Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is everyone here doing Higher Leavel? I am doing Ordinary Level, might just do some exam papers tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Yes, it's your total score.

Well thank Jesus for that :) should be ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

2% failure rate in pilot schools lads. Although apparently a lower A1 rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

P1 is going to be a ****. Paper 2 will be doable..

You know, so they can prove project Maths is wonderful and we're all so much better at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Every teacher in my school says it and I have never heard otherwise. If you want to start again just put a single line through your answer and start again. The easier you make it for the examiner to see your answers the better. :)

Phew, that's a relief :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

I don't know but I really like sequences and series and I'd say it might not be too bad, people should keep an open mind and study it a little just in case one of the other questions is demented...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

This is pretty much my attitude for tomorrow
    >......I like trains.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjOL2we8ko

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

failed paper 1 in the mocks. (higher level) but passed altogether.
    wondering if i should drop down??
    i'm so confused like. :( i don't want to fail my leaving cert but i think i have a chance of passing this. O: ahh ): help?
    anyone in the same situation!? :o ahh

Bubbleope wrote: »
    i'm so confused like. :( i don't want to fail my leaving cert but i think i have a chance of passing this. O: ahh ): help?

Yeah but I reckon I'll pass overall

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

All I have to say is --- 25 extra points

full weekend to study for P2 ;)

• Advertisement

What percentage did you get in the mock?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lemonz

So could anyone fill me in if I'm missing any proofs I need to know for Paper I? Only doing Q 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8.

> Factor Theorem
    > De Moivre's Theorem
    > First Principles x^2, x^3, 1/x, square root of x, sin x, cos x.
    > Sum, Product and Quotient Rule.

lemonz wrote: »
    So could anyone fill me in if I'm missing any proofs I need to know for Paper I? Only doing Q 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8.

> Factor Theorem
    > De Moivre's Theorem

Area of disc and stuff for Q8

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    Yeah but I reckon I'll pass overall

hmmm we can hope for the best i suppose! S:
    All I have to say is --- 25 extra points

full weekend to study for P2 ;)

that's true!! :D but i also have to study for irish.. which i have not yet started studying cause i am a fool. /:
    leaveiton wrote: »
    What percentage did you get in the mock?
    only 43%. S: but! i've had grinds since the mocks and i have been studying it. i'm not completely sure i'll pass though. not sure if i should risk it for the biscuit that is 25 extra points. S:

only 43%. S: but! i've had grinds since the mocks and i have been studying it. i'm not completely sure i'll pass though. not sure if i sure risk it for the biscuit that is 25 extra points. S:

What did you get in paper 1 though? I'm sure you'll be fine after getting the grinds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

> Factor Theorem
    > De Moivre's Theorem

Proof by induction for the differential rule. It came up in Q6 in 2006 but Q5 in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

> Factor Theorem
    > De Moivre's Theorem

You're missing induction proof of nx^n-1 came up Q6 2006.

edit: grawr ^^

hmmm we can hope for the best i suppose! S:

that's true!! :D but i also have to study for irish.. which i have not yet started studying cause i am a fool. /:

only 43%. S: but! i've had grinds since the mocks and i have been studying it. i'm not completely sure i'll pass though. not sure if i should risk it for the biscuit that is 25 extra points. S:

If you get 38% in Higher you get 70 points, if you get 100% in Ordinary you get 60 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Just passed the mocks, but then I didn't study for the exam at all and since Easter after I did a George Humprey/Brendan Guildea course, I've done at least 5 Paper 1's.

I just hope it's going to be nice 'cause they need to prove that Project Maths is working and stuff and we'll all pass and go to college and not have to repeat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Is everyone here doing Higher Leavel? I am doing Ordinary Level, might just do some exam papers tonight...

The ordinary level thread is here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 lemonz

Thanks... ugh, was really trying to avoid induction at all costs >_< Any links to sites that cover the induction proofs of these? Or are they in text and tests?

Edit: Never mind, got it. Only one proof, not too bad.

What did you get in paper 1 though? I'm sure you'll be fine after getting the grinds :)

i think it was 35% S: and then 52% for paper 2. hmmmm yeah i think i'll be grand. just gonna go off and try a few exam questions and see how i do!! :) AHH i hope the maths examiners/correctors will be kind if i do do honours cause i won't be able for repeating. /; just no.

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    If you get 38% in Higher you get 70 points, if you get 100% in Ordinary you get 60 points

what!? but isn't 38% a fail!? which = 0 points?? O: O:

i think it was 35% S: and then 52% for paper 2. hmmmm yeah i think i'll be grand. just gonna go off and try a few exam questions and see how i do!! :) AHH i hope the maths examiners/correctors will be kind if i do do honours cause i won't be able for repeating. /; just no.

You'll be fine! As was said, 38% is a pass, all you need to do is bring that up 3%! :) If you've been putting in the work I'm sure it'll pay off. If you're going to do exam questions my advice would be to just focus on the As and Bs and maybe a few C parts if you like them in particular questions (I know I tend to like the algebra part Cs). Remember that even if you didn't touch a single C part in the exam you can still get a C grade. Even if you do fail paper 1, you got more than enough in paper 2 in the mocks to make up for it, if you can do that again you'll be flying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

You'll be fine! As was said, 38% is a pass, all you need to do is bring that up 3%! :) If you've been putting in the work I'm sure it'll pay off. If you're going to do exam questions my advice would be to just focus on the As and Bs and maybe a few C parts if you like them in particular questions (I know I tend to like the algebra part Cs). Remember that even if you didn't touch a single C part in the exam you can still get a C grade. Even if you do fail paper 1, you got more than enough in paper 2 in the mocks to make up for it, if you can do that again you'll be flying!

Seriously, you can get a C by only answering A's and B's? Though, hopefully that won't happen and there'll be some C's I like.

Telescoping Series seem to be the only part C's I can get full marks in every time.

what!? but isn't 38% a fail!? which = 0 points?? O: O:

In the Candidate Information booklet it says "Some candidates awarded a D3 may discover that their total mark is actually below the 40% boundary between D3 and E. This is because of a longstanding practice in place since the introduction of the grading system in 1969 to award a grade D with a tolerance of up to 2%"

thank-you!! :) actually giving me hope now!! lmao XD ah imma go offline now and see how this maths study goes. :L thanks again! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The thought has only just occurred to me that they might put the worst Paper 1 ever on tomorrow to show everyone how 'terrible' the old course was. God I hope they don't. :(

iLaura wrote: »
    Seriously, you can get a C by only answering A's and B's? Though, hopefully that won't happen and there'll be some C's I like.

Telescoping Series seem to be the only part C's I can get full marks in every time.

Well, in theory, yeah! If you got every A and B part 100% correct you'd get 60%. If you messed up a few you could still get 55%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Does anyone know a website that explains De moivre's theorem??:/

Advertisement