Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Togepi wrote: »
    The thought has only just occurred to me that they might put the worst Paper 1 ever on tomorrow to show everyone how 'terrible' the old course was. God I hope they don't. :(
    It can't be any worse than last year's paper I. Even at that, the marking scheme was fairly generous to make up for the increased difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

It can't be any worse than last year's paper I. Even at that, the marking scheme was fairly generous to make up for the increased difficulty.

That's my only consolation, last year's paper was shocking. Yeah the ones in our year doing it were told they might get 15 marks for some of the part As. Hopefully I'll be grand, got 57% in my mock but I put in a lot of work for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Got like 55 in mock, then 88 in another mock like a month later, all about what comes up on day for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I don't understand peoples' concern with last years paper? I t wasn't too hard at all. It would have been hard for those who didn't even attempt to study Q4 or 5 , which were both easy in comparison to the rest of the paper. If you did those, you wouldn't have had to even attempt the q8 with the disc or the q2. It wasn't very hard imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Yeah, lads. Even if the paper is a shocker, learn from last year. Don't let it affect the rest of your exams and if you're stumped just attempt the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nertballs

what theorems are everybody learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

I hope Mr. Newton-Raphson comes up as a b part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I don't understand peoples' concern with last years paper? I t wasn't too hard at all. It would have been hard for those who didn't even attempt to study Q4 or 5 , which were both easy in comparison to the rest of the paper. If you did those, you wouldn't have had to even attempt the q8 with the disc or the q2. It wasn't very hard imho.

Thank you. I don't see what was so hard. They encourage you to tackle a variety of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

So maybe 4 and 5 will be the hardest this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Hi, does anyone know what shapes can come up in integration for finding area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    So maybe 4 and 5 will be the hardest this year?

No. They're unpopular and they're encouraged to be completed by the SEC.

You can only be asked to rotate lines or spheres about either the x or y axis.(aswell as the standard area beneath curve/between two curves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I just had a look at this year's syllabus to see what volumes of revolution could in theory come up:

"Definite integrals with applications to areas and volumes of revolution (confined to cones and spheres)."

Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Togepi wrote: »
    The thought has only just occurred to me that they might put the worst Paper 1 ever on tomorrow to show everyone how 'terrible' the old course was. God I hope they don't. :(

Ah now I doubt it, they tried to pull that crap last year I think and it got them in a spot of bother! Got 65% in paper1 in the mocks so hopefully this will go as well if not better. Hoping for a lovely Q4 and an all round generally easy paper like 2010 and 2009.

Can anyone list the formula we neeed to know that isn't in the log books. I can't remember what b^2 + 4ac = 0, b^2 + 4ac > 0 and all those mean.

Sphere, Cone and Disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

If someone wanted to take the time and explain 2003 complex numbers, c part 2 about the 3 roots to the power of 5 I'd love you forever!

I don't get what they did. Maybe my brain is fried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Sphere, Cone and Disc.
    AND CIRCLE.

Never forget the circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Of course it's not too hard looking at it now. At the time -for those who actually had to sit the paper- it was nothing short of a nightmare.

Doing an exam paper for a bit of practice with nothing at stake and actually doing the exam itself where you have you grade at stake are very different things. You opened the paper this year in the comfort of our classroom, bedroom, study hall or library with full knowledge of how "atypical" it was in comparison to other papers. Your teacher (If they were in any way good) also probably decided it would be a good idea to cover the "odd" questions asked in 2011 in class. People who sat the paper last year on the other hand didn't have that luxury.

Unlike most people, I thought Q5-8 were fine. Q1-4 on the other hand were by many magnitudes more difficult than previous years. The panic induced by those first four questions made me focus on trying to "limit the damage" rather than trying to do my best.

All in all... if tomorrow's paper is terrible try not to panic like so many people did last year. Just keep working through it and try and get as many questions done as possible.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    AND CIRCLE.

Never forget the circle.

Is circle just a disc on the y-axis?

If someone wanted to take the time and explain 2003 complex numbers, c part 2 about the 3 roots to the power of 5 I'd love you forever!

I don't get what they did. Maybe my brain is fried.

What question? I do it through Irish though so I mightn't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Hey does anyone have a list of all the proofs for paper 1? Just want to double check.

Guys, don't stress about the discs/circles, look at page 88 of this PDF of the syllabus, they can only ask cones and spheres! http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/LC_Maths_for_examination_in_2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

What question? I do it through Irish though so I mightn't understand.

It's hard enough in English! You're either mad or brilliant.. :pac:

leaveiton wrote: »
    Guys, don't stress about the discs/circles, look at page 88 of this PDF of the syllabus, they can only ask cones and spheres! http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/LC_Maths_for_examination_in_2012.pdf

Does that syllabus not pertain to Project Maths Paper 1?

Does that syllabus not pertain to Project Maths Paper 1?

No, it's the 2012 syllabus, the stuff around that page is all the stuff that has been retained this year for our paper 1.

It's hard enough in English! You're either mad or brilliant.. :pac:

Both! :cool:

The bonus for doing it through Irish helps too. We also get a copy of the English paper. :pac:

Don't know if this cleared anything up for you...

Q8UZI.jpg

leaveiton wrote: »
    No, it's the 2012 syllabus, the stuff around that page is all the stuff that has been retained this year for our paper 1.

Oh right so, thanks :)

And guys if all else fails just remember one crucial thing: Make sure your calculator isn't in radians.. :pac:

Oh right so, thanks :)

And guys if all else fails just remember one crucial thing: Make sure your calculator isn't in radians.. :pac:

And maybe take a spare calculator!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 The Pharmacist on the Moon

Of course it's not too hard looking at it now. At the time -for those who actually had to sit the paper- it was nothing short of a nightmare.

Doing an exam paper for a bit of practice with nothing at stake and actually doing the exam itself where you have you grade at stake are very different things. You opened the paper this year in the comfort of our classroom, bedroom, study hall or library with full knowledge of how "atypical" it was in comparison to other papers. Your teacher (If they were in any way good) also probably decided it would be a good idea to cover the "odd" questions asked in 2011 in class. People who sat the paper last year on the other hand didn't have that luxury.

Unlike most people, I thought Q5-8 were fine. Q1-4 on the other hand were by many magnitudes more difficult than previous years. The panic induced by those first four questions made me focus on trying to "limit the damage" rather than trying to do my best.

All in all... if tomorrow's paper is terrible try not to panic like so many people did last year. Just keep working through it and try and get as many questions done as possible.
    I would agree with a lot of the points made in the above post, especially the advice given with regard to dealing with the panic if several of the questions appear difficult at first. I would have to say though that in my opinion it is a bit of an over exaggeration to say that questions 1-3 were by many magnitudes more difficult than previous years. Of course there were one or two tricky bits but surely that would be expected on a higher level paper.

Advertisement