay for those freeloaders. I happen to love my job now. Have I loved every job I've had? No of course not. Some were a trip to hell and back. But I never felt not working was an option. So frankly I would struggle being friends with the person described in the OP and certainly wouldn't find them attractive or want to date them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

mickrock wrote: »
    Most people on the dole long-term are surely following Aristotles' maxim that all paid work absorbs and degrades the mind.

They probably have also considered Oscar Wilde's idea that work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do.

Arbeit Macht Frei!

i am nothinbetter2do :D only one boardsie is allowed to have me ;)

i work though............. hate the boredom of being on the dole longterm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I wouldn't be into someone who was on the dole with little ambition. I'm a very driven person and have high goals education and career wise, I couldn't be with someone who was the opposite.

I would say the same for someone who had a job they hated but did nothing to improve their situation.

I like someone who is happy with the job they have, and likes making improvements to themselves. I also like to go out, and go for meals and travel, and all I ask is that my partner can pay for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Call me crazy.. but I tend to go for men because of who they are, not how much they make or if they have a job! , as long as he's a good person and im attracted to him it doesnt matter:D

And what if who they are just happens to be a guy on the dole with no ambition?

I think that what a lot of people on the No side (myself included) are trying to explain is that people with no desire to better themselves and who expect workers/parents/lovers to sustain them financially just aren't that attractive.

People who are on the dole because they lost their job and who try their damndest to get another are a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gnobe wrote: »
    Guys/Ladies, would you consider dating a partner who's constantly on the dole?
    one day my unemployed Prince will come..........
    No I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeah, if I like him I like him. But if, down the line, it became obvious he wasn't bothered with looking for a job and drawing the dole was his preferred lifestyle choice as opposed to being a mere means to an end... then it would be off-putting. But that's rare.

I'm not keen on the other extreme either - super ambitious/driven, just once he doesn't completely waste his abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

smash wrote: »
    If they've no goals, then no thanks.

Rules out most of the Irish soccer team so ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Wouldn't bother me unless they weren't trying to get a job.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Invader_Zimmy

I will not let any woman move into my place unless she signs a rent contract. I will not date a woman on the dole because I refuse to bankroll her.

I protect my assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i often ride some of the tramps that drink all day every day with all the dole heads in me local town... but "date one"" as in go out with them, or actually give a flying fook about them?? no.... just handy rides....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yep as long as they werent happy to stay on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I will not let any woman move into my place unless she signs a rent contract. I will not date a woman on the dole because I refuse to bankroll her.

I protect my assets.
    flanum wrote: »
    i often ride some of the tramps that drink all day every day with all the dole heads in me local town... but "date one"" as in go out with them, or actually give a flying fook about them?? no.... just handy rides....
    Swooooooooon...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Gnobe wrote: »
    Guys/Ladies, would you consider dating a partner who's constantly on the dole?

I'm not talking about highly skilled men/women who are made redundant, looking to get back into work etc. But guys and girls who aren't very career orientated, take life a bit more easily and who are on the dole for long periods, maybe do some part time work at best.

I mean some might say that a spouse not caring about money or careers is an attraction. Or do you prefer a person who is career driven?

Just curious, don't think it matters either way if you truely love someone. Or does it??

No it doesn't matter. I know people who are doctors and they are the ugliest most disgusting people I have ever met and they marry people with the same credentials. Yet I have seen beautiful people with problems and living below the bread line who will always be shunned due to the capitalist agenda drilled into our minds! Human nature is human nature! Love today is history!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Someone being on the dole definitely wouldn't be a deciding factor in who I'd date. Why should it? that's only one aspect of a person's life.

I know some really interesting educated and intelligent people who are on the dole-some of my friends in the arts for example who simply don't make enough money from their chosen fields alone.

People who are on the dole come from all walks of life. There's more to the majority of them than the grotesque caricatures that are routinely trotted out here on AH by some of the feckless uneducated loser who's a career sponger, happy to live on the public purse for years with no ambition, hopes of dreams and lies in bed til noon every day playing video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Greentopia wrote: »
    feckless uneducated loser who's a career sponger, happy to live on the public purse for years with no ambition, hopes of dreams and lies in bed til noon every day playing video games.

I never play video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Some people are mentioning the importance of education in their decision to go out with someone...

Let's face it, the value of education is relative. Education is (or has been) largely free in this country (have a bit of college, everyone, cmon, HAVE some college). The majority of kids go to college in this country, it's just standard. And the majority end up working in jobs that don't utilise these degrees whatsoever (or not working as the case may be).

Unless you meant to it to mean a level of education higher than that, masters, Ph.D, etc.
    It certainly wouldn't make my criteria or list of considerations regarding a potential relationship.

doovdela wrote: »
    It depends on the person but to be honest I wouldn't care at this stage as anyone could be on the dole.

Before, I be more concerned that they have a job. Now, for me its more how educated a person is would matter to me more than them having a job in this recession, having a job in this recession is not guaranteed any more so I be understandable about dating someone who is on the dole as I am still looking for work myself so I would understand where that person is coming from.

:-/

I be confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

So long as they are not constantly expecting me to bail them out and pay for everything then I'm not so worried about it. The problem is if you end up paying for everything and end up not feeling financially secure either for yourself or for any kids you have. Especially if you have kids you can't just expect to coast through life. Any significant amount of tine before having kids it is not such a big deal but I wouldn't want my kids to be walking around with no arse in their trousers feeling poorer and with less self esteem than their classmates and not being able to afford toys, education or hobbies etc. If both of you are happy to be on the dole then you are possibly made for each other but someone without any goals having a healthy relationship with someone who does is a little bit strange I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Clitlady

No i couldnt date a man on the dole as it is a mans job to be financially secure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Clitlady wrote: »
    No i couldnt date a man on the dole as it is a mans job to be financially secure

you've read the 'trolling' thread, havn't you?

• Advertisement

flanum wrote: »

How many creams have you got in your bathroom ye dirty prick? :pac:

Clitlady wrote: »

But he hasn't got a job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Being driven and being driven to have a good job aren't one and the same. So long as the person was interesting and motivated I wouldn't mind them being on the dole at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Being driven and being driven to have a good job aren't one and the same. So long as the person was interesting and motivated I wouldn't mind them being on the dole at all.

Depends whether its YOUR money which drives them or not. Being used is not a nice experience. However if they are genuinely happy with very little then fair play to them. If you however want to go on a holiday, see and do lots of things etc which all inevitably cost money, doesn't this mean you either go always alone or end up paying for your partner every time ? Would that not feel a little bit weird?

Idea.........a willy tatoo......powered by the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Idea.........a willy tatoo......powered by the dole.

no you wanna tattoo "Rent Allowance" on your willy :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

If I was absolutely loaded and he was disinterested in work but very interested in staying at home, raising the kids, making me my dinner, and attending to my every (ahem) need.

Then in theory, yes, something could be arranged...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Probably not. My gf who works mooches enough off me as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

This may have been posted before but if you love somebody it's not going to matter unless you think there is something immoral about being on the dole or not very career orientated, and if you thought they were immoral would you love them?
    But if the dole is a no surely you'll see tax fraud, laziness in the public service, dishonest business practices and any other failings to civic duty as a no go relationship wise. Fair enough, but how many people check for these things before going out with somebody.
    I can see a case where you might be concerned for somebody if they were on the dole and not coping with it but that doesn't seem to be OP's query.

Advertisement