Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portrush or Portstewart holiday with kids

• 07-06-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭

i am trying to book a self catering break in Ireland for our family holiday We have 3 small kids under 4 one of which is a newborn so don't want the hassle of flying or boats etc.

In Ireland we were looking for a good town with play areas, pools, amusements for kids and close to a beach. We were looking at down south but then someone mentioned portrush or portstewart to me and said it was a lovely area. I have never been so just wondered what people thought of it especially people travelling with kids? Or does anyone have any other good ideas of where we could go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's a great area for a little break with the kids imo. Both are great seaside towns with plenty to do in/around them.

In Portrush you have Barrys Amusements, Waterworld waterpark/bowling, the Dunluce Centre, great beaches, golf/pitch&putt if you're into that.

Portstewart doesn't have as much but has a great little marina area with slides, paddling pools, pedalos and the like.

In the area then you have the Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Carrick-a-Rede ropebridge. For shopping Coleraine is a short drive away and there's stuff to interest kids at the Jet Centre there too... there's plenty to do!

I'm from NI and it used to be where my parents take us for little breaks, loved it! Heading up again in a couple of weeks myself actually :pac:

EDIT: I only just read the ages of your kids, which might rule out a bit of the above and suit slightly older kids - but still, I'd recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Amazing beaches...very unpredictable weather. Good for golf, but not with the kids i guess.

Portstewart is much nicer than Portrush as far as the town is concerned, bit run down, although it's been 5 years or so since I was there. Portrush has the famous Barry's amusement arcade which was possibly the most exciting place in the world for a 5 year old 30 years ago, but I suspect it has aged rather badly !

You do have those great beaches (the strand in particular) , the Giant's causeway and you could drive down along the coast and explore the Glens of Antrim. At a stretch you could drive to Belfast for the day and either see the Zoo (recently redeveloped) or the W5 centre for kids.

Advertisement