Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog repellant

• 07-06-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

I need ideas guys.a friend of mine works in a delivery job and encounters dogs all the time.it's the vicious ones hes worried about.can anyone suggest methods of keeping them at bay?
    Hes an animal / dog lover and doesn't want to permanently hurt them just give them a message to piss off!
    Ive suggested pepper spray ,a large stick and a larger stone.impractical really.
    And no tips on how to deal with them please eg act like your not afraid or command them to sit down or that bs.
    Something perhaps you can buy online or whatever.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

We used to buy this spray to stop our dog from chewing the furniture etc when it was a puppy. You just spray it onto what ever you want the dog to stay away from. Our dog hated the smell of it and avoided the sprayed areas at all costs. If the dog did go near them it would just kinda make the dog sneeze and run away from the area.

This might work if he was to spray it on his clothes?

Its not harmful to dogs and im pretty sure you will be able to find it in most pet stores :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Ive suggested pepper spray ,a large stick and a larger stone.impractical really.

Any suggestions along these lines will result in a short ban by the way -- we don't tolerate any sort or violence or potential harm to animals or humans.
    (there is no need for anyone to reply to my post)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Compressed air. It won't hurt the dog, but the short, sharp loud hiss should do just enough to get them to leave him be.
    Don't spray at the dog direct but beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Compressed air. It won't hurt the dog, but the short, sharp loud hiss should do just enough to get them to leave him be.
    Don't spray at the dog direct but beside him.

Really I've never heard of that.not to sound dumb and I know where to get compressed air but are there specific ones that would do for dogs and where would he get them ?

@star pants there was really no need to post that warning.i said he was an animal lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

He could try a "ultrasound dog repeller" they cost about €20. However my mam would kill me if she thought I used it on her dog's. I think most dog owners will feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

@star pants there was really no need to post that warning.i said he was an animal lover.

As I said in my post, there was no reply required. I'm a moderator of the forum so I can put warnings into threads if I see fit. You suggested methods we don't allow discussion of, thus I put in a warning. Do NOT reply on thread to this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I need ideas guys.a friend of mine works in a delivery job and encounters dogs all the time.it's the vicious ones hes worried about.can anyone suggest methods of keeping them at bay?
    Hes an animal / dog lover and doesn't want to permanently hurt them just give them a message to piss off!
    And no tips on how to deal with them please eg act like your not afraid or command them to sit down or that bs.
    Something perhaps you can buy online or whatever.

Cheers.

This is what need.
    http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/products/dog-training-and-accessories/stop-barking/dog-stop-alarm
    I find it great!

........................... I think the word I'm looking for is.....anyway i think ill advise him to go with the ultrasound device.thanks to those that replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

I don't think there is anything you can do. A dog that wants to protect it's house is not going to be stopped by a loud bang or some ulstrasonic noise. Otherwise it's a lousy guard dog.
    An post would just not deliver at that house if they only have an inkling that the dog might possibly bite. I think your friend should do the same. There is no need to put himself in any sort of danger. It's simple, you can't deliver a package if the house is guarded by an aggressive guard dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Really I've never heard of that.not to sound dumb and I know where to get compressed air but are there specific ones that would do for dogs and where would he get them ?

You can get Pet Corrector spray in most pet shops, the one in Carrickmines carries it. But we've also used the standard stuff from the hardware store :D

We used it fpr training to stop our guy barking at other dogs when on leash, and it worked a treat. Now he's super friendly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Pet Corrector compressed air is very useful. I used it to stop our dog jumping and mouthing when he was younger.

But as was said, a dog who wants to defend his house won't notice it.

Our dog reacts badly to those ultrasound things and even cornered the esb meter reader when he used it on him. It seemed to just wind the poor dog up.

People have to give prior notice of coming to my house, I have phoned esb, eircon etc and it's on their files not to attend if no ones home.

shuridunno wrote: »
    Pet Corrector compressed air is very useful. I used it to stop our dog jumping and mouthing when he was younger.

But as was said, a dog who wants to defend his house won't notice it.

Our dog reacts badly to those ultrasound things and even cornered the esb meter reader when he used it on him. It seemed to just wind the poor dog up.

People have to give prior notice of coming to my house, I have phoned esb, eircon etc and it's on their files not to attend if no ones home.

Jeez im not going to your house lol

But seriously dog owners have a lot to answer for.they know for example the postie will be around every day at a certain time and yet they still leave their dogs out to roam free.
    The bloody owners need a dose of compressed air lol(starpants is going to kill me)
    Thanks again for your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

If your mate is having serious bother with doing his job he should be able to let the householder know through whatever business he works for.

Our dog is secured at the back of the house but there is still access required at times for oil delivery etc.

I never did anything to make my dog like he is, but he's a good deterent and everyone knows he's not to be messed with.

I would hate for my dog to have to pay for defending me or my home, so I don't leave him out loose unless I'm there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

But seriously dog owners have a lot to answer for.they know for example the postie will be around every day at a certain time and yet they still leave their dogs out to roam free.
    Eh, leave their dogs out to roam free? I thought you meant they're on their own properties? If it's their home, it's private property and your friend is the one trespassing on their territory, not the other way around!:p

magentas wrote: »

Eh, leave their dogs out to roam free? I thought you meant they're on their own properties? If it's their home, it's private property and your friend is the one trespassing on their territory, not the other way around!:p

I'm not sure what you are saying ?
    What if its a delivery for them and he has to go onto the property?

Advertisement