Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rds horse show

Options
  • 07-06-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Could anyone tell me what day would be best day to bring kids to the 2012 horse show? They're 7,6 and 5 and fairly cracked on horses. Would it be worth getting tickets for a second day? Will be travelling from Kerry so will probably stay the night. All i know is that Friday is really busy there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

Could anyone tell me what day would be best day to bring kids to the 2012 horse show? They're 7,6 and 5 and fairly cracked on horses. Would it be worth getting tickets for a second day? Will be travelling from Kerry so will probably stay the night. All i know is that Friday is really busy there.

Saturday and Sunday are really geared at kids. There would be lots of entertainment and things on for them. If you look up the Dublin horse show website you will see the kids section has some info about whats on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meg meg

I would suggest Saturday as it is family day and caters well for families especially the children . Lots of extra entertainment laid out and is more child friendly especially for under tens .
    There's also the likes of pony club games and the puissance wall and that on the saturday which is a hit with the kids .

Wouldn't suggest Friday unless you were going without the kids as this is the nations cup day and can be quite busy , full with supporters and competitors .

So Saturday is probably your best day - if staying over night I suggest booking a hotel very soon as the local ones are normally booked months in advance by competitors ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

totally agree, lots of the Pony classes on the Saturday so great opportunity to see kids in action - pony games always a bit hit on the Saturday - there is an area with bouncy castles, facepainting & pony rides aswell as a small open farm.
    Meg meg wrote: »
    I would suggest Saturday as it is family day and caters well for families especially the children . Lots of extra entertainment laid out and is more child friendly especially for under tens .
    There's also the likes of pony club games and the puissance wall and that on the saturday which is a hit with the kids .

Wouldn't suggest Friday unless you were going without the kids as this is the nations cup day and can be quite busy , full with supporters and competitors .

So Saturday is probably your best day - if staying over night I suggest booking a hotel very soon as the local ones are normally booked months in advance by competitors ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CavanLady

I recommend Saturday too! We always go on the Sat and my 2 children love it. It's busy though so keep a close eye on them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Would also recommend you definately bring a picnic & lots of snacks/drinks for the kids. The food in there is very expensive & queues can be long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I would suggest either the Thursday or the Saturday.

Saturday is probably best because you have the pony club games which are always terrific to watch. It's one event I hate to miss because of the agility and the skill that these little ponies show; plus you can enjoy a drink in the long bar while the kids watch the games because they're on in Ring 1. Plus, they're free to watch and you can get right up close. On Saturday, you also have the Puissance test, which all kids especially love to watch.

The worst thing about taking kids on a Saturday however, are the crowds. It can get a little overwhelming. That's why Thursday can be a nice alternative... you have plenty of ridden pony events like the Connemaras competition, you have the parade of RID mares and foals which kids also love, and in the main arena you have the speed derby, which the crowd really get behind and can be quite exciting to watch because of the speed element.

So Saturday is good if crowds are not a problem, otherwise you may find Thursday a little more suitable:)

I would also echo what Marley said about bringing a picnic. There are plenty of picnic areas (if the weather is nice) and I think a picnic while watching one of the events can be a really nice memory for your kids, and is definitely the more economical option too... lets just hope the weather allows it.

Advertisement