Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM - Advice, opinions etc..

Options
  • 07-06-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey all, as the title suggests looking for advice and opinions and if possible people with a similar experience to myself.

OK, so I've just finished my second year of BSc Biomedical Science at Cardiff, a degree I undertook in order to enroll on GEM upon completion.

After 3 years of study after returning from full-time employment (I had to do a foundation year which I done through QUB) i'm still certain that I see myself spending the next 5 years studying. I've spent a little bit of time this year gathering together info about some of the universities I can apply to, i'm limited by the fact that 15 years ago when I chose my A'levels I wasn't able to see in to the future to know that I would need chemistry on the off chance that I might want to study medicine when I'm older ( I'm sure other people have had the same issue but this really annoys me, I can't apply to Bristol or Liverpool for instance with my BSc because I don't have an A 'Level and they won't accept it if I was to do it this year, I'm literally being punished (probably not the right term) for a decision I made 15 years ago, if I'd gotten a criminal record when I was 16 and done a Chemistry A'Level i'd be able to apply! How does that work?? :mad: rant over)

Anyway, GEM in Ireland seems a little more accessible in that once you have your degree, past examinations are a lot less relevant.

So basically wondering if there is anyone here who has gone a similar route to myself, particularly anyone who has studied in the UK then applied to Irish unis for GEM, and vice versa.

I'm planning on applying to Universities in the UK and Ireland so I'd also like to hear opinions on where might be the best, what financial reasons might have been behind your choice (I heard rumours of the NHS paying your fees from 2nd year or GEM in the UK), and also entrance exams and interview info.

Thanks all

nordie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kingofkong

make sure you get a 2.1 is the first order of business

You will pay EU fees in Ireland (i.e. the same as Irish students), that's roughly in the region of 14k/year with some variance between colleges

When I applied to the U in 2009, the NHS were still offering to pay fees after 2nd year but I'm not sure if that's still the cased.

Put the effort into the UCAS, it's very competitive, work experience in the UK is important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hi op

there's a whole subforum dedicated to gem, so you're better off posting there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement