Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Are yous trying to sabotage people or what? It's an argand diagram so it's measured from -180 to 180 (-pi to pi)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

AGH, to do or not, that is the question whether it is noblier in the mind to suffer through maths paper one or to take arms against pass and by doing end it.
    Still don't know what to do, failed my pres with a solid 38% but all of 12% got when I did paper one. Dominating project though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

This thread is doing more harm than good with all the confusion. Open a book guys! It's there.

http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/~klhender/espressomaths/mathcentre/Maths_1st_Aid_Kit/7_4.pdf

I give up lads but if you do as they say you'll get **** all marks in your question. They are thinking of unit circles in trig which is completely different SIGH test a few 3rd and 4th quad coordinates with your calculator THEY WILL BE NEGATIVE VALUES

With Complex numbers you always work from pi. Don't know where this whole 2pi craic is coming from. Positive sense of the x axis and twist anti clock wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Are yous trying to sabotage people or what? It's an argand diagram so it's measured from -180 to 180 (-pi to pi)

Nah, works just as well using the unit circle. It allows you to keep the angles positive.

ei.sderob wrote: »
    Nah, works just as well using the unit circle. It allows you to keep the angles positive.

Good luck tomorrow mate

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

ei.sderob wrote: »

Yea, I've always used unit circle and it gives the right answer every time..

Good luck tomorrow mate

Thanks BUD:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

I'm lost.

• Advertisement

Probably because they've been 1st or 2nd Quadrant.. read the link I posted above.

No probably because it's just a right way of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2006/LC003ALPO00EV.pdf Marking scheme from 2006. Q3 c(i). Seems to be using the method described above of adding the angle on to pi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

To whom it may concern, you will NOT lose any marks if you use the positive angle in the 4th quadrant rather than -a(reference angle).

Edit: Nor in the 3rd quadrant.

Seeee....if people who had an opinion actually KNEW what they were talking about then there'd be a lot less confusion right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

This is why I never understood the whole thing in the first place! But thank you, ei.sderob, you've made everything clear!

ZYbNU.jpg

No worries man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

To clear things up a bit for everybody;

using the angle θ (theta) such that:

-180° (pi) < θ ≤ 180° (pi)

is just dominant convention. It is not rigid and you will get full marks if you use the full angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

reznov wrote: »
    With Complex numbers you always work from pi. Don't know where this whole 2pi craic is coming from. Positive sense of the x axis and twist anti clock wise.

Ok here's my explanation.

There are a few notable circumstances in which you either must/should add a pi to an angle/radian.

The most notable is seen in trigonometry where graphs of tan, sin and cos are drawn up. In one of these such graphs the number in front of the equation is the range and the number in front of the x behind the sin/cos/tan is the frequency. The range is basically how high the graph goes, the range is how many up's and down's the curve does until it passes 180 degrees. 180 degrees is one pi, 360 is 2 pi, 540 is 3 pi and so on.

It is these graphs which will most likely come up in the exams wherein as stated before you ought/must add a pi.

In Complex numbers i think there are questions in which you have to find a range of values within a certain degree/radian range,most notably and prominently in de moivre's theorem, thats what i think ye all mean.

There are other circumstances but i am growing weary, hope this helped... im off to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Dapics wrote: »

There are a few notable circumstances in which you either must/should add a pi to an angle/radian.

The most notable is seen in trigonometry where graphs of tan, sin and cos are drawn up. In one of these such graphs the number in front of the equation is the range and the number in front of the x behind the sin/cos/tan is the frequency. The range is basically how high the graph goes, the range is how many up's and down's the curve does until it passes 180 degrees. 180 degrees is one pi, 360 is 2 pi, 540 is 3 pi and so on.

It is these graphs which will most likely come up in the exams wherein as stated before you ought/must add a pi.

In Complex numbers i think there are questions in which you have to find a range of values within a certain degree/radian range,most notably and prominently in de moivre's theorem, thats what i think ye all mean.

There are other circumstances but i am growing weary, hope this helped... im off to sleep.

That's kind of moving towards paper 2 material though.

Dapics wrote: »

The upper half of your answer = Paper 2, trig.
    Lower = Paper 1, complex numbers (what you need today)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

This will sound like a stupid question but do you know that identity which means 'it holds true for all values of r', I.e. You can sub in any value for r, how do you know when to use that? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

hoping to get 7 questions done, how long should i spent on each?

I've got no clue why people still insist on going on about De Moivre's and finding the arguement. Using the unit circle method works for both trig and complex numbers. People who are trying to dispute that clearly only learned off a certain method and don't understand the actual concept. They then try to prove other peoples correct opinions as incorrect in an effort to reassure themselves over their method or ability at maths in general. Give it a rest like. The people who were originally confused got a correct, easier, way of finding the arguement. There's no point to cause anymore confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

waiting4 wrote: »

2:30/7 = 21 minutes

waiting4 wrote: »

About 18-19 minutes on each if you're
    doing 7. That gives you a significant amount of time at the end if you need to look back over stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

4 hours left.. i can hear my soul gently weep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 needirishhelp

What equipment do we need for Paper 1 HL? Is it just a calculator and pens or do we need set squares and a compass aswell?

Advertisement