Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cillian95

Happy with that :D MUCH easier than last year.
    Completely forgot how to do the differentiation from first principles but its the only thing i couldn't do..

Anyone else get question 8 part c out? just wondering if I got it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Thank you...but we were taught a very different formula for the general term. :confused:

Ooops sorry, I skipped a few lines. That is derived from the formula, but you just isolate the x by using the indice rules

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Ooops sorry, I skipped a few lines. That is derived from the formula, but you just isolate the x by using the indice rules

Oh ok, thank you. :) I think I can see now where I went wrong, hopefully won't cost me many marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kakes

I think i got 2k(root3) all over three or something for integration part c...no idea if its right, just kept going til I arrived at something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Same here how did you show that there was no term independent of x ?

I just worked out the expansion and showed that all the values had an x beside them. I have no idea if that's right or not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Kakes wrote: »
    I think i got 2k(root3) all over three or something for integration part c...no idea if its right, just kept going til I arrived at something!

We all seem to have got something with a root k in it so I'd say we were all reasonably close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kyle84

Chuchoter wrote: »
    We all seem to have got something with a root k in it so I'd say we were all reasonably close :)
    good point

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kakes

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Yeah exactly, hopefully it will only be a blunder or 2 and we still end up with 15 or so out of 20 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Dunno where the idea of Q4 being easy came from. I was so good at it, one of my best q's, and I couldnt f*cking do any of it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Wait, was 1 (b) the factor theorem?! I never really did that 'cause it came up last year, I managed to answer it right though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Solutions up in a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Solutions up in a new thread.
    Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

You know for question 6 b (ii)? I got the equation of the tangent for the positive value of root9. I had a feeling that would be right but I also did it out for the negative value as well because I wasn't really sure. Do you reckon it'd cost me marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

leaveiton wrote: »
    You know for question 6 b (ii)? I got the equation of the tangent for the positive value of root9. I had a feeling that would be right but I also did it out for the negative value as well because I wasn't really sure. Do you reckon it'd cost me marks?

Might be a blunder, not too sure.

*Says it was soo easy.. does shít.

Please stop, it was a difficult exam, maths in general is extremely difficult. If you're going to call a leaving cert maths exam easy you best back it up with an A1 grade which by the looks of things you haven't.

Well done to all the tweeps who did well, no doubt through all the hard work paid off

I actually thought it was a very difficult paper and was quite disappointed with it. As a couple of people said (thanks guys) I was just talking about one question, which I didn't do in the exam.

I think I did get an A1 on that paper by the way, between 91 and 93% I'm estimating. But I feel paper 2 will drag me down, so yes I probably will do shít overall, thanks for backing me up on that.

Yeah that's what I thought. Grr, and I was going to leave it the way it was. Oh well, don't think it'll affect the actual grade I think I got.

finality wrote: »
    I actually thought it was a very difficult paper and was quite disappointed with it. As a couple of people said (thanks guys) I was just talking about one question, which I didn't do in the exam.

I think I did get an A1 on that paper by the way, between 91 and 93% I'm estimating. But I feel paper 2 will drag me down, so yes I probably will do shít overall, thanks for backing me up on that.

I don't know how weak your paper 2 is but it's a bit much to imply that anything below an A1 is shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aislingmajella

in q8 b(i) i got 4ln7 and multiplied it in gettin ln28. is this wrong??

Bahhh... Just went through the solutions and I made some silly damn errors.. Concentrated too much on the c's and got some a's wrong.. Estimate 88% before attempt marks.. blah integrated e^3x to 3e^3x.... :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

finality wrote: »

I started to read that but then I realized that you're a girl so your argument is invalid

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

I was pleased with this exam. If you wanted an A1 i'm sure it was really difficult, but I want a C so I'm happy with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Awhh mannnn.... it's ln7^4!!! -1 for slip I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

Yeah cos it ln7^4 not ln7x4! Only a slip probably?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmd64

Do you reckon leaving it as 4ln(7) will be a slip or blunder or will they accept it as full marks?

leaveiton wrote: »
    I don't know how weak your paper 2 is but it's a bit much to imply that anything below an A1 is shít.

As in, it's probably going to drag me down to a B, and maths is my favourite subject, I want an A in it so badly. I don't mean anything below an A1 is shít, it's just really disappointing for me.

Helloxoxo wrote: »

Ah yeah, in fairness he/she got the correct answer just screwed it up in the end. I'm not even sure you'd lose a mark because you know how they always say they take the correct solution.

Helloxoxo wrote: »

I doubt it'd be a slip because 4ln7 is correct, no matter what he did afterwards... Hopefully for him anyways :)

nmd64 wrote: »
    Do you reckon leaving it as 4ln(7) will be a slip or blunder or will they accept it as full marks?

Full marks absolutely.

• Advertisement

nmd64 wrote: »

No that's correct :)

Advertisement