Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A house that needs some work.....

Options
  • 07-06-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anybody has bought a house lately (or has done this to their own) and had to rewire it?

I am just wondering what sort of money would you need to do this?

Also if you were to get the plumbing done (duel heating system) how much would you need to set aside for that?

This is on a standard 3 bed semi (about 1200 Sq feet)

Have most other costing just not sure on these so any info would be of help.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

budget 5K for a full re-wire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thanos wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anybody has bought a house lately (or has done this to their own) and had to rewire it?

Also if you were to get the plumbing done (duel heating system) how much would you need to set aside for that?

Thanks.

Might be a good idea to ask in the electrical and plumbing forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Got my 3 bed semi re-wired for €4200 and GFCH put in for €5000. That was Aug 2011.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Re-wiring is usually destructive. Floorboards have to be taken up and walls chased. Redecoration and repair after the event have to be considered. While the floorboards are up, woodworm treatment and and plumbing works should also be done. It is far better to tackle all of these together than one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Think about ,do you want an electric shower ,how many power points,lights in each room,
    rewiring can only be done by a registered electrician,
    see here,
    http://www.safeelectric.ie/
    more info ,see electrical forum boards.ie .
    he does the work ,then gives you a completion cert,which he also gives the esb a copy of.
    You may wanna put in extra insulation while floorboards are up .

• Advertisement

Your boiler will need its own power supply, point ,boilers are usually placed ,near outside walls, as they need an air vent,
    if getting central heating first, ask plumber how many power points, where, will they be placed.
    Electric cookers,or showers, need direct wired cable from fuse box,consumer unit.
    The electrician will also install,tv,satellite cables if you want,

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Thanos wrote: »

Thanks.

Paid €3100 for a fairly basic spec rewire of 3 bed terraced last month. Based on 3 sockets per room and light.

No network or TV points. That was with alot of ceilings down already and electrician wasn't making right any chases or holes afterwards. Located not too far away from you so can pm number if you like.

cgc5483, Can you pm me ,that electrician s no, as i,m looking for a rewiring in about 5 weeks.I,m in dublin.
    Thanks.

Advertisement