Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Hey,

Just asking, for the differentiation proofs for the product and quotient rules, is the method at the back of the green concise ok if it asks from first principles?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

What equipment do we need for Paper 1 HL? Is it just a calculator and pens or do we need set squares and a compass aswell?

Bring a ruler, pencil and rubber as well, we might have to draw a graph.

And ALWAYS draw graphs on graph paper, never in the answer booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Hey,

Just asking, for the differentiation proofs for the product and quotient rules, is the method at the back of the green concise ok if it asks from first principles?

Yes, i think so because it is first principles, f(x), f(x+h)...etc

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    This will sound like a stupid question but do you know that identity which means 'it holds true for all values of r', I.e. You can sub in any value for r, how do you know when to use that? :S

This is a question like:

(3x-2) (x+5) = 3x^2 + px + q: for all x, find p and q.

Just multiply out the brackets:

3x^2 + 13x - 10 = 3x^2 + px + q

Therefore, p = 13 and q = -10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Always prove with first principles unless the induction proof of differentiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

reznov wrote: »
    Always prove with first principles unless the induction proof of differentiation.

There are some alternate proofs of the Product and Quotient rules, using implicit differentiation and logarithmic differention, which are both valid and in my opinion easier to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I wish I had never come here I understood complex arguments perfectly now I'm confused. I HATE YOU ALL .:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

There are some alternate proofs of the Product and Quotient rules, using implicit differentiation and logarithmic differention, which are both valid and in my opinion easier to understand.

Yup they are the ones in the concise book, was just wondering were they alright to use, thanks!

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I wish I had never come here I understood complex arguments perfectly now I'm confused. I HATE YOU ALL .:mad:

Just forget everything that was said and stick to your own way of doing it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Mista wrote: »
    Just forget everything that was said and stick to your own way of doing it :P

I checked the book. My way still works, all is well with the world! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

What's the protocol with sketch graphs? Do you have to label the axes/use graph paper, or do they just want the general shape of the graph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

finality wrote: »
    What's the protocol with sketch graphs? Do you have to label the axes/use graph paper, or do they just want the general shape of the graph?

Do everything possible to make sure you get your marks.

reznov wrote: »

But the question states by first principle? Do you not have to do it by first principles?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Is the code dmtunb not working for anyone else on e-xamit? I don't know where they get u+1 from in integration substitution of 2008 Q8 bii

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

earwax_man wrote: »
    Is the code dmtunb not working for anyone else on e-xamit? I don't know where they get u+1 from in integration substitution of 2008 Q8 bii

I don't think anything to do with substitution can come up on the integration Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

They're using the u=x^2 - 1 and rearranging to get x^2=u + 1

Then as du=2xdx then du(u+1)=2x.x^2 which gives you the top line. Sorry on my phone do I can't write it out.

However I'd say just use the divide in method they also give.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    But the question states by first principle? Do you not have to do it by first principles?

That was in 2000. After a recent pronouncement, according to my maths teacher, Mr. Roantree, The alternate methods are acceptable. I bloody hope he's right anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

That was in 2000. After a recent pronouncement, according to my maths teacher, Mr. Roantree, The alternate methods are acceptable. I bloody hope he's right anyway!

Haha I have him too. He's a god and I trust him but I still learnt the first principle just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

1995 q2 (very last bit with p>q>k/root 3)...honestly like...DAFUQ?

earwax_man wrote: »

U = x^2 -1
    Then manipulate the formula so

x^2= u + 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

I'd keep an eye out for the rate of change in differentiation, since that stuff is no longer on paper 2 and still on the syllabus could be put in to throw a lot of people off

RedTexan wrote: »
    I'd keep an eye out for the rate of change in differentiation, since that stuff is no longer on paper 2 and still on the syllabus could be put in to throw a lot of people off

That's what I thought too! and max min problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I sort of hope the paper is a bit proof-heavy or has a proof as a part c or something. I'm fine with all of them, so it's easy marks :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Pepperr wrote: »
    I don't think anything to do with substitution can come up on the integration Q.

This is incorrect. That's only in the pilot schools and in applied maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

leaveiton wrote: »
    I sort of hope the paper is a bit proof-heavy or has a proof as a part c or something. I'm fine with all of them, so it's easy marks :P

What do you mean proofs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

What do you mean proofs?

Factor theorem, De Moivre's, first principles, product rule, quotient rule, sum rule, differential rule, those kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

They're using the u=x^2 - 1 and rearranging to get x^2=u + 1

Then as du=2xdx then du(u+1)=2x.x^2 which gives you the top line. Sorry on my phone do I can't write it out.

However I'd say just use the divide in method they also give.

Thanks, man! :)

leaveiton wrote: »
    Factor theorem, De Moivre's, first principles, product rule, quotient rule, sum rule, differential rule, those kind of things.

Didn't the factor theorom come up last year? Its hardly a likely contender if so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cfitz94

ok. so what do u do if u fail maths in ur leaving cert??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Very do-able paper I thought.

Thank you so much Mr. Newton-Raphson

I'd say I have around 30% going into P.2

Advertisement