Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairy Mick Wallace defrauds us

• 07-06-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

So the bould Mick Wallace is at it again. Not content with trying to defraud his employees out of their pensions(http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1205/wallacem.html), he has now been caught trying to defraud the taxpayer of €1.5 million. This guy is truly a man of the people.

It's alright though. Mick has a perfectly valid explanation. In stealing money from the taxpayer, he was only trying to save his own business. How noble of him! An act of pure selflessness!

It gets better though. Now that his company is insolvent, Mick won't have to pay a cent of the €2.1 million judgement against him.

Good old Mick. He should be in jail.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0607/1224317444365.html

Mick Wallace makes €2.1m Revenue settlement

PAUL CULLEN, Political Staff
    Thu, Jun 07, 2012
    THE CONSTRUCTION firm of Independent TD Mick Wallace has made a €2.1 million settlement with the Revenue Commissioners for under-payment of VAT.
    The settlement, which arises from the failure of MJ Wallace Ltd to make full tax returns on apartment sales over a two-year period, will be published on the Revenue’s next quarterly list of tax defaulters next week.
    The Wexford TD believes that none of the money will be paid to Revenue because his company is insolvent and he is not personally liable.
    He admits to having knowingly made a false VAT declaration to Revenue but says he did so in order to save his company and expected to be able to pay the money due at a later date.
    “With hindsight, if I had realised the business was unsaveable, I wouldn’t have tried to save it. By filling in a false declaration, I was trying to save the company. I thought we would get the money. I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel but I was wrong.”
    Under the agreement with Revenue, MJ Wallace was found to have underdeclared VAT liabilities on returns by €1,418,894. Interest came to €289,146 and penalties amounting to €425,668 were imposed, giving a total of €2,133,708.
    A Revenue settlement is the final, agreed sum but does not imply payment has been made.
    Speaking to The Irish Times, Mr Wallace said he had decided it was better to come forward with news of the settlement rather than have it come to light as part of the overall list of defaulters. “I’m going to get hammered anyway. This kind of thing is happening to builders every day of the week but I’m different because I’m in the Dáil.” What he did was wrong but he wasn’t in a position to undo it now, he said.
    Mr Wallace has also revealed that ACC Bank threatened to bankrupt him several times in the past year over unpaid debts. “It’s one of the options they’re considering.”
    Last November, the bank secured a €19.4 million judgment against MJ Wallace and a receiver was appointed over the company’s assets.
    Under law, any TD who is declared bankrupt is required to resign his or her Dáil seat. Mr Wallace says he would fight any such move by the bank. “I didn’t fight the €19.4 million settlement but I would fight bankruptcy,” he said.
    A Revenue spokeswoman said where an individual or company failed to pay, normal enforcement procedures applied, ranging from sheriff enforcement to liquidation.
    Although MJ Wallace Ltd does not have a tax clearance certificate, Mr Wallace said he himself did. “Mick Wallace is completely tax compliant,” he said.
    Asked whether he was a fit person to sit in the Dáil following the settlement agreed with Revenue last February, Mr Wallace pointed out that his businesses had paid €15 million in tax and were completely tax-compliant from 2000 up until his problems arose in 2008/09.
    “Who’s fit to be a public representative? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I tried to be as honest as I could.”

"I tried to be as honest as I could"

Sure ye did Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Sure he's a TD with the backing of the electorate. Bulletproof. We're all complicit and will never learn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

At least he doesn't waste money on his appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You get the class of politician you deserve.

Miss Piggy ? ...Kermit the fraud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You get the class of politician you deserve.

Miss Piggy ? Kermit the fraud :)

That only applies if all the candidates aren't shite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

If the public service ( politicians, regulator, Central bank ) had done their job properly, which they were paid to do and which they still get big pensions for, decent men like Mick Wallace and most of the country would not be financially F****D now.
    Mick Wallace created a lot of jobs, paid a lot of tax and never got a penny from the taxpayer until be became a TD.
    Mick Wallace has a lot of support in the south-east .... I sometimes go down there at weekends from Dublin and I've met people who sing his praises, say he has supported sports clubs, created jobs etc. He was not a high flyer in a helicoptor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They're all as bad as each other. The only difference with Wallace is that he was caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

a corrupt politician in ireland? who'd have thought of such a thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

true wrote: »
    If the public service ( politicians, regulator, Central bank ) had done their job properly, which they were paid to do and which they still get big pensions for, decent men like Mick Wallace and most of the country would not be financially F****D now.
    Mick Wallace created a lot of jobs, paid a lot of tax and never got a penny from the taxpayer until be became a TD.

Oh shut up!! Stop defending him! People like you are a major part of what's wrong with the country. This man robbed you and I through not paying his taxes. That €1.5 million could have done an awful lot of good around trhe place. Plenty of people have created jobs, and not received anything from the taxpayer- does that give them the right to ignore the laws of the state, and fu*k the taxpayer up the ar*se?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

EnterNow wrote: »
    They're all as bad as each other. The only difference with Wallace is that he was caught.

I really don't think that's fair to be honest. You're basically stating that all 166 members of the Dail are tax cheats? I'm sure you'll have evidence to back up such a generalisation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

true wrote: »
    Mick Wallace has a lot of support in the south-east .... I sometimes go down there at weekends from Dublin and I've met people who sing his praises, say he has supported sports clubs, created jobs etc. He was not a high flyer in a helicoptor.

In the same boat as Seán Quinn, a shyster of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Einhard wrote: »
    Oh shut up!! Stop defending him! People like you are a major part of what's wrong with the country. This man robbed you and I through not paying his taxes. That €1.5 million could have done an awful lot of good around the place paid angela merkel back some of our debts. Plenty of people have created jobs, and not received anything from the taxpayer- does that give them the right to ignore the laws of the state, and fu*k the taxpayer up the ar*se?

Jesus wept.

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I really don't think that's fair to be honest. You're basically stating that all 166 members of the Dail are tax cheats? I'm sure you'll have evidence to back up such a generalisation...

I never said they were tax cheats. I'm simply saying, that it's my opinion, that we have a bunch of chancers in government & the 'opposition' & choice we have beggars belief.

What passes for a 'politician' in Ireland, is truly laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

a corrupt politician in ireland? who'd have thought of such a thing :rolleyes:

I for one am shocked :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Oh shut up!! Stop defending him! People like you are a major part of what's wrong with the country. This man robbed you and I through not paying his taxes.

He paid a lot of other tax in his time - probably millions ( stamp duty, income tax, capital gains tax etc )

The people who robbed the country are the public service ( politicians, regulator, Central bank ) .....people who if they had done their job properly (which they were paid to do and which they still get big pensions) would have avoided the country going bankrupt / the economy collapsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Oh shut up!! Stop defending him! People like you are a major part of what's wrong with the country. This man robbed you and I through not paying his taxes. That €1.5 million could have done an awful lot of good around trhe place. Plenty of people have created jobs, and not received anything from the taxpayer- does that give them the right to ignore the laws of the state, and fu*k the taxpayer up the ar*se?

Jesus wept.

Yawn.

The honourable member from Tipperary North amongst other previous tax defaulters is still topping the poll.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Why is he a TD, he is a bankrupt in all but name.

Given his debt(nearer 40m), and how he robbed his employees pensions, he should be in Mountjoy not the Dail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This thread was bumped earlier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement