Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish/longline/boat/deepsea/galway

Options
  • 07-06-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

ok bought a longline off ebay with 10 hooks spread out on 60 foot line. does any1 hav any tips for setting these up. or what to bate them with..im thinking mackeral? will be throwing fish back unless they good food! and will check very often to prevent killing unwanted fish! also what locations work best? what could i catch?
    and where is good place to put it in galway either in claddagh,salthill,rusheen,silverstrand, spiddal peir or in the bay i hav small boat maybe beside lighthouse? or other mside of lighthouse? thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jackfinzo wrote: »
    ok bought a longline off ebay with 10 hooks spread out on 60 foot line. does any1 hav any tips for setting these up. or what to bate them with..im thinking mackeral? will be throwing fish back unless they good food! and will check very often to prevent killing unwanted fish! also what locations work best? what could i catch?
    and where is good place to put it in galway either in claddagh,salthill,rusheen,silverstrand, spiddal peir or in the bay i hav small boat maybe beside lighthouse? or other mside of lighthouse? thanks for any info

Are you serious? Longlining is a commercial activity, requiring a commercial fishing licence. If you don't have a commercial fishing licence you should not be doing it. What's wrong with a fishing rod and trying to catch fish in a sporting method?

Fish caught on a longline will, in many cases, be dead by the time you retrieve it - how are you going to release them back if they are too small then? Also, any anglers or commercial fishermen who see you doing this will not be happy! Be prepared for plenty of verbal abuse if you do it.

The Claddagh (inside Nimmos pier) is part of the River Corrib and you can also be prosecuted for using a longline there, as it is part of the salmon fishery.

As an angler in Galway I would be very annoyed to see someone longlining in this area, especially if they weren't a licensed commercial fisherman. Buy a rod and fish sportingly like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jackfinzo

ok fair enough i wont longline so bidding does nt end until tonight so i leave it. can u have a lookk at my other post as am getting no reply thats y i though long line b a good idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jackfinzo

Advertisement