Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German channels in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-06-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Recently bought a world-radio from Lidl- Cheap and cheerful at 8.99.

IE_69461wk23NI_01_b.jpg

Flicking through bands, cannot get anything outside of Ireland.

There is an opening for an antenna; would this help in receiving foreign channels? In particular German stations.

If you could recommend any gear that might help in doing so I'd be delighted. Even a radio of a higher standard that'd do the trick would be great.

Danke!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Those radios are not very good at all. Do you have broadband ? Lots of german channels online.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

I listen to them regularly online but I'd love to receive them by radio as a hobby.

A quick scan of ebay brings up this radio, not sure if it's any good? Would you be able to recommend a good beginner's radio? Thanks a mill.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RARE-DAK-DMR-3000-WORLD-BAND-SHORTWAVE-RECEIVER-AM-FM-RADIO-WORKS-GREAT-/120928121273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c27e0b1b9

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Germany is closing or has closed a lot of SW. Other stations transmit in German. MW used to be good at night too for German stations. All the Austrian ones have closed.

That silvercrest radio is useless for SW. I never heard of DAK. Some old Grundig and Sony are good (larger rather than most compact is best).

You do really need an outdoor wire aerial, though my VR500, FT817ND and Sony ICF2001D all work on SW indoor using telescopic whip as a does a 1949 pye valve set with 2m wire aerial indoor. Those kind of radio in Aldi and Lidl overload with an external aerial.

Advertisement