Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayfly on the Dodder ?

Options
  • 07-06-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm sure I have seen a Mayfly on the Dodder( about 1 1/2 long Yellow body )has any 1 else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Could be a yellow may dun ?
    Mayfly is green or white
    katy39 wrote: »
    I'm sure I have seen a Mayfly on the Dodder( about 1 1/2 long Yellow body )has any 1 else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I seen plenty during the good weather last week wasn't fly fishing tho but the trout were hammering them
    The backwater is full of them aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

Yellow may duns would be about 10-12 mm, mayflies are about 25mm (excluding tails) they are light olive as duns and white with a brown tip in the spinners, the wings of the may duns are yellow and are clear in the mayfly spinners. I would think that they were mayflies going by their size. I saw 2 mayflies at the foot bridge into Bushy park almost to the day 3 years ago I keep a ''Field Diary'' so I checked it, a friend reported seeing one a week before too. the two I saw were both Imagos (spinners). Mayflies E.danica /Vulgarus. like silty bottomed water that is alkali . The Dodder runs over limestone from about Rathfarnham shopping centre. I would like to know exactly where You saw them as the yellow colour may have been the light. a couple of weeks after I went back to look again and saw what could have been (90% sure) a Yellow Sally, a type of stonefly (Plecoptera to all you budding Entomologists) The improvement in water quality in the Dodder could mean that more species of insect are trying to colonise it, (good for the trout)

Advertisement