Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single mother. Would I qualify for ent allowence if I moved in with my sister?

• 07-06-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment myself, my 2 year old daughter and my sister are living with my parents in the middle of the countryside. I really want to get back on my feet and start working but that is impossible while living with my parents as I would have no transport to a job. Myself and my 19 year old sister would both like to move to the nearest town and find jobs, sharing childcare between us. Would I qualify for rent allowence in these circumstances, untill I get myself sorted? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Simple answer is no.
    You need to be renting privately for six months and ideally on the social housing list.
    You and your sister would have to apply seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

these are the guidelines,

You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or

Have been assessed by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing in the last 12 months. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement. Rent Supplement is not payable while the local authority is carrying out a housing needs assessment.

realistically your best bet is to move somewhere you and your sister can afford now even if it is just a two bed and you both share with the kids - get housing authority to assess your needs while living like this, get yourselves jobs and pay your own way for 6mths yes it will be struggle but that is life and lots of people have to do it its about the long game not just the here and now, then in 6mths you will qualify that is if the housing authority dont deem you in need of housing in the mean time

you have to take a bit of a risk OP and in life 6mths is nothing just make sure you can both afford it for now, yes you wont be living the high life every weekend but as long as you can afford rent, bills and food

Also if your in full time employment ie 30hrs or more you dont qualify either

Advertisement