Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinsale Carton Hotel

Options
  • 07-06-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Wel,

Just looking up this hotel for summer and seems reasonable. Is there much to do around Kinsale for a couple. i understand this hotel is outside the town? is there a beach nearby etc

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's about 2/3 miles outside the town. There is a courtesy bus at times from the hotel. Had a bad experience there and wouldn't return, but this may have been an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

The Carlton is lovely. Great views, nice pool / gym. Kinsale is buzzing at the moment. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

user37 wrote: »
    Wel,

Just looking up this hotel for summer and seems reasonable. Is there much to do around Kinsale for a couple. i understand this hotel is outside the town? is there a beach nearby etc

thanks

It's not walkable to town but they have a free shuttle bus and you (well we did) have to wait till there is enough people to go into town.

We had a meal there and it was nice, they utilise the nice view for the restaturant, on the other hand the bar is dark and cramped with Zero view, cant help thinking they could have designed this a lot better. Nice leisure centre.

Kinsale is nice, lovely (overpriced) restaurants but I'm sure there is value to be had there too.

Loads of pubs and food, nice place Kinsale.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Stayed there recently with aspirations of walking down to Kinsale. Lets just say that this hotel is no where near Kinsale and the views are distant Oysterhaven.
    Took a minimum of 1 hr and 20 mins walking just to get to the Bulman at Charles fort and walking back was an experience. There was a straggler Boxer dog that followed us all the way back to the hotel. Poxy dog was nearly creamed off the road over a dozen times, we could not lose it or lock it in someones garden.

Anyway, unless you are staying 1 night or have a deal (stay free and pay for the meal @ 50€ / head) then I humbly suggest the Trident hotel or Actons (don't know if it is still called Actons) where you have a choice of walks, pubs and restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have stayed there for weddings and business. It's a 4 star building, being run like a 3 star. Some of the rooms have an ok view, but it's fairly soul-less. The staff on the desk are fairly stressed and seem to hate their jobs.

I honestly don't know why you would stay there if you wanted to go to kinsale. Either stay in Kinsale itself... use a B&B if you can't find a hotel.

OR, stay in Cork city and get the bus out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

pwurple wrote: »
    The staff on the desk are fairly stressed and seem to hate their jobs.

I had the complete opposite experience with the front desk, they went well out of their way to sort out a particular problem for us and we found them to be extremely friendly and welcoming.

To the OP, if you are looking for a relaxing stay then this hotel is perfect. Yes, it's a few miles outside of Kinsale, as long you don't mind this this I'd go for it.

Advertisement