Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of trolling on Facebook - Before ye do...

• 07-06-2012 4:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

A (cautionary?) story from the BBC for Facebook trolls!
    A woman who was abused on the internet has won court backing in her bid to gain the identities of those who targeted her.

Nicola Brookes, from Brighton, was falsely portrayed as a paedophile and drug dealer by internet trolls.

She has been granted a High Court order asking Facebook to reveal the IP addresses of people who had abused her so she can prosecute them.
    LINK

Hopefully there is no Irish people involved but from the news story, we might gather that Facebook is now willing to hand over necessary info, when requested right, so that idiots can be further answerable for their actions.

Some will say "So what!" or "Big deal!" etc...
    ...But remember its idiots like those the woman is now going to take to court, that also are responsible for things like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1246284/Teenage-Irish-girl-emigrated-America-hanged-cyber-bullying-torment.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

About time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Facebook is the last place I'd go to satisfy my trolling needs*

*not that I have any, ever, honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Biggins wrote: »
    Hopefully there is no Irish people involved but from the news story, we might gather that Facebook is now willing to hand over necessary info, when requested right, so that idiots can be further answerable for their actions.

"Willing" or obliged - just liked boards.ie would be if they got a court order?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Seems fair to me

Are they doing the same on ****book?
    If so, i'm ****ed.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Eoin wrote: »
    "Willing" or obliged - just liked boards.ie would be if they got a court order?

Both.
    They could have said "No" and/or been difficult about privacy issues, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Big difference between teenagers bullying somebody and a grown woman being labelled a pedo

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I never really understood all this troll stuff but i would think facebook would be the last place to be acting the gob****e on.

I'm sure there will be a knock on effect to this and we will hear of more cases shoot up in ireland and elsewhere.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Big difference between teenagers bullying somebody and a grown woman being labelled a pedo

In either case (and sadly for one Irish girl as we now know) it might be enough eventually, to push them to do something that is unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Why would you troll on Facebook of all places. The "troll" deserve what they get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

A British court has no jurisdiction over Facebook, surely.

If the company has servers based in England, it additionally helps.
    This might be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'll be doing my trolling from internet cafes from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I wouldn't dream of trolling the internet.

The internet is for the truth only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I bet the perpetrators aren't feeling too comfortable at the moment.

I bet the perpetrators aren't feeling too comfortable at the moment.

...And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ugh trolling takes so much effort and work...:pac: so youll never catch me trolling anyway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Jebus Biggins,I thought at first glance you were going trolling facebook :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

In either case (and sadly for one Irish girl as we now know) it might be enough eventually, to push them to do something that is unfortunate.

there's more to the phoebe prince case than a simple "Internet bullying => suicide".

http://img.slate.com/media/31/100721_Bull-E_final_3.pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LOL

UK would probably represent 5-10% of Facebook's potential advertising revenue.

When faced with a court order any Interweb company will bend over backwards to show they are cooperating.

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    there's more to the phoebe prince case than a simple "Internet bullying => suicide".

http://img.slate.com/media/31/100721_Bull-E_final_3.pdf

All true.

The point was and still is though, that for some, such behaviour might be the straw that breaks the camels back or is enough on its own for later unfortunate consequences.

Outside of facebook - but still on the internet and trolling...
    A warrant has been issued for the arrest of an internet troll who sent a threatening email to Conservative MP Louise Mensch.
    Frank Zimmerman, 60, from Barnwood, Gloucester, was due to be sentenced at Cheltenham Magistrates' Court earlier but failed to turn up.
    He emailed the MP for Corby, telling her to stop using Twitter or face the consequences.
    He was found guilty in his absence by Gloucester magistrates in April.

...Zimmerman was convicted of sending by public communication network an offensive, indecent, obscene, menacing message or matter.
    LINK

I suspect the bold part above in both cases is what the law is in England based around as regards trolling, be it on Facebook or beyond it, by electronic means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

BBC Panorama did a show about facebook trolls before.

They found out who they were, one of them went to jail because the stuff he wrote was racist I think. They said it's hard to arrest them because there's not really any laws about it other than that and harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

And rightly so!

If a person is constantly harassed, abused, bullied or their privacy threatened,(and of course have proof) a court order can be granted to release the IP address of the suspected culprit. This goes for all sites not just Facebook, they have to release it once faced with a court order.

Serves them right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Best to have a small or limited group of friends on facebook to lessen the chance of these trolls coming into your world .

Better the divil ya know than the one ya dont .:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

An IP address isn't someone's identity.

It's wrong what happened but if the IP address leads to someone who didn't password protect their wireless router then it could be anyone within range of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

does the mac address of your network card get recorded along with the IP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'm going to include a do not read warning on all my FB posts from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Caliden wrote: »
    An IP address isn't someone's identity.

It's wrong what happened but if the IP address leads to someone who didn't password protect their wireless router then it could be anyone within range of it...

Yes but if they have enough info it will lead them in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

While I'd agree with the points made about cyber bullies, I would have to question the certain level of hypocrisy from the OP. While he condemns those mentioned above (and rightly so) does he think its ok to use a public forum to refer to a teenage girl as a gimp and a twat amongst other things? I know people will say its Cher Lloyd and she deserves the abuse. I dont like the girl. But that doesnt mean she (or anyone else) deserves to be constantly attacked on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Phoebe Prince situation is not similar to this and you've caused me a great deal of grief because of this

McBauer wrote: »
    While I'd agree with the points made about cyber bullies, I would have to question the certain level of hypocrisy from the OP. While he condemns those mentioned above (and rightly so) does he think its ok to use a public forum to refer to a teenage girl as a gimp and a twat amongst other things? I know people will say its Cher Lloyd and she deserves the abuse. I dont like the girl. But that doesnt mean she (or anyone else) deserves to be constantly attacked on the internet.

You have a point but to be also accurate, I have not constantly attacked Lloyd but commented on her some far time back and left it at that.
    NOTE: There is also a difference between posting an opinion on her to a separate web area which she might never see against posting something DIRECTLY to the person in a chain of torrid abuse.
    We all have posted something about some individual here or on another section of boards.ie - that don't make it trolling the person itself.

She seems to have done some growing up since then and fair play to her - her music is still not my 'cup of tea' though (find irritating to say the least).

...But again, you do have a point to be also fair.

Now if you was to mention what I often think of the two twats at the top of our government - never mind Phil Hogan and his department's latest stupidity - you'd be more accurate - maybe! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Trollolol....:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spook_ie wrote: »
    does the mac address of your network card get recorded along with the IP?
    not unless there is mad app running on the site that records it.

But if you use an ISP supplied router then it may be phoning home
    Both are unlikely.

But who needs MAC's to ID you ?
    https://panopticlick.eff.org/
    Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,000,001 tested so far.
    Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 111,111 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I think there is a difference between trolling and bullying. What happened to that women was vile bullying and harrassment and I hope the perpetrators get prosecuted. But I've always seen trolling as something a bit more benign, just trying to irritate people, not hurt them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I prefer to troll in real life.

I'm off to the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

OH NOEZ, IP ADDRESSES!! ****ED NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

thinly veiled anti catholic thread op SHAME ON YOU

amidoinitrite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I much prefer trolling on boards.ie to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

MadYaker wrote: »
    I much prefer trolling on boards.ie to be honest.

Trolling on thejournal.ie and newspaper sites etc. is where its at tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

The internet bully meme is a façade. They're only doing this as a precipice to full censorship of the net. They can't have the salves talking freely amongst each other. It's become too dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I hide behind a proxy and VPN when I trolololol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Kevin Myers watch out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A (cautionary?) story from the BBC for Facebook trolls!

LINK

Hopefully there is no Irish people involved

Why, would it make a difference to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Facebook HQ for Europe is in Dublin

Why is a British court issuing orders and just expecting them to be followed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i never thought that it would be possible to get a court order to see someones ip address if they were abusing you on the internet,anyway i think they deserved to be caught,anybody that makes wrongfully makes accusations of you being a paedophile and drug dealer deserves jail in my opinion..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

there is no anonymity online.
    those who think there is are fools.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Why, would it make a difference to you
    I think most of us here in Ireland would dislike to see fellow Irish people doing such stupid, idiotic actions.
    Ones that could have serious consequences sometimes.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Facebook HQ for Europe is in Dublin
    Why is a British court issuing orders and just expecting them to be followed?

They are hoping their requests would be followed.
    Why do they expect them to be followed? Maybe because its the law and they are its official agents?
    There is also international legal agreements which also make the requesting and gaining of such info possible I assume.

The point is that Facebook appears to have now no problem whatsoever in handing over any requested into needed to try identify such idiots.

Advertisement