Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Lads in 1b(ii) i effectively made a cubic whose roots are 1 more instead of 1 less...
    how many marks do ye think i'll lose? i mean, will it qualift as a blunder? :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

nmd64 wrote: »
    Do you reckon leaving it as 4ln(7) will be a slip or blunder or will they accept it as full marks?

4ln7 is correct but ln28 is wrong

when you multiply a power you can bring in the number as a power not a multiple.

The correct answer would be ln7^4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Lads in 1b(ii) i effectively made a cubic whose roots are 1 more instead of 1 less...
    how many marks do ye think i'll lose? i mean, will it qualift as a blunder? :confused::(

You read the question wrong. But effectively carried out the same method and answered the question correctly. So, I think it would very harsh to dock you anything more than a mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Probably a misreading, you should only lose a mark as it didn't oversimplify the question.

finality wrote: »
    Probably a misreading, you should only lose a mark as it didn't oversimplify the question.
    Wesc. wrote: »
    You read the question wrong. But effectively carried out the same method and answered the question correctly. So, I think it would very harsh to dock you anything more than a mark.

ah no, you see lads what i did was i took the right answers from the part (i)
    and did something like this with them

(x+2)-1= x+1

(x-1) -1= x-2

(x-3)-1= x-4

and used those roots instead of
    x=-2-1= -3 (x+3)
    x=1-1=0 (x)
    x=3-1=2 (x-2)

you know? :confused: kinda gutted here. ye still think that'll only lose me a mark or two?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

(x+2)-1= x+1

(x-1) -1= x-2

(x-3)-1= x-4

x=-2-1= -3 (x+3)
    x=1-1=0 (x)
    x=3-1=2 (x-2)

you know? :confused: kinda gutted here. ye still think that'll only lose me a mark or two?

That almost caught me aswell, looks like blunder to me bro -3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

(x+2)-1= x+1

(x-1) -1= x-2

(x-3)-1= x-4

x=-2-1= -3 (x+3)
    x=1-1=0 (x)
    x=3-1=2 (x-2)

Ah so you took 1 from the factors.. that's a tough one to call alright. You do realise the max you could lose is 3 marks though? So it's not too bad. Personally, I'd classify that as a blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Theorems

(x+2)-1= x+1

(x-1) -1= x-2

(x-3)-1= x-4

x=-2-1= -3 (x+3)
    x=1-1=0 (x)
    x=3-1=2 (x-2)

I did the exact same, so annoyed at myself
    Hopefully they won't be too mean :/

Wesc. wrote: »
    Ah so you took 1 from the factors.. that's a tough one to call alright. You do realise the max you could lose is 3 marks though? So it's not too bad. Personally, I'd classify that as a blunder.
    That almost caught me aswell, looks like blunder to me bro -3.
    thanks lads, i was starting to get worried but 3 marks aint TOO bad...was hoping for full marks in paper 1 to give me a nice cushion for paper 2 (got 98% in P1 in the mocks, only 85% in P2) but ah well :) cheers again :o

yo-dawg-i-hear-u-have-trouble-undestanding-math-and-science.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

All that was required in question 4 (c) was to find b^2=ac using the common ratio and then use this to show the common difference in the arithmetic series was equal, right?

And for question 6 (c) (ii) was f'(x)=8cos^2(2x)+8cos(2x)+4? And for getting this far and making an equation with y=cos(2x) but going no further how many marks do ye reckon I'd get? I know it's anybody's guess, but just for a small bit of peace of mind!

RedTexan wrote: »
    All that was required in question 4 (c) was to find b^2=ac using the common ratio and then use this to show the common difference in the arithmetic series was equal, right?

Yup. That's how I'd have done it... :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Hey guys need your help.

For 2.C , I misread the damn question and for some damn reason when i multiplied across by x , i had x^2 + x =2x, i brought across the 2x and argued my case that it must be greater than zero.... i did this for both part i, and part ii, i am very very annoyed with myself, this is without a doubt the reason i will not get a b3 in my maths :(

I'm just wondering what marks will I get for each answer?

For c, part iii, i think i got that one right.

Dapics wrote: »
    Hey guys need your help.

For 2.C , I misread the damn question and for some damn reason when i multiplied across by x , i had x^2 + x =2x, i brought across the 2x and argued my case that it must be greater than zero.... i did this for both part i, and part ii, i am very very annoyed with myself, this is without a doubt the reason i will not get a b3 in my maths :(

I'm just wondering what marks will I get for each answer?

For c, part iii, i think i got that one right.

-1 as long as the question was not oversimplified

-1 as long as the question was not oversimplified

You serious?

But the right answer is that any no. squared is greater than zero, i having made this huge blunder without recognising it argued that any no squared (sub no. in for x squared) plus a number (sub no in for x) is greater than zero....

Did it this way twice, taking into account my blunder, i would think the way i progressed with the question I was actually right in my hypotheses...

But I dont really know, are you sure it would be -1 off the answer?

Helloxoxo wrote: »
    It's definitely not a slip.. Probably blunder at least

So I take it that 3 off the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

As a Pass Maths student, reading this thread is making me feel slightly nauseous...

For question 6 (c) (ii) was f'(x)=8cos^2(2x)+8cos(2x)+4? And for getting this far and making an equation with y=cos(2x) but going no further how many marks do ye reckon I'd get? I know it's anybody's guess, but just for a small bit of peace of mind!

Dapics wrote: »
    So I take it that 3 off the answer?

You gotta stop worrying about that stuff bro, like I said if the question isn't oversimplified and the method is correct where you just wrote down the wrong number or whatever it's -1.

But tbh none of us can tell you for certain, forget maths p1 go take a tug get up early tomorrow morning, head down paper 2 bro Gotta work! :D

• Advertisement

For question 6 (c) (ii) was f'(x)=8cos^2(2x)+8cos(2x)+4? And for getting this far and making an equation with y=cos(2x) but going no further how many marks do ye reckon I'd get? I know it's anybody's guess, but just for a small bit of peace of mind!

Part c will probs be 20 marks. 10 marks for differentiating correctly 5 for expressing in cos2x and 5 for the > 0 bit. Depends how everyone else does though

You gotta stop worrying about that stuff bro, like I said if the question isn't oversimplified and the method is correct where you just wrote down the wrong number or whatever it's -1.

But tbh none of us can tell you for certain, forget maths p1 go take a tug get up early tomorrow morning, head down paper 2 bro Gotta work! :D

Shall do, I'm hoping to get an A2 in Paper 2, know co-ords,circle and trig off to a tee and know all theorems.... just need to focus on probability... thanks for your help man!

Part c will probs be 20 marks. 10 marks for differentiating correctly 5 for expressing in cos2x and 5 for the > 0 bit. Depends how everyone else does though
    Yeah, hopefully I'll get 45 and maybe a couple of attempt marks there. Might just push me into solid A1 territory

Was that the correct answer for the expression of f'(x) though?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

What classifies as an attempt mark? For lets say...... Q8 C (ii)? Or in Q2 B (ii) I was literally staring at X^2 + 2x + 1 and JUST SIMPLY COULD NOT THINK OF ITS FACTORS!!! I mean surely the examiner might throw me like 2 marks for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

WestIRL wrote: »
    What classifies as an attempt mark? For lets say...... Q8 C (ii)? Or in Q2 B (ii) I was literally staring at X^2 + 2x + 1 and JUST SIMPLY COULD NOT THINK OF ITS FACTORS!!! I mean surely the examiner might throw me like 2 marks for that?

An attempt mark is performing the first step correctly in solving a problem.

WestIRL wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get maybe 17 out of 20 for getting that far! I just frantically wrote that down and said it must be greater than zero, I hope I didn't scribble over in the heat of the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

I need 85%.

Yeah that's correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 liamduffy1994

(x+2)-1= x+1

(x-1) -1= x-2

(x-3)-1= x-4

x=-2-1= -3 (x+3)
    x=1-1=0 (x)
    x=3-1=2 (x-2)

Did the same mate, was scribbling it at the end so Im happy with anything at all they give me

Advertisement