Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

2008 q8 (b) (ii) anyone? Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Finality is right

To get the argument. Get the tan of the angle as normal. Then, if it is in the third quadrant, treat it as like it was in the first quadrant, but add the angle to -pi. In the fourth quadrant, you take the angle you get and change the sign,

I hope this makes sense, I don;t do it this way but i think it may make a bit of sense.

Okay, I think that makes sense. So if it was the 4th quadrant, say, 1/-root3, you would say that the angle is equal to -pi/6, but the argument would be pi/6?

What way do you do it? Sorry, I just really don't understand all this because I wasn't in school when we did it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Protip: Use your calculator :) then you'll know what angle you should be getting

3rd Quad: -(pi-a)
    4th Quad: -a
    where a is the reference angle you get when you inverse tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    2008 q8 (b) (ii) anyone? Please?

x + x/(x^2-1) = x^3/(x^2-1)
    You can work it out from there. I just assumed that this is where you didn't understand.

Protip: Use your calculator :) then you'll know what angle you should be getting

Thanks! :) I do tend to use my calculator, I'm just never sure what I should be doing when it comes to Quadrant 3 and 4!

One last thing though, sorry :o When working out the reference angle, do you take both values as positive? So in the example I described above, would I have been incorrect in saying pi/6, should it have been -pi/6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Quick question... Is it ok to use degrees for all the stuff you said above? And then if it specifies radians can you just convert your answer from degrees to radians?

Yeah, degrees are sound for everything but integration.

Yeah you do, because they are distances on the graph so they can't be negative.

But what I meant with the calculator is there is a POL button which will give you your r value and the correct angle when you punch in your x and y coordinates.

Yeah you do, because they are distances on the graph so they can't be negative.

But what I meant with the calculator is there is a POL button which will give you your r value and the correct angle when you punch in your x and y coordinates.

A what, sorry? :o Oh god I feel so stupid in this thread! I think I can do it by just finding the angle though, thanks so much for the explanation of that! Knowing me though I'll probably still manage to feck it up if it comes up tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Differentiation question here for you guys:

What does it mean if a graph has only one local turning point? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

Don't know if this cleared anything up for you...

Q8UZI.jpg

You are a life saver! :D

It gives you the polar form of coordinates. For Casio press [SHIFT] [+] [x coordinate] [SHIFT] [ ) ] [y coordinate] [=]

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

leaveiton wrote: »
    Okay, I think that makes sense. So if it was the 4th quadrant, say, 1/-root3, you would say that the angle is equal to -pi/6, but the argument would be pi/6?

What way do you do it? Sorry, I just really don't understand all this because I wasn't in school when we did it!

I dont really get what other people are saying, i dont really get.like radians.. :P but when its in the 3rd, you add the reference angle to 180degrees, and in the 4th, you take the reference angle from 360 degree. :)

Differentiation question here for you guys:

What does it mean if a graph has only one local turning point? :D

Emm.. it only has 2 roots.. i think :S

Whats the function your differentiating?

Mista wrote: »
    I dont really get what other people are saying, i dont really get.like radians.. :P but when its in the 3rd, you add the reference angle to 180degrees, and in the 4th, you take the reference angle from 360 degree. :)

But surely these two things contradict each other? D: I'm really, really sorry to keep asking these questions, I feel like such a fool!

Noooo! What he is saying is for trig! This is argand diagrams and complex numbers...

leaveiton wrote: »
    But surely these two things contradict each other? D: I'm really, really sorry to keep asking these questions, I feel like such a fool!

Haha, no worries :P

The reference angle is less than 90degrees, so the angle in the 3rd must be less than 270degrees.. and the angle in the 4th is between 270 and 360 :)

I mightened be explaining this very well.. :/

Haha, no worries :P

The reference angle is less than 90degrees, so the angle in the 3rd must be less than 270degrees.. and the angle in the 4th is between 270 and 360 :)

I mightened be explaining this very well.. :/

This is wrong!

This is wrong!

Crap, sorry... is he not on about converting to polar form, no?

• Advertisement

Emm.. it only has 2 roots.. i think :S

Whats the function your differentiating?

Aghhh our differentiation graphs will never have 2 roots. It's either 3 real distinct, 3 real 2 equal or 1 root.

Reading this hurts my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I'm gonna go ahead and clear this up.
    1)Work out angle using tan (opp over adj)
    2)1st quadrant leave it as it is.
    2nd quadrant, take found angle from pi.
    3rd qadrant, add found angle to pi.
    4th quadrant, take angle from 2 pi.

Bet you anything this doesn't even come up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

Just read through this thread and I am emotionally breaking down here. I have spent all night spending geography and have an hour and a half tomorrow between tests to try and pass this test. I've never been so worried about a test in my life :O You all sound like you know everything. I can't believe I went from easy A in JC to this :P

ei.sderob wrote: »

THIS IS CORRECT.
    USE THIS ONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KHJ

Should I leave out sequences and series or integration? Which one is harder? :confused:

Yes...use that one:P

I've completely left out sequences and series. Seemed more logical to have 7 questions down well rather than 8 sorta dodgy.

• Advertisement

ei.sderob wrote: »

Thank you so much, looking at some worked examples now and I finally understand :)

Advertisement