Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

john halligans silence on mick wallace....

Options
  • 07-06-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

and his tax dodging speaks volumes in my opinion.

United left alliance???!!! Bull of the highest order!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I honestly don't see how anybody is supporting Mick Wallace at all,

People complain about TD's not being upstanding but here we have a chap that owes loads of people money including everyone one of us as he hasn't paid revenue the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Sorry to hear John is suffering with laryngitis from the
    his singing at Micks going away party last night
    "Silence is Golden" or was
    is it "Stand by your Man Mick"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Cabaal wrote: »

People complain about TD's not being upstanding but here we have a chap that owes loads of people money including everyone one of us as he hasn't paid revenue the VAT.

What really annoys me is that he is currently on his way to the Euros for all the group games with members of his family while the Dail(his job)is still sitting and his company owes all that money to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What about your man who got 6 years for exporting garlic instead of apples and therefore avoiding tax?

Will Mick get the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

To think he is taking what, about €100,000 a year in wages and expenses and all he owes the country. If he was a man he would be the cause of a bye election in Wexford and anounce that he would not take a pension for the time he served as a td.

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »
    What really annoys me is that he is currently on his way to the Euros for all the group games with members of his family while the Dail(his job)is still sitting and his company owes all that money to the country.

He should be cut for every day he is out of the country. I know it would be pittence, but it would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

when yer finished mick bashing ,heres a few things to keep in mind he contributed millions to wexford ,has paid over 14million in taxes already since 2004, he held back a couple of million to try save the business and pay off what creditors he could ,when at the same time the FF effers were overseeing billions being lost into the abyss they created.....

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Yeah leave Mick Wallace alone sure he can't even afford a haircut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hoffmans wrote: »
    when yer finished mick bashing ,heres a few things to keep in mind he contributed millions to wexford ,has paid over 14million in taxes already since 2004, he held back a couple of million to try save the business and pay off what creditors he could ,when at the same time the FF effers were overseeing billions being lost into the abyss they created.....

By that reasoning everyone on this thread board might as well not bother paying any taxes in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I WANT A PINK SHIRT AND I WANT IT NOW!! I WISH I HAD HAIR AS WELL can ye hear me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

he contributed millions alright!! all borrowed on the back of an unsustainable property bubble, which he embraced with open arms!! But dont worry because the taxpayer i.e. YOU and ME, has taken up the tab for mick and his cronies, whilst he swans around poland and ukraine at EURO 2012!!!

just because he wears pink shirts doesnt make him any different from the gangsters wearing charvet shirts!!!

SICKENING TO HEAR MING LAST NIGHT USE HIS WEASEL WORDS AND SAY THAT WALLACE WAS "ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE YOU COULD MEET"! (They still say that about ronnie kray in the east end of london!!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I always find it amusing that people say he's a very nice person, thats all very fine and well but lots of people were considered very nice. Sure Bertie is a great example, people loved the chap but that didn't mean he didn't do anything wrong.

Just because Mick may be nice and gave jobs through the boom does not in anyway forgive what he's done, plenty of property lads gave people jobs but owed millions and Mick is no different to them.

He is unsuitable to be a TD no matter how nice he is, if he can pay his debts then he can stay a TD but if not then he needs to step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

He is unsuitable to be a TD no matter how nice he is, if he can pay his debts then he can stay a TD but if not then he needs to step down.

In fairness it's not about whether he can pay his debts, it's about the fact that he didn't pay his VAT, which is a criminal offence. He should have paid his taxes, whatever else was going on - yes it's tough if your business is going south, but I can forgive someone whose business is in difficulty having to lay people off or being declared bankrupt.

What I can't forgive is a millionaire not paying his taxes. If he doesn't pay his share, then why the hell should I pay mine? Oh sorry, it's deducted at source, which is of course the way it is for the little people! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Mick says that his company owes the revenue and not himself, and that his company is a limited liability company.

Now if memory serves me correct, Limited Liability is only there for a company that gets into difficulties through normal trading.

A company that knowingly brakes the law, then the Limited Liability becomes null and void.

He should be persoanlly held to account for all of the €2M+ he owes you and me!!

instead we are being asked to stump up even more money to pay for his largesse.

No wonder this country is Bankrupt - Both Financially and Morally.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Bards wrote: »
    Mick says that his company owes the revenue and not himself, and that his company is a limited liability company.

Now if memory serves me correct, Limited Liability is only there for a company that gets into difficulties through normal trading.

A company that knowingly brakes the law, then the Limited Liability becomes null and void.

He should be persoanlly held to account for all of the €2M+ he owes you and me!!

instead we are being asked to stump up even more money to pay for his largesse.

No wonder this country is Bankrupt - Both Financially and Morally.

He was the director and he signed the declaration. Under the law he will be responsible for the debt and the crime. Limited Liability does not extend to taxes, plus VAT is not an income tax or a tax on profits. It is a tax that the company collects from us the consumer on behalf of the government.

Also this is also the man who cared so much for his workers that at the same time he was deducting pension contributions from wages and not paying them into the pension fund was giving himself and his son a 100% pay rise to over €250,000.

He is no better than CJ and his fancy shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Halligan on WLR in next ten mins or so .

Wait for the bull

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

John Halligan has just stated on WLR that he will be calling on Mick Wallace to resign. He also says that he should endeavour to pay whatever what he can from his current resources to the Revenue Commissioners.

This would be an honourable way to depart and not taking his family off on holidays to the Euros in Poland. This is thumbing his nose to the Irish people and those who elected him in Wexford.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Here's a statistic for Mick and the rest of the South-East TDs to mull over while they're on their summer holidays:

6a00d8342f650553ef0176151fc9ad970c-pi

Source: http://notesonthefront.typepad.com/politicaleconomy/2012/06/the-tide-is-rising-the-boat-is-leaking.html

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I wonder des Willie o"Dea have anything to say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne38vIELzNI&feature=related

• Advertisement

Silverado wrote: »
    John Halligan has just stated on WLR that he will be calling on Mick Wallace to resign. He also says that he should endeavour to pay whatever what he can from his current resources to the Revenue Commissioners.

This would be an honourable way to depart and not taking his family off on holidays to the Euros in Poland. This is thumbing his nose to the Irish people and those who elected him in Wexford.

Had to laugh when he said that Mick Wallace was a decent man. (May not be the exact words he used). He gave a few examples. If Mick Wallace is a decent man for not paying his taxes, or at least trying to pay them, then i wonder does he think Bertie Ahearn is a decent man. Mick may have done good for his area, and so did Bertie. Both however will be remembered for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

listning to the radio today, people in his own area think he is a brilliant decent person who has done alot of good, and there was a man also who worked for him for more than 20 yrs who had great praise for the man,
    so it is the people who know him personally who elected him in the first place have nothing but respect for him

Here's a statistic for Mick and the rest of the South-East TDs to mull over while they're on their summer holidays:

Source: http://notesonthefront.typepad.com/politicaleconomy/2012/06/the-tide-is-rising-the-boat-is-leaking.html

Maybe our TD's and Councillors should forget about arguing if Waterford City and County should be merged, should part of South Kilkenny he taken in Waterford, should South and North Tipp be merged etc, and get together as a group and work together united as a group to get something done to rectify this stat. There is too much them and us with out elected reps in the South East.

goat2 wrote: »
    listning to the radio today, people in his own area think he is a brilliant decent person who has done alot of good, and there was a man also who worked for him for more than 20 yrs who had great praise for the man,
    so it is the people who know him personally who elected him in the first place have nothing but respect for him

Thats whats wrong with Ireland. We vote for Johnny or Mary because we know them and we dont like Paddy or his party so we dont vote for him. We should be voting for the best people to represent us. In the main, the people in the South East at local and national elections are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Saw this the other day too: http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1024443.shtml (second last article) shows that 80% of Direct Foreign Investment goes to Dublin, Cork and Galway. While the forgotten cities of Limerick and Waterford got 8.8% (between them) of all the FDI in the last decade. It was obvious I'm sure to anyone in Waterford, all you had to do was look around, but at least the stats are there now and have been published. Hopefully those idiots we've elected can now start doing something to address the problem, although I wouldn't hold my breath!
    The Irish Times also reports that the National Spatial Strategy is not working, with almost 80 per cent of jobs created by new foreign firms in the last decade being located in Dublin, Cork and Galway, a conference at the ESRI will be told today.

With these three cities also accounting for 62 per cent of job gains in existing foreign firms and less than half of job losses, their share of all foreign employment rose markedly, from 49 per cent to 58 per cent, over the period.

In relation to newly-established foreign firms in the last decade, of the eight spatial strategy gateways (excluding Dublin) only Cork and Galway managed to increase their share of inward investment.

The other six, which between them accounted for 15.9 per cent of foreign employment in 2001, only attracted 7 per cent of employment in new foreign plants.

Economic geographers Chris van Egeraat and Proinnsias Breathnacht from NUI Maynooth are expected to tell the conference that this level of concentration in just three cities shows that the objectives of the spatial strategy are not being met.

According to the geographers, foreign firms investing for the first time have a key role to play in meeting regional policy objectives as they are more flexible in choosing locations for new investment compared to existing foreign firms. Indigenous Irish firms also tend to expand in existing locations.

Speaking to The Irish Times yesterday, Dr van Egeraat said: “Existing firms are less influenced by incentives driven by the National Spatial Strategy as they are already in their location. That is why new foreign firms will play a key role.

“You have to create investment in places to make them attractive for foreign direct investment. Places such as Waterford and Limerick have not received that boost.”

He said these cities represented 8.8 per cent of all foreign employment in 2001, but attracted only 2.8 per cent of employment in new foreign firms while losing 40.5 per cent of their existing foreign employment.

The spatial strategy was published in 2002 as a blueprint for economic and social development within the State over the following 20 years.

It designated nine “gateways” – consisting of the State’s cities as well as the towns of Dundalk and Sligo and the linked gateways of Letterkenny/Derry and the midland towns of Athlone/Tullamore/Mullingar – as preferred places for growth.

These gateways were to be supported by “hubs” such as Killarney, Ennis, Tuam and Kilkenny, which would help channel growth to the regions.

The strategy sought to divert investment from Dublin to the gateways and hubs. However, Dublin alone, with 35 per cent of all foreign employment in 2001, has attracted 53 per cent of jobs in new foreign firms since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone could pay €14m in taxes if they borrowed €40m you clown

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Anyone could pay €14m in taxes if they borrowed €40m you clown

jeas someone was a bit saucy early in the day there,would ya relax boy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

and his tax dodging speaks volumes in my opinion.

United left alliance???!!! Bull of the highest order!!!!
    And the silence of your party colleagues doesn't speak volumes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

and here is another,
    i would say that he had a big staff, which he paid and looked after,
    also, i dont beleive that the man that called garlic apples in paper to get a lower vat rate, should be in jail, it is wrong to have put him in jail, he gave employment to many, and anyway why the huge vat hike in garlic, when it can be grown right here at home,

as for getting the monies owed to the tax, they should be put on an instalment of so much per week or month until it is all paid back, because in these bad times, things should be kept moving and most importantly, keep the dole ques as short as possible,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Yeah, the fookers in the banks shouldn't be held accountable for any of their carry on either as they gaves loads of people jobs!

Advertisement