Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview any 3 deceased people of your choosing?

• 07-06-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

After doing a quick search, the question has been asked to some extent before but not quite like this.

In the hope of rousing some very interesting debate, I pose the question: If you had the chance to go back in time and interview three deceased historical figures, which 3 people would you choose?

I would have to say Napoleon Bonaparte, first.
    I would love to ask why he decided to invade Egypt, when it would have been highly beneficial to send a second invasion force to Ireland.

Secondly, Robert Emmett.
    From an early age I was greatly impressed by the exploits and cunning of Emmett.

Third, Joan of Arc.
    I wouldn't even know where to start during an interview, so much to learn from such a remarkable figure.

So, does anyone have any interesting suggestions?

Edit: translator will be supplied :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

After doing a quick search, the question has been asked to some extent before but not quite like this.

In the hope of rousing some very interesting debate, I pose the question: If you had the chance to go back in time and interview three deceased historical figures, which 3 people would you choose?

I would have to say Napoleon Bonaparte, first.
    I would love to ask why he decided to invade Egypt, when it would have been highly beneficial to send a second invasion force to Ireland.

Secondly, Robert Emmett.
    From an early age I was greatly impressed by the exploits and cunning of Emmett.

Third, Joan of Arc.
    I wouldn't even know where to start during an interview, so much to learn from such a remarkable figure.

So, does anyone have any interesting suggestions?

Will a translator be supplied?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Seals 1 and 2 from last night's beheading, with the original Flipper to interpret for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I would like to interview Hitler three times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Maddie McCann - Find out the truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Third, Joan of Arc.

I heard she was pretty hot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Will a translator be supplied?

Goes without saying. But I will edit it now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Groucho, Chico and Harpo Marx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

John F Kennedy because he was a brilliant speaker, a good president and a pure pup, I'd love to ask him about all his escapades!

Queen Victoria because she was an absolutely ball breaker! She helped mould the UK into one of the super powers of the worldAnd I'm fascinated with royals.

Micheal Collins to know what does he think of the way the country is ran now and because he was a fine thing in his day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Vald the Impaler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

1. Micheal Collins - but not mention the future. I suspect that would break his heart! To find out what he really thought about the man that sold him out!

2. Lee Harvey Oswald. To find out what he meant "I'm just a patsy!" before he was shot (silenced!) to death by Jack Ruby.

3. Marilyn Monroe - To find out if she was murdered just before she was due (days later) to release a statement/book detailing her affairs with not just one Kennedy but two of them, at around the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Jimi Hendrix
    Mozart
    JFK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Biggins wrote: »
    Marilyn Monroe - To find out if she was murdered just before she was due (days later) to release a statement/book detailing her affairs with not just one Kennedy but two of them, at around the same time!

I'd pick Marilyn, JFK and RFK.

Get the full story from all angles. I imagine some of the details would make your toes curl;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

The first victim of Jack the Ripper

John Tyler - primarily to ask if he would have still turned traitor if he had known the South would lose

the Chief or Speaker of the first Indigenous community to encounter the Spaniards/Italians in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Jesus
    Emily Dickinson
    Dunno about the third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Harvey Milk- see what's he makes of things
    Robert Kennedy- was it all worth it
    Oscar Wilde- for the lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Ché Guevara - one of the great political thinkers of the 20th century
    Michael Collins - to find out why he sold Ireland out
    Jesus - to see of he truly was the son of God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Micheal Collins - Irelands greatest leader in my opinion, ive read as much of his writings as i can find and ive a tonne of things id love to know

Biggie - lol just a massive fan as my name suggests, not hugely relevent to most boardsies but its my choice!

James Connoly - ask him what he thinks of labour these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

1 spike milligan
    2 george carlin
    3 rosa parks

first 2 for the laughs that would ensue and rosa because she was fearless in her actions - no big crowd to back her up - little woman on her own against american apartheid - truly class - we could do with the like of her now

but f2uk me the first 2 would be so funny your stomach would explode :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Michael Collins
    Adolf Hitler
    Albert Eienstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hitler
    Bin Laden
    Gaddafi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Skippy
    Lassie
    Flipper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Princess Diana, to see if Harry was Charlies sprog ..

Jack Ruby

Phil Lynnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Albert Einstein

I'ld say interviewing him alone would be more than interviewing 3 people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Jim Morrison
    Kurt Cobain
    Friedrich Nietzche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Plato,
    Freddie Murcury,
    Either Kurt Cobain so I can allure him with my charms, or my mother.
    I think my mother would win actually.
    Or maybe River Phoenix - he was hot too.
    I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

1 JFK - Why on the morning of your death ,after saying to your SS agents quote '' it only takes somebody to get on top of a building with high powered rifle to kill the president '' did you not up the ante with your security on the way into Dallas ?

2 Hitler - what the fcuk were you playing at back then ?

3 John Lennon - Why didn't ya have a bodyguard with ya that night man ? ...it's not like you couldn't afford one .

Dotsey wrote: »
    Ché Guevara - one of the great political thinkers of the 20th century
    Jesus - to see of he truly was the son of God

everytime i see stuff along these lines i laugh.... Kindly educate yourself on correct irish history. Do you even know what happened leading up to and during the signing of the treaty????....

Dotsey

The British gave Collins only so many hrs to make his mind up ,26 counties or nothing ? A trip back over to Ireland to discuss it with his goverment or put it to the people wasn't on the cards so he took the 26 but wasn't happy with it ...to say the least .

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Kurt Cobain
    George Best just for the stories
    and John Gotti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Herodotus. Find out where he came up with the crazier stuff he wrote about.
    Abe Lincoln. Find out if he really did hunt Vampires.
    William Shakespeare. I would ask him if he really did write all his poems and plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jim Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

1) Colin McRea - Id ask him whats his favorite car. I met him once(for a few min), It was a dream come true.

2) 2pac - Id ask him who he looked up to as a kid.

3) Joey Dunlop - Id ask him what was his favorite motorbike. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

1) Albert Einstein would surely have to be there

2)JFK - There's so many questions you could ask ..

3) D.B cooper id love to know the full story and what did really happen to the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Doesn't matter who you interview they aren't going to reply.

Being dead and all . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Forget Che Guevara, Kurt Kobain. Famous people and such like would come very far down my list. I'd want to interview those special to me. Assuming interview a dead one means 'directing a chat with' I'd run with my own.

I'd interview:
    My granddad (mother's side).
    My great aunt Rose.
    My brother.

For me, fascinating; for the rest of you .......meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

I am surprised that Che Guevara has only been listed once.

Latchy wrote: »
    The British gave Collins only so many hrs to make his mind up ,26 counties or nothing ? A trip back over to Ireland to discuss it with his goverment or put it to the people wasn't on the cards so he took the 26 but wasn't happy with it ...to say the least .

thats is also incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

twinytwo wrote: »
    thats is also incorrect.

Yes Lloyd George and his 2 letters ultimatum. One ready to be delivered by warship waiting at Holyhead to resume hostilities in Ireland

The Welsh Wizard just could not help himself when it came to theatrics.

Why would the British army in Ireland have to be communicated with by a message carried onboard a ship when telegrams and indeed telephones were available?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I'd love to meet Ernest Hemingway to see if he really was a great fighter!

I think it would be interesting to talk to William Shakespeare to learn more about his life (which little is known about), inspiration for his plays, etc.

I'd love to get plastered with F Scott Fitzgerald, apparently he was quite the drinker!

Most of those are pretty boring... Would I be able to go back in time to the 1930s, interview an up and coming Hitler, and then kill him? But then when I came back to future (wink) the world would probably be ruled by alien giraffe-spiders.

Hm...

I'll get back to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Number one has to be Hitler. See if decades of rotting has changed his mind on some of his ideas.

Number two would be Caesar. Get a blow-by-blow (bad choice of words) account of his last day.

Number three would be Jesus, I suppose. Ask him what he thinks of everything that has followed in his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Vlad the Impaler

Ned Kelly

Yuri Gagarin

twinytwo wrote: »
    thats is also incorrect.
    No it's not .

After the tedious Treaty discussions, Lloyd George and his British team offered Ireland Free State status coupled with an oath of allegiance. Collins knew this was not what he was sent for, but on December 5, an ultimatum was issued. Lloyd George gave the Irish side until 10 p.m. that night to accept or reject the terms. Failure to do this would result in "an immediate and terrible war." The Anglo-Irish Treaty, the first ever treaty between England and Ireland, was signed by both sides around 2 a.m. on December 6, 1921. Collins was both disappointed and exhausted. Later he was to challenge the notion that he signed the Treaty under duress:

http://sarasmichaelcollinssite.com/the_anglo-irish_treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

Baruch Spinoza

George Orwell

Albert Einstein

To be honest really don't think any of them would have any interest in talking to me.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Pierre de Fermat - tell me the fu.cking proof, ya pri.ck.

Bruce Lee - was you assassassin-, assinated, were you killed by some Kung Fu Hitman?

Steve Jobs - God runs Debian, doesn't he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dotsey wrote: »

Seriously, some people need to pick up a detailed history book and study it.

The short version:

Firstly, Dev made the unprecedented move to expose Collins to the British.
    Up till then, all they had in regards his actual I.D., was a badly taken photo of him and little else.
    Collins himself protested his appointment as envoy plenipotentiary, as he was not a statesman and his revelation to the British (he had previously kept his public presence to a minimum) would reduce his effectiveness as a guerilla leader should hostilities resume.
    LINK

Secondly, Dev saw Collins as a possible challenger to his authority and/or ideas. He needed this sorted, Collins reduced then in public stature if possible.

Thirdly, its greatly stated in many accounts of the times that Dev knew in advance that he was not going to get the full 32 counties.
    He however didn't want to be seen as the fall guy. He ordered Collins to go instead, both exposing him the the British in light of the world and cameras - and exposed him to take the fall for the reduced quick fired settlement that was forced upon him.
    Some historians believe de Valera did not go to London because he knew that Ireland would not get the treaty that she wished for and the people that signed it would be the ones to blame. Since he wanted to remain blameless, so he sent others in his place. de Valera was a very smart man and he knew that it was going to be impossible for Ireland to become a Republic or even united because in the end it would only be a compromise.
    LINK

We all know how the negotiations eventually ended up.

Even after Collins death, the wrath of Dev didn't stop.
    To quote Tim Pat Coogan - a world recognised authority on Irish history (Irish Times Monday Jan 31st 2005).
    (Below he refers to a foundation that was sought in Collins name)
    Behind de Valera's refusal to support the foundation there also lie several other examples of mean-spiritedness, such as the squabbling for years over the attendance of the Army at Bealnablath, or the air-brushing of mention of Collins out of the official Department of foreign Affairs publication. Facts About Ireland. In particular, there is the sorry saga of the Collins memorial in Glasnevin cemetery.

It is a matter of record that for years Johnny Collins, a civil servant, and thus very much at de Valera's mercy, strove unsuccessfully to have a fitting memorial erected over his brother, who, as the first Com-mander-in-Chief of the Irish Army, lay in a military grave. Again McGrath had offered to fund this, but the family insisted on paying for the memorial themselves. Finally, de Valera called Johnny in and stipulated that the cost of the memorial should not exceed 371.01€ and it should be in limestone, not marble. He prescribed a formula of words he wanted used on the cross and ordered that there be no English on the front of it. The cemetery records show, that, on July 31st, 1939, a few weeks before the world went to war, Taoiseach de Valera took time out to sign personally the certificate of authorisation for the design and erection of the memorial cross over his old adversary.

What the certification does not show is the fact that de Valera forbade Johnny to allow attendance at the dedication ceremony, either by the press, the public, or by any member of the Collins family apart from Johnny himself. Only the officiating priest and an altar boy were permitted to be present. Had an out-raged off-duty gravedigger, who tended Collins's grave, not accidentally come across the melancholy little ceremony and hailed a passing tourist with a camera, there would have been no pictorial record of Johnny standing alone, apart from the gravedigger, at his famous brother's graveside. It was published, for the first time, in my biography of Collins.
    LINK

The above is gone into further detail in a number of Coogan's heavy detail filled books - besides many others.

To quote another section:
    The 1916 the 50th anniversary celebrations at the GPO were attended by a distinguished Irish-American delegation, including Congressman John Fogarty of Rhode Island, a particular favourite of de Valera's because of Fogarty's record in sponsoring House resolutions advocating Irish unity. Foley was so close to Fogarty and his three brothers, that he said he was described as "the fifth Fogarty". Foley told me that, at a convivial reception in Aras an Uachtarain after the GPO events, Fogarty took advantage of his standing with de Valera to inquire: "Mr President, what's the story of your involvement in the death of Michael Collins?" De Valera replied: "I can't say a thing John but - that fellow had it coming to him."

Both quotes above goes to possibly show a character side of Dev that he tried to keep hidden, but let lose at times!

I'm digressing however.
    Its historically generally recorded that it was no real fault of Collins that we were left with 26 counties.
    A proverbial gun was put to his head - one that the coward Dev knew would be coming, didn't want to face himself - so he sent a fallguy instead over to England in his wake.
    ...And by chance, killing two birds with one stone, gaining an opportunity to reduce the effect of Collins in a number of ways!

I finish up this side-issue with this:
    ...two things are certain: There has never been a man in Irish history to do more in a short amount of time than Michael Collins and die believing in his cause. Second, Ireland today is still fighting; they are still divided and there seems to be no end, but one day when people are able to see past their differences and look back on one man whose dream was a free Ireland. A united Ireland then maybe they will stop and the country will become one just as Michael Collins once believed could happen.
    LINK

Rest In Peace Michael Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

1. Tupac
    2. Hitler
    3. Tupac again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

If all three were deceased that surely wouldn't make for a very good interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I gave up interviewing deceased people after watching that last episode of Fringe. Gave me an uncomfortableness, it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Geronimo - the epitomy of the word 'warrior'. Wise too.

Tutankhamun - love to know exactly what was happening during his reign, ask him about his years as King and to find out about those opposed to him.

Jack the Ripper - obviously would need to know for sure who he was, but...would no doubt be interesting and chilling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

1.Rasputin of course, a fascinating person!
    2.Attila the Hun because so little is known about him and the Huns.
    3.Vlad the Impaler, because modern politicians could learn a lot of good things from him (if we put the impaling etc aside)

• Advertisement
Advertisement