Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

• 07-06-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

So, I thought I'd take the initiative. :)

Have an alright feeling about this one, but I'm sure my tune will be different tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Ha, I was just creating this thread! You beat me to it :o
    I'm hoping on 7 questions, Q 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8; I've covered sequences and series, but I'm staying away from that with a barge-pole!
    Hopefully DeMoivre's theorem will appear on Q3, the factor theorem for Q1 and any area proof for Q8. :)
    My first principles with sin and cos are f*cked! :(

Some motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

I wanna do questions 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and i'm still not sure about my last one. I reckon I'll fail paper 1

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I'm only doing 6. I haven't covered the material outside 1,2,3,6,7,8, so hopefully they don't throw stuff from outside :/ If they do what's likely? Induction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I shudder to think what I'll post in this thread tomorrow. If its anything like English P2 I'm gonna be slaughtered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Am I the only one looking forward to paper 1? I really looking forward to it! I hope it goes well anyway! <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Living off attempt marks. Project maths FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Alpha and Beta question tomorrow, any money. Matrices A and C hopefully for 3. Nice easy q5 in case differentiation is hard. Integration will be straightforward hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Alpha and Beta question tomorrow, any money. Matrices A and C hopefully for 3. Nice easy q5 in case differentiation is hard. Integration will be straightforward hopefully

Integration? Straightforward? Juxtaposition me thinks. That ain't possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Integration? Straightforward? Juxtaposition me thinks. That ain't possible

Generally, its the same questions year on year. Hardest part is when ya have to compete the square but its better than induction or a sequences and series part C

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

The only maths words I understood there were integration and differentiation.. Ut oh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I've covered all 8 Qs.. I'll do Q5 unless it's a inequality induction.

And I'm thinking induction of diff rule will come up. To the lad above, Factor Theorem..? Really? It was up last year, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Intend to do all 8 questions! I'd say proof of product/ quoitent or addition rule could come up? Maybe inequality or series induction?
    Hopefully a nice sequence and series! Teloscoping!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Whats the maximum amount of proofs that could come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Intend to do all 8 questions! I'd say proof of product/ quoitent or addition rule could come up? Maybe inequality or series induction?
    Which question is addition rule... Please tell me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Which question is addition rule... Please tell me

Doubt addition will come up but q6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What with Paper 2 being so theorem/definition heavy, I doubt we'll see any major proof business on paper 1

Chuchoter wrote: »
    What with Paper 2 being so theorem/definition heavy, I doubt we'll see any major proof business on paper 1

I seriously feckin hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Sh*tting it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Please be gentle paper 1 I need this to go well :(

Actually I've a really important question, if I start a question but decide that it's wrong and put brackets around it/faintly cross it out, but then it turns out to actually be right, do they still mark it or do they ignore it because I've crossed it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

leaveiton wrote: »
    Actually I've a really important question, if I start a question but decide that it's wrong and put brackets around it/faintly cross it out, but then it turns out to actually be right, do they still mark it or do they ignore it because I've crossed it out?

I did EXACTLY the same thing in English today....... :O

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I've heard they can be sound like that. Let's hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

What's the bet that Paper 1 isn't gonna go down without a fight and they'll throw the worst possible s**t at us?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Correctors mark EVERYTHING. If you cross something out don't do it to the extent that it's illegible. If you cross out the right answer and then do it again but wrong they'll mark both of them and give you the higher marks.

Don't rub ANYTHING out or use any Tipp-Ex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you know how to do Q5, do it. It's usually one of the most straightforward questions on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

I'm only doing Qs 1,2,3,5,6 and 7... Hope to god they don't throw in any random crap into Q5 like they did in 2007 :/

And how likely are differenciation proofs to come up?

Correctors mark EVERYTHING. If you cross something out don't do it to the extent that it's illegible. If you cross out the right answer and then do it again but wrong they'll mark both of them and give you the higher marks.

Don't rub ANYTHING out or use any Tipp-Ex

You 100% sure? I always thought they did but someone told me they don't mark it if you cross it out, even if it's legibile.

If I fail paper 1 and pass paper 2 by enough to give me more than 40% do I still pass even though I failed paper 1

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

You 100% sure? I always thought they did but someone told me they don't mark it if you cross it out, even if it's legibile.

Every teacher in my school says it and I have never heard otherwise. If you want to start again just put a single line through your answer and start again. The easier you make it for the examiner to see your answers the better. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    If I fail paper 1 and pass paper 2 by enough to give me more than 40% do I still pass even though I failed paper 1

Yes, it's your total score.

Advertisement