Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subbing: Discipline

• 07-06-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Got my first day's subbing today! :D delighted, wasn't really expecting any calls until September when I had my results.

Anyways, just wondering how sub teachers deal with keeping classes under control in general? In fairness the class I had today weren't bad, but they were a bit hyper after not getting outside for sos or lunch due to rain. I suppose I was conscious of the typical response "Teacher doesn't do that" or "Teacher lets us do this all the time". I don't want to go down the shouting route either, cause let's face it, it doesn't really work anyways.

Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Maybe Ms X does that, but this is how we will do things today. Best way for subbing discipline is to keep them busy and have a few fall backs like a song or a poem to help break the day for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I would tell them at the start of the day that their teacher left a note on the desk telling you all the things that need to be done during the day. That cuts out children coming up to you telling you what needs to be done next! I also say that their teacher said in the note that they're a very good class, and I'll be writing down the names of the children who work really well, their teacher will be delighted when he/she comes back etc.
    If the children are a bit hyper because they didn't get out during break, I'd do some warm up activities with them throughout the day to give them a break from sitting at their desks-shake out arms and legs, jumping jacks, get them to practise their spellings by putting their right hand/leg out for consonants, left for vowels etc. Children love any type of deviation from the norm!
    Best of luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I find that being in teacher mode from the get go helps. So those ten/twenty minutes in the morning when the children come in, stick with the 'good morning, now please put your lunchbox on the shelf and take out your library book'. No chances for misbehaviour to begin, as it almost inevitably will when 'teacher' isn't there. You could find out from one child what they usually do in the morning, but from what I've seen the library book is a good bet.

If you're having younger classes a good picture book can while away time if there's no work left, and it can be used as a reward as well.

Advertisement