Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deepsea/fishing/galway/boat/help/please

Options
  • 07-06-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

for starters im in galway and wont be fishing outside galway smile.gif
    ok so....
    we have small boat in claddagh. we fish for mackeral alot got about 800-1000 last year!
    BUT.... i like the sound of deep sea fishing i have tryed many times on the boat off the lighthouse and closer to shore on the other side once ever i got 1 dogfish! thats all frown.gif

on shore i have got a few dogfish and pollac also hooked conger in salthill but line snapped as was fishing for mackeral not them at time!

so for the questions.....

claddagh salthill or possible spidal peir is best for deep sea fishing? i want conger,flatty,doggy pollac, ect...

i have loads of lead hooks 6 rods 2 bait casters hold approx 300m line! with 30lb rods n line, other rods for mackeral they are lighter with 20lb line approx except one of them is loaded with 30 lb smile.gif
    basicly looking for info on type of fish bait techniques location. also is there good fishing on rusheen bay silverstrand? thanks so much and info tips welcome smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The whole area from Barna to Galway is fairly shallow, and doesn;t hold many fish. It used to have ray, bull huss, dogfish and a few other species, but fishing has been very bad the last few years. You need to go further offshore to get decent fishing. There are good reefs for pollack along the northern side of the bay past Spiddal.

You couldn't fish Rusheen Bay in a boat, too shallow. All you will catch there is mullet - float fishing. Bottom fishing no use as its full of crabs that will eat your bait in no time.

How big is your boat, and do you have any experience of boat handling at sea? The bay can get rough very quickly if the weather changes so you need to be competent and have confidence that your boat can handle a big swell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jackfinzo

boat is 21 foot with 30 hp outboard. ahh yes but wouldnt be into bad weather as not injoyable if nothing else! ahh i will fish from shore aswell!! if u know good place? from claddagh to the closest reef u know of ho wlong would it take approx and where is it? also what could i catch? not big fan of pollac! somthing lik conger shark flatty doggy ray along those lines thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sorry I don't know exact locations of reefs or marks so can't help there. You won't cach shark inside the islands, they are only caught in water over 100 foot deep normally and don't come into the bay. The islands would be a long trip from Galway in a small boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jackfinzo

ok thanks for info! so basicly i hav no chance of sharks, and deep sea fishing localy is ****e! :) where would u say be the best place for me to go to catch somthing fun (not mackeral,pollac n anything tiny) somthing that will put up fight like conger ect.. in the places named above r just local? either by shore fishing r on the boat? thanks a mill :)

Advertisement