Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Don't know if this cleared anything up for you...

<picture>
    Dafuq is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

As long as you attempt every single question you'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

leaveiton wrote: »
    Guys, don't stress about the discs/circles, look at page 88 of this PDF of the syllabus, they can only ask cones and spheres! http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/LC_Maths_for_examination_in_2012.pdf

No no no, deriving the formula of the area of a circle CAN come up, that was only referring to volumes! However, it's extremely unlikely considering it came up last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

finality wrote: »
    No no no, deriving the formula of the area of a circle CAN come up, that was only referring to volumes! However, it's extremely unlikely considering it came up last year.

Oh, okay, sorry then! :o Just got a wee bit excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Owen_S wrote: »
    Dafuq is that?

Erm 2003 Q3cii someone asked for.. or you can't read my godawful scribbles? :(

(sorry for the large picture btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

You can only be asked to rotate lines or spheres about either the x or y axis.(aswell as the standard area beneath curve/between two curves)

They are volumes, i was wondering about area. I think it can only be a circle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mark1724

so 38% overall is a d3 definitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Right O everyone.... Be prepared to answer questions that are as hard as last years.... there going to test you knowledge behind what there asking you.... How Do I know?

I dont.... but I'm just saying, there not going to lower the standard, there gonna keep it at last year's level.

They are volumes, i was wondering about area. I think it can only be a circle.....

Well then you're just talking about normal integration of a curve to the x and y axis then? (circle=curve)

Oh, okay, sorry then! :o Just got a wee bit excited.

Sorry, reading back over my post I sounded really angry, didn't mean to :L

• Advertisement

Sorry, reading back over my post I sounded really angry, didn't mean to :L

Oh no, you didn't sound angry at all! Don't worry! :)

Ah god I'm really scared for tomorrow :( Going to get up quite early to study I think, I don't do geography so I have the whole morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lemonz

Quick question, there seems to be two proofs of De Moivre's Theorem, one where n E Z and the second by induction. If avoiding Q 4 and 5, is there any need to learn it by induction?

Well then you're just talking about normal integration of a curve to the x and y axis then? (circle=curve)

No the circle is not the curve... that defies logic.

The integration of the curve is the point where y=0, i.e where the curve hits the x-axis... you use these x-values and sub them in to the integral of the curve equation, then you have area under the curves area.

This is unless the curve doesn't touch the x-axis in which case, a tangent/line will be given. You then let the line=tangent and find x-values, bring them down to the x-axis and then you have your x-values... if the curve is above the x-axis and there is a tangent that cuts an area so that the area of the curve is under the curve and under the line, then remember you must also find the area of the square/rectangle underneath the curve and subtract the area of the curve from it.

Hope this helps.... circles do not come into integration, At least I dont think so.

There may be a proof, i think there is to find using integration the area of a circle but i wouldn't go near that question.

lemonz wrote: »
    Quick question, there seems to be two proofs of De Moivre's Theorem, one where n E Z and the second by induction. If avoiding Q 4 and 5, is there any need to learn it by induction?

Learn the general equation proof.... it is a favourite to appear on the paper... also watch out for factor theorem, it could be the dark horse of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Theorems

I'm screwed for maths, don't know how I managed to stay higher for the leaving..
    5 hours study tomorrow morning should hopefully get me a pass

Hopefully...

Theorems wrote: »
    I'm screwed for maths, don't know how I managed to stay higher for the leaving..
    5 hours study tomorrow morning should hopefully get me a pass

Hopefully...

Be warned... this paper will be as hard as last years.

No its not, but thanks

No its not, but thanks

I've answered your question, see previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

I hate the way everything is so modular. If its not on the course, I don't want to learn it seems to be the approach with everything on the leaving cert and that saddens me. I want to learn! I like knowledge!

Look at the 2011. You're integrating y=/r^2 - x^2/ with limits 0 to r.. Which is a quarter of a circle which is a curve, no?

• Advertisement

Dapics wrote: »
    I've answered your question, see previous page.

Thanks, i thought it was just the circle, just checking :)

Look at the 2011. You're integrating y=/r^2 - x^2/ with limits 0 to r.. Which is a quarter of a circle which is a curve, no?

In that case and in that light then yes perhaps.

Good observation

I better get studying integration again!

Dapics wrote: »
    No the circle is not the curve... that defies logic.

The integration of the curve is the point where y=0, i.e where the curve hits the x-axis... you use these x-values and sub them in to the integral of the curve equation, then you have area under the curves area.

This is unless the curve doesn't touch the x-axis in which case, a tangent/line will be given. You then let the line=tangent and find x-values, bring them down to the x-axis and then you have your x-values... if the curve is above the x-axis and there is a tangent that cuts an area so that the area of the curve is under the curve and under the line, then remember you must also find the area of the square/rectangle underneath the curve and subtract the area of the curve from it.

Hope this helps.... circles do not come into integration, At least I dont think so.

There may be a proof, i think there is to find using integration the area of a circle but i wouldn't go near that question.

Circles do come into integration, have you not seen last year's paper?

Circles do come into integration, have you not seen last year's paper?

Alas the area of a disc.... ok ok...my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Don't know if this cleared anything up for you...

THANK YOU! It was actually really simple. I'm just completely out of it!

You've earned my life long love; aren't you lucky :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I've got this awful feeling that it's gonna be one of those years, just horribly difficult like.

Okay, quick complex number question!

I don't entirely understand how you get the argument when you convert a number to polar form. I know that when it's in quadrant 1, you just use the angle. And for quadrant 2, you just get the angle and take it away from pi/2.

However, I really really don't understand when it's in the 3rd or 4th quadrant! Does anyone have a quick explanation or know of anywhere that would explain it to me? :o

Okay, quick complex number question!

I don't entirely understand how you get the argument when you convert a number to polar form. I know that when it's in quadrant 1, you just use the angle. And for quadrant 2, you just get the angle and take it away from pi/2.

However, I really really don't understand when it's in the 3rd or 4th quadrant! Does anyone have a quick explanation or know of anywhere that would explain it to me? :o

My radians aren't the best, but wouldn't you take it away from pi, not pi/2?

Yes, you would, apologies! I do know that, I swear... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Finality is right

To get the argument. Get the tan of the angle as normal. Then, if it is in the third quadrant, treat it as like it was in the first quadrant, but add the angle to -pi. In the fourth quadrant, you take the angle you get and change the sign,

I hope this makes sense, I don;t do it this way but i think it may make a bit of sense.

Advertisement