Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a wannbe fly fisher..

Options
  • 07-06-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I've been a lure guy for a few years now and with the close of the bass season instead of packing it in for a month , I've decided to have a go at the sea trout. I have failed totally, to get them on any lure for the past two weeks. It's at the point where I think they're teasing me :D

So I'm gonna try some fly fishing. I don't know anything about fly setups but am aiming for a standard rod that'll allow me to some some river/estuary fishing and if possible shore fishing.
    What rod /reel and line should i be looking at and also basic flies that would be a starting point?
    I don't know any other guys who use fly down here so between yourselves and local tackle shop it's all I have to go on.

Budget maybe €100 or so ,is this ok ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

breghall wrote: »
    I've been a lure guy for a few years now and with the close of the bass season instead of packing it in for a month , I've decided to have a go at the sea trout. I have failed totally, to get them on any lure for the past two weeks. It's at the point where I think they're teasing me :D

So I'm gonna try some fly fishing. I don't know anything about fly setups but am aiming for a standard rod that'll allow me to some some river/estuary fishing and if possible shore fishing.
    What rod /reel and line should i be looking at and also basic flies that would be a starting point?
    I don't know any other guys who use fly down here so between yourselves and local tackle shop it's all I have to go on.

Budget maybe €100 or so ,is this ok ?
    I'd have a look on eBay mate there's absolute quality rods on it going for nothing
    As for shore fishing you may want another reel with fly line made for sea water as fly line for rivers will get destroyed
    Your prob gonna need to be but more specific on the species your going for surely you want more than sea trout?
    Not havin a dig just saying there's loads out there aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 marvin87

As @dodderangler was saying eBay is a good shout, you can get some decent enough airflo sets from it, also some nice second hand daiwa rods on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

quite happy to start off just aiming for the sea trout as I'm a bass man really. Hopefully I'll aim to catch others on the fly as I progress.

As a noob I don't know what line to get so am needing help on line size even.

I'll have a look on ebay for the rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Hey, have a look on this great forum. They have a dedicated section for salt water fly fishing as well as all other areas of the sport.

There is a great second hand and dealers market on the forum which I have used recently with no issues.

Advertisement