Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need bigger hdd

Options
  • 07-06-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have a 160gb ps3. And the HDD is full. Would I be better replacing the hard drive with a bigger one or is it possible to buy any an external one for it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

Ate they difficult to install

Not particularly. Restoring your files after can be a pickle at times. There are plenty of tutorials online and video-walkthroughs. I'm at work now so I can't add one here.

Cool ill have a look and see what I can find on youtube. You said it can be a bit of a pickle to restore the data. Would I lose any of the stuff I have on the current hdd

Its been ages since I did it TBH but I lost some games and save files. The games I could re-download. The save files though were another issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Otacon wrote: »
    Its been ages since I did it TBH but I lost some games and save files. The games I could re-download. The save files though were another issue.

I assume the PS+ cloud save feature would get around this?

RedXIV wrote: »

Yup.

I did mine before that became a feature.

I was just looking I have 131mb used out if 150mb for the cloud storage. I never realised that there was a limit on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

dclewis wrote: »

I was just looking I have 131mb used out if 150mb for the cloud storage. I never realised that there was a limit on it

Interesting. Can I ask where you can check this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Make sure you format to FAT32 before you install it, I used a program called swiss knife on my 500gb install as windows will only format up to 32gb, once formatted its only a matter of installing it. easy peasy.

Make sure you backup everything, ie system backup and also game save backup to usb

• Advertisement

Interesting. Can I ask where you can check this?

I read it wrong I actually have 131 left I just uploaded another game save to it and it went down to 130.

Under the game section go up to saved data utility PS3. And when you go into that online storage should be on the top it will say it directly under the words online storage

Make sure you backup everything, ie system backup and also game save backup to usb

How do I Do this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How do I Do this

Connect any USB drive formatted to FAT32 to the PS3. Select the back up option in the system setttings and it will do its thing.

There is youtube vids showing exactly how to do this, it's simple though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Connect any USB drive formatted to FAT32 to the PS3. Select the back up option in the system setttings and it will do its thing.

There is youtube vids showing exactly how to do this, it's simple though.

make sure you copy your game saves also onto a USB of some sort as this is not included in the backup

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I could do with upgrading my hard drive too,I still have a 60 gig one ;s

Would this hdd be any good

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE1855969

Or if I decided to go for an external one would this be ok

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2324152

Is there any benefits of using an internal one as oppose to an external one

That is 3.5 inch, not 2.5, so it won't work.

This should though

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=GCE12540
    Or if I decided to go for an external one would this be ok

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2324152

Is there any benefits of using an internal one as oppose to an external one

That external is fine but externals are only good for media like movies, music and pictures. You will not be able to install games on it.

Cool thanks for that. So an internal one it is then

Advertisement