Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacific Gem Hops

Options
  • 07-06-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Does anyone use Pacific Gem Hops.

I have 17% alpha acid Pacific Gem Hops and I have brewed a couple of Blondes over the last few months and I love the flavour profile I am getting with them. I usually use them as a bittering hop, would they be too punchy for aroma hops. I have used 12grams in a 28litre brew as aroma hops along with some others, will the alpha acid being high make it undrinkable.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nope, it's the miracle of the new Kiwi varieties: bags of alpha acid but no harshness.

I did a single-hop Pacific Gem pale ale a while back it was very pleased with it. Hop schedule was:
    25 g Pacific Gem boiled 60 min
    25 g Pacific Gem boiled 15 min
    25 g Pacific Gem boiled 0 min
    Dry hopped a week later with 26g Pacific Gem.

Whack 'em in!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope, it's the miracle of the new Kiwi varieties: bags of alpha acid but no harshness.

I did a single-hop Pacific Gem pale ale a while back it was very pleased with it. Hop schedule was:
    25 g Pacific Gem boiled 60 min
    25 g Pacific Gem boiled 15 min
    25 g Pacific Gem boiled 0 min
    Dry hopped a week later with 26g Pacific Gem.

Whack 'em in!

Jesus that is some amount of Pacific gem, I thought I was bad outting 17g in as bittering hops in a 25l batch, I'm doing a blonde on thursday evening and ill bang in 50g or so into that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just for completeness, that was 3kg of DME plus 500g of crystal (steeped), and made 18L at 1.061. The yeast was US-05.

My hops were a bit weaker than yours, though, at 14.6% AA.

Advertisement