Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Higher Level Maths Paper 1 2012 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Just a question

I got the differentiation wrong on 7 (b) (i)

Does that mean I get no marks for part (ii)

Depends what way they mark it.If its marked hard you might only get attempt marks but if its marked easier then they'll carry your answer down to part ii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Wow. what a paper.

almost 100% I got 2,4,5,7 out perfectly but some of the c part ii's were very hard. My friend was in tears, and he's a dude.

Overall. I'm happy. annoyed with 3 c ii as just as i left i realised how to do it.

Got them all done with 45 mins left.

DON'T WORRY EVERYONE. PAPER TWO WILL BE MADE SIMPLE TO MAKE UP FOR IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

No... it was asking to show that f(x) is always increasing, which means you had to show that f'(x) (i.e the slope) could only ever be positive. I think that's it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 35 The Pharmacist on the Moon

is there anywhere I can find the paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Thought it was atrocious at first but once I go into it was grand I think. Q4 and Q5 lovely.. Got Q2 in the end.. Q6 and Q7 were all ok apart from the cii in both.. Q8 c could be right... What did yis say for the Newton raph I said it would alternate between .5 and .75 bu I think that wrong..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Wow. what a paper.

almost 100% I got 2,4,5,7 out perfectly but some of the c part ii's were very hard. My friend was in tears, and he's a dude.

Overall. I'm happy. annoyed with 3 c ii as just as i left i realised how to do it.

Please do tell how you do that? Didn't have a notion.. started bringing in coordinate geometry :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

That was unpleasant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

I said it would alternate between .5 and .75 bu I think that wrong..

I also said that. I'm fairly sure that's correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I could only do Q2, I thought I had everything studied but it all went horribly wrong. I suppose anything is better than the 24 marks I got in the mocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Wkds wrote: »
    How did you do 8(c)?

Got f(a) and subbed that in to get the point, got the slope of the tangent with slope formula, got slope by differentiating, put them equal, got a in terms of k.

Then part 2 was fairly straightforward, just got the equations of the two tangents, got the points of intersection with the curve, and found the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MorpheusDream

I thought it was a tough paper, I also couldn't remember how to differentiate root x from first principles, feeling like a complete twat, threw away the easy marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Of all the 8(c)'s I've ever seen that was by far the worst. Oh god. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Yeah, I just said when you fill in 0.5 you get 0.75, and vice versa... was a pretty nice question I have to say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

is there anywhere I can find the paper?
    It'll be released here in a few minutes i'd imagine. The exam papers are usually up three hours or so from the end of an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Yep I got that as well... was worried I got it wrong so I did it again with the same results

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Right, due to the fact that I'm getting an insane number of pms (10+ in the last 5 minutes) it will be so much easier to post them here. They will not appear on your screen and you will have to click a link to view/download them, so no one is forcing to to view them. You do so at your own discretion.

Please bear in mind that the paper is not online yet, (think it's out at 5.30), I actually have to do the entire paper, and then scan and upload the solutions, so expect full solutions at 8.00pm at the latest.

I will read all the other pms I get, however I wont reply to the ones requesting the solutions. However, if you think your solutions to a questions is equally as valid as mine, or if you're unsure or whatever, feel free to pm and ask. :)

**Disclaimer: I'm not a maths teacher or in any way involved in the marking. I'm simply going into 3rd year maths at Trinity College, in my LC got A2 in maths and physics and A1 in Applied maths. There may possibly be mistakes in my solutions. I'm not a machine. If you spot something, please say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Mista wrote: »
    ChemHickey wrote: »
    Wow. what a paper.

Please do tell how you do that? Didn't have a notion.. started bringing in coordinate geometry :/

I was so annoyed when i left. i did it by translation and by coord geometry but the easy way is

The triangle containing the 3 points would have an area of zero since they're colinear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Right, due to the fact that I'm getting an insane number of pms (10+ in the last 5 minutes) it will be so much easier to post them here. They will not appear on your screen and you will have to click a link to view/download them, so no one is forcing to to view them. You do so at your own discretion.

Please bear in mind that the paper is not online yet, (think it's out at 5.30), I actually have to do the entire paper, and then scan and upload the solutions, so expect full solutions at 8.00pm at the latest.

I will read all the other pms I get, however I wont reply to the ones requesting the solutions. However, if you think your solutions to a questions is equally as valid as mine, or if you're unsure or whatever, feel free to pm and ask. :)

**Disclaimer: I'm not a maths teacher or in any way involved in the marking. I'm simply going into 3rd year maths at Trinity College, in my LC got A2 in maths and physics and A1 in Applied maths. There may possibly be mistakes in my solutions. I'm not a machine. If you spot something, please say so.

Fair play to you

finality wrote: »
    Got f(a) and subbed that in to get the point, got the slope of the tangent with slope formula, got slope by differentiating, put them equal, got a in terms of k.

Then part 2 was fairly straightforward, just got the equations of the two tangents, got the points of intersection with the curve, and found the area.

I also did this but didn't need to find intersection as that's where the tangent was no?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ihatetheleavin

What did you all get for question 8 C Part (ii) i got 2 Root k cubed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I also did this but didn't need to find intersection as that's where the tangent was no?

Haha I suppose so, didn't think of that under pressure. oh well :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

what did we all get for 3b (ii) for values of x and y?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

anyone get "ROOT K" as a in terms of K for 8c (i) ?

Also, for Q3 (i) DMT did people get very similar two values for Z?? Essentially the other but the real and imaginary coeffeciant switched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

In the interim... anyone who wants to check out an answer in Maths can give WolframAlpha a try.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

I did out the solutions to last years paper and posted them on boards. I'll be doing the same this year so expect all solutions before 8pm.

What question would you like uploaded first?
    You legend! The only questions I didn't get out were 1.c.ii, 2.c.iii,3.c.ii,6.c.ii,and 8.c. If you could post them I'd be really grateful! :)

and I used the strip method with the tangent on (a,f(a)) with limits 0 to a and the same and added to with the other tangent with -a to 0 and then subbed in value for a from part i.. There was a much simpler method but I only saw it after :( think my final answer was 16krootk or something :l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

WestIRL wrote: »

Also, for Q3 (i) DMT did people get very similar two values for Z?? Essentially the other but the real and imaginary coeffeciant switched?

I got both of those things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Dazaq

i got de exact same as u in all of above,wat did ye get for c (ii)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thought it was a fair paper really. I got out nearly all the A and B parts, and got out the Newton-Raphson part C fully with a couple of others where I was able to get out the first part or two. I was delighted when I saw an area question for Integration, but once I actually looked at the question I wasn't as happy :o The whole integration question for me was a write-off tbh, I'd be lucky to get 15 marks out of it. So I ended up going back and chancing sequences and series which I have a very slight knowledge of.

Overall, I definitely passed and may have even gotten a C, which is all I want. Hopefully I can bring it up a little in paper 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

I got the square root of k for 8(c)(i).
    Cant remember 3(i)

Advertisement