Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord has my UPC box; not answering my calls

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cquinnie wrote: »
    Does anybody know why landlords don't like renting to students?

Students have a habit of taking little care of the property and have been known to cause far more damage than any deposit will cover. From my time as a student I saw some horrific things that people did to their accomodation (one example being the person who drunkenly cycled a bicycle into their kitchen wall leaving a 6x6 foot hole in the plasterboard). Of course thats not to say all students are like that, but I can understand why landlords are wary of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cquinnie wrote: »
    Does anybody know why landlords don't like renting to students?
    Stayed in a student house in Carlow. All of the people were 2nd years or above.

Front door; inner pane window smashed (drunken American)
    Upstairs Bathroom; smashed mirror (drunken American)
    Kitchen; hole in the wall caused by someone (Dub?) showing how "well 'ard" he was was. Same person forgot their bedroom key, and tried to kick the door down. His foot went through the door.

So basically; not much damage.

"1st year houses", though, are generally sh|t-holes to begin with (no point in having them looking nice, as they'll be destroyed), and are treated as sh|t-holes by the students. It's not un-common for said students to leave half way through the year without notice.

It's nothing personal; blame the students who have been doing this for the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Roisy7 wrote: »

Yes, I did, but he threatened to keep some of my housemate's for 'marks' on the wall. He changed his tune when her mother arrived!

Ahh the power of the Irish mammy. :D
    djimi wrote: »
    Students have a habit of taking little care of the property and have been known to cause far more damage than any deposit will cover. From my time as a student I saw some horrific things that people did to their accomodation (one example being the person who drunkenly cycled a bicycle into their kitchen wall leaving a 6x6 foot hole in the plasterboard). Of course thats not to say all students are like that, but I can understand why landlords are wary of them.

That is nothing I know of incidents where some of the rafters were removed for firewood.
    Oh that and all the wooden boiler house doors and garden gates in the area.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

jmayo wrote: »
    Ahh the power of the Irish mammy. :D

She's actually Scottish :)

As for why people don't want to rent to students, yeah I can see why. But I'm a masters student who could provide some excellent references from previous landlords, this guy seemed determined to think we were going to demolish the house despite the fact we got through an entire academic year without trashing it. And he should know, he was around enough!!

He actually made the UPC man sign a piece of paper, which he found hilarious.

Advertisement