Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Dog Food Thread - Acana

• 07-06-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a black Labrador pup next month and want to try and feed it on the best food possible. The breeder has said that she'll be fed Beta Puppy while with him but I plan to move her slowly off that. Orijen, which is highly recommended and I tried with my Cocker before, has too high a protein count for what will already be a fairly active puppy. I'd also be worried about the puppy getting too much protein and growing incorrectly.

I thought about going with Arden Grange or James Wellbeloved but when searching I saw that Acana Dog Food, made by the same people as Orijen, is also grain free, has lower protein and got a five star review on Dogfoodanalysis.com.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2257&cat=3

Has anyone on here used it? I see its available on Zooplus.ie.

Or has anyone with a Labrador any recommendations for foods they found worked well with their Labrador puppy?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm getting a black Labrador pup next month and want to try and feed it on the best food possible. The breeder has said that she'll be fed Beta Puppy while with him but I plan to move her slowly off that. Orijen, which is highly recommended and I tried with my Cocker before, has too high a protein count for what will already be a fairly active puppy. I'd also be worried about the puppy getting too much protein and growing incorrectly.

I thought about going with Arden Grange or James Wellbeloved but when searching I saw that Acana Dog Food, made by the same people as Orijen, is also grain free, has lower protein and got a five star review on Dogfoodanalysis.com.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2257&cat=3

Has anyone on here used it? I see its available on Zooplus.ie.

Or has anyone with a Labrador any recommendations for foods they found worked well with their Labrador puppy?

The protein in your food has the least to do with your dogs energy levels. Carbs and fat do that. Excess of either of them is stored as fat and used to fuel later laps around the garden. What protein the dog doesn't eat is harmlessly wee'd out. That's why all diets are based around eating more protein and less carbs, and why athletes eat a heap of carbs pre-race, energy boost.

Best you can do for your pup is a fresh meat diet with a little cooked veg. If you need to feed crackers go for a grain (wheat / barley / rye) free type (so a rice or spud based one, no gluten). The more protein the better, he's a carnivore after all, all he wants is meat (protein and fat). Carbs are just cheap filler and are likely causing the massive cancer rates, diabets, pancreatiis poor behaviour that we see as the norm in dogs today. Supplement the crackers with as much cheap meat as you can find, fresh chicken from lidl, fish, whatever. Whole is best (with bone, not cooked). Meat for muscle, cartilidge for joints, bones for bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have used it and it really is a good food. I fed my guys Orijen for a while but one of them had a problem with his ears and the high protein was not helping at all. I definitely recommend Acana, if it agrees with your dog it's a great food.

As DogsFirst already pointed out, protein levels have nothing to do with energy and hyperness in dogs - total myth.

Puppies, particularly large breeds, need to have their food monitored pretty closely. You need them to grow slow and steadily, not in spurts. High protein food are not so good for this and can lead to a condition called Panosteinitis and also other joint issues later in life. As far as I can remember, Acana has a decent level of protein for a growing pup but it has been a while since I bought it.

On other foods - Arden Grangs and James Wellbeloved are both very good foods, 2 other brands that are good are Pro Pac and Burns, and there are loads more out there.

Puppies, particularly large breeds, need to have their food monitored pretty closely. You need them to grow slow and steadily, not in spurts. High protein food are not so good for this and can lead to a condition called Panosteinitis and also other joint issues later in life....

They're not sure how pano (a thickening of the bones) comes about. I can only testify that it doesn't occur in fresh meat fed dogs. You won't find one single supportive to study that agrees with above, just a few misguided quotes on dry food websites. Dogs are carnivores, designed to eat protein, not carbs. Why would they suddenly need less protein? It's like having a cow that needs more meat. Protein builds joints and a lack of it (too little for the species or living on cooked processed protein instead of fresh) is proven to grow rats, dogs and monkeys poorly. We are advised to eat as little processed meat as possible. Same for your dog.

DogsFirst wrote: »
    They're not sure how pano (a thickening of the bones) comes about. I can only testify that it doesn't occur in fresh meat fed dogs. You won't find one single supportive to study that agrees with above, just a few misguided quotes on dry food websites. Dogs are carnivores, designed to eat protein, not carbs. Why would they suddenly need less protein? It's like having a cow that needs more meat. Protein builds joints and a lack of it (too little for the species or living on cooked processed protein instead of fresh) is proven to grow rats, dogs and monkeys poorly. We are advised to eat as little processed meat as possible. Same for your dog.

Quality over quantity! I asked a vet about this (who has a particular interest in nutrition) because I thought the same and they said that eating high quality protein (muscle etc) in a lower quantity is less likely to cause any issues than high levels of protein in a mediocre quality (which can be applicable to dog kibble). Essentially, if the protein is coming from a crap source (plant based, MRM etc) it can result is peaks and troughs (due to difficultly and length digesting) as opposed to muscle based protein that is grand to digest and process in the dogs system. I totally agree that eating as little processed meat as possible is a positive thing, but considering the OP was asking about a particular dog food and protein levels I figured it would be a good point to make to watch the protein levels in the food for a large breed pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I have a young black lab, the food that I got from the breeder just didnt agree with her at all, itchy ears, poor skin and coat. I looked into all kinds of dog food and seemed that Orijen was one of the best.

I started her on it slowly and while her over all condition improved 100% her stools were very loose, switched to Acana, same as Orijen but with a bit less protein and totally grain free.

That did the trick, never had an itchy ear again, coat shines , no flakes and she loves it, I alternate between Ranchlands, Grasslands, Pacifica and another for variety. I was using Zooplus but now use Amazon.co.uk.

Ive had labs my whole life and Acana is the best food Ive found, but it is a bit costly, but I dont mind as feeding all the other maize filled junk is like ourselves eating super macs every day.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have a young black lab, the food that I got from the breeder just didnt agree with her at all, itchy ears, poor skin and coat. I looked into all kinds of dog food and seemed that Orijen was one of the best.

I started her on it slowly and while her over all condition improved 100% her stools were very loose, switched to Acana, same as Orijen but with a bit less protein and totally grain free.

That did the trick, never had an itchy ear again, coat shines , no flakes and she loves it, I alternate between Ranchlands, Grasslands, Pacifica and another for variety. I was using Zooplus but now use Amazon.co.uk.

Ive had labs my whole life and Acana is the best food Ive found, but it is a bit costly, but I dont mind as feeding all the other maize filled junk is like ourselves eating super macs every day.

How come you're using Amazon.co.uk? With the poor exchange rate, at €54 a bag for the puppy/junior type (13kg bag), Zooplus.ie looked cheaper for once for the items.

I used to always use co.uk but the .ie looks the better alternative now. They do a 2 bag promotion with €6 off as well.

How come you're using Amazon.co.uk? With the poor exchange rate, at €54 a bag for the puppy/junior type (13kg bag), Zooplus.ie looked cheaper for once for the items.

I used to always use co.uk but the .ie looks the better alternative now. They do a 2 bag promotion with €6 off as well.

I'm only using the grain free Acana, I think the classic Acana has grain in it so I dont use them. The Grasslands for instance is £6 more expensive on zooplus than amazon.

Also, when Ive ordered from zooplus it seems to take ages to get here, as opposed to a few days with amazon, plus i buy lots of stuff on amazon find their customer service fantastic so Im loyal to them.

Dont worry about the protein content when they are growing, what should be watched is the amount of calcium and phosphorus, lower is better when it comes to feeding pups. Also better to be a lean puppy than overweight :) and keep us updated on the lab puppy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

I’m switching from Orijien to Acana now for my Bichon/Cavalier cross but Zooplus have not had stock of most of the Acana range for weeks, I've given up waiting on Zooplus as it got too close to the end of the Orijien bag and got a bag this week from petfoodexpresstoyou.com, I’ll pay the extra for this good quality food as Keno-Daytrader says the other maize filled stuff is like us eating fast food.

Nettekee wrote: »
    I’m switching from Orijien to Acana now for my Bichon/Cavalier cross but Zooplus have not had stock of most of the Acana range for weeks, I've given up waiting on Zooplus as it got too close to the end of the Orijien bag and got a bag this week from petfoodexpresstoyou.com, I’ll pay the extra for this good quality food as Keno-Daytrader says the other maize filled stuff is like us eating fast food.

True about the corn and wheat and stuff but I suppose if it's in a bag and dry, its still all processed. Assuming you're buying the little bags of Acana, looking at Mollys.ie here you're going to be paying at least €7 or €8 a kg!!!! That's more than you could spend on yourself in a sitting. Twice the price of free range chicken!! Bischon - just throw in a salmon fillet every day and you'd save yourself a fortune!! An amazing job has been done by dry food companies to make people think that it's money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sive1281

www.bestformydog.com

I have all my dogs on the poultry and rice food, excellent quality, competitive prices. The conditions on the dogs coats is super and energy levels high. They also provide a special lamb and potato food for senstive dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Nettekee wrote: »

I know you have already ordered from petfoodexpresstoyou but next time you could try www.zooplus.es!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm only using the grain free Acana, I think the classic Acana has grain in it so I dont use them. The Grasslands for instance is £6 more expensive on zooplus than amazon.

Also, when Ive ordered from zooplus it seems to take ages to get here, as opposed to a few days with amazon, plus i buy lots of stuff on amazon find their customer service fantastic so Im loyal to them.

Dont worry about the protein content when they are growing, what should be watched is the amount of calcium and phosphorus, lower is better when it comes to feeding pups. Also better to be a lean puppy than overweight :) and keep us updated on the lab puppy!!!

I noticed this alright about the Acana I was going to get alright. It appears that it actually has some grains and some other controversial ingredients like beet pulp.

My plan now is to go for Taste of the Wild which is made by the same company but is grain free. It appears to be a value for money alternative to Orijen and is the same price as the Acana. It's an "all-stages" food as well so appears it is for puppys as well as dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

check the product codes on the Taste of the Wild, there is an active recall on that food, they say for Canada and the US, but you can never be too careful.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/information/

I noticed this alright about the Acana I was going to get alright. It appears that it actually has some grains and some other controversial ingredients like beet pulp.

My plan now is to go for Taste of the Wild which is made by the same company but is grain free. It appears to be a value for money alternative to Orijen and is the same price as the Acana. It's an "all-stages" food as well so appears it is for puppys as well as dogs.

Taste of the Wild has nothing to do with Orijen and Acana (Champion foods), they are 2 totally different companies produced in 2 different countries.

Acana "classic" range contain grains, Acana grain free obviously does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Firstly OP if you're buying food from zooplus compare the prices on the different zooplus sites - they can vary a LOT and the different sites always have different offers (you can use Chrome and it'll translate for you) even though they all come from the same warehouse in Germany!! For example the supplement I get for my dog is €15 cheaper on .es than .ie, I got a grooming tool there the other day - it was €65 from .co.uk but €31 from .fr (wouldn't have bought it otherwise!).

You can also check medicanimal.co.uk, vetuk.co.uk and petmeds.co.uk - they all give discount if you buy 2 food products.

Another thing - only buy small bags until you're sure the food suits him - you may end up chopping and changing until you find one that suits him.

I'm hoping to get a GR puppy in the next while and food is one thing I don't have to stress about this time! :) He'll be getting raw like his big bro. It's honestly the best decision I ever made for him and is just as convenient for us as feeding dry food. My GR will be 3 next week and he's thriving the last 6 months since switching to raw - like something switched on inside him. It's much cheaper too - his breakfast was 35cent (chicken leg and veg) and for a special treat he had oxtail and veg for dinner so approx 90cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 crayola_sky

Ive found this board 2 times within 24 hours on two seperate searches on google..and thought id sign up..so sorry if im dragging up an old thread.

Im bringing home a cavalier at the end of November, it's my first dog of my own and not a family pet..so its ME who has to make all the decisions.

the breeder will have the puppies on Acana puppy and Junior food.. Im trying to find out if this is a pretty good quality dog food with the google searches..so far so good..but you guys in here are discussing purchasing online..

is it cheaper to purchase online rather then just walk into my local pet store do you think? (im in canada)

is it cheaper to purchase online rather then just walk into my local pet store do you think? (im in canada)

Generally, yes. Sometimes you can find a pet store with good prices but as a rule it is easier to shop online. Shopping around is the key to finding good prices for quality foods and there are lots of online stores than sell cheaper than in shops (don't forget to include shipping when you are pricing!)

On a different note - Acana is a good quality food and unless you want to change, there is no real need to (eg. if it doesn't agree with your dog etc.) If you want to switch, you can do so - quite a lot of people feel that because the dog is already on a brand of food that they have to stick - you don't! Just be sure to switch slowly (esp. with a young puppy) and you should be fine

BTW - congrats on the soon to be new addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 crayola_sky

oh thankyou for hte info. That makes me feel good :)
    Theres so many choices out there and so many different...levels of quality for dog food..it can be a bit overwelming.

one breeder i talked to did the raw food diet, definitley don't think thats the one ill be going for.

Thanks!! im really excited. Theres definitley been something missing since we lost our oliver.
    My grandpa keeps saying whenever i see him 'do you know what your getting yourself into?' and i say 'grandpa..i never know what im getting myself into..' its the adventure of life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

you should contact the companies for a few free samples. I was using Burns
    for a few months after switching from supermarket brands. the difference was amazing,. I think once you start looking at the higher quality brands it comes down to buyers personal choice. there really is little differences between certain brands.
    I switched to a brand like burns this time but i think i will switch back as
    feeding guides are very low compared to other brands.
    don't get too bogged down by it all.

Advertisement