Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 1...Before/After**

• 07-06-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

So thought I'd make it, to keep everything in the one place..

Everyone ready for it?

Really nervous I won't do as good as I want, I want to get high in this. :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Question 4 then Question 6,7,8 a bitta question 2 and finish it off with the lovely question 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I think I'm actually fairly okay on this...have geography before it so I'm studying for that and will look over maths in the time between the exams:p
    I dropped down from higher two months ago so this is heaven for me...
    I wish everyone luck tomorrow though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I'll try answer every question apart from Sequences & Series.. Hopefully the questions are manageable especially the Part C's :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

Cant wait for this after the torture my hand experienced in english. Should be handy enough going to do Q 1,2,3,4,5 and 7.

smithy77 wrote: »
    I'll try answer every question apart from Sequences & Series.. Hopefully the questions are manageable especially the Part C's :p

Love how everyone hates sequences & series when it's my favorite question...and then algebra and then differentiation and functions...never liked complex numbers for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Gonna do a crap load of exam paper questions tonight, hope it'll be alright

Schonie wrote: »
    Love how everyone hates sequences & series when it's my favorite question...and then algebra and then differentiation and functions...never liked complex numbers for some reason

We didn't do sequences & series in class:p .. Complex numbers isn't too bad just knowing the rules with complex conjugates and modulus's etc and that's about it.

We didn't do sequences & series in class:p .. Complex numbers isn't too bad just knowing the rules with complex conjugates and modulus's etc and that's about it.

Alright:) It's actually a very nice question...there are only two people, including me in my class doing it...it's basically based on formulas that are in the log tables...
    I know that they are not bad but I think I still have a major fear of them after the higher level stuff lol:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I think sequences and series is the easiest question on the paper 1 :)
    I'm worried I'll mess up in the fuctions and differentiation thought :/ The last C part can be quite tricky.

When we draw a graph, are we ment to draw it by hand or with a rular??

Edit: I don't mean the x and y axis, I mean connecting the plots.

Raeone wrote: »
    I think sequences and series is the easiest question on the paper 1 :)
    I'm worried I'll mess up in the fuctions and differentiation thought :/ The last C part can be quite tricky.

When we draw a graph, are we ment to draw it by hand or with a rular??

Edit: I don't mean the x and y axis, I mean connecting the plots.

It depends on whether its a curve or straight line I should think:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im fairly screwed. Any tips on what to study for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Im fairly screwed. Any tips on what to study for this?

Well just pick the questions you want to do cuz theyre pretty much the same year after year....like am doin 1,2,3,4,6,7.....so just keep doing them questions from previous years and youll be grand :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

hmm looking at those question 5's, haven't done them in class but they look alright, any rules I should look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't have time to practice maths with geography I might practice sequences and series my grinds person only taught me it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

Got a C in the mocks with no study so I reckon I should do OK, as I am studying this time!

I'd like to get a B, but since I'm not counting it for points, I'll be happy with a pass :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Remember at the start of 5th year being convinced you'd get a A just because it's pass? :pac:

Don't need it for points but I don't want to do embarrassingly badly either

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Going to try and avoid Question 5 myself hate them so much :mad:
    looking for around a B2 in maths absolutely dreading paper 2 though praying they will be easy papers though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

How much of a leap are people trying to make from the mocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Happy so long as I get a pass - don't need to count the points. I'm ****e at maths though lol.

Got a C3 in the mocks and need a C3 again:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

so i've been doing ordinary maths for a few months now but i don't have a teacher so could someone tell me if there's an order for the questions, like in higher level you know qs 6,7,8 are differentiation/integration etc?
    and also what are the hardest parts of the paper i should concentrate on?

Q.1 = Arithmetic
    Q.2 = Algebra
    Q.3 = Algebra
    Q.4 = Complex Numbers
    Q.5 = Sequence & Series
    Q.6 = Functions & Differentiation
    Q.7 = Differentiation
    Q.8 = Functions & Differentiation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

Q.1 = Arithmetic
    Q.2 = Algebra
    Q.3 = Algebra
    Q.4 = Complex Numbers
    Q.5 = Sequence & Series
    Q.6 = Functions & Differentiation
    Q.7 = Differentiation
    Q.8 = Functions & Differentiation

thank you :D just another quick question, is diff the same as higher? and what are functions? thanks a mill, the book for this year was out of print by the time i dropped so i only have an old one and i don't know what i can leave out cos of project maths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Not worried. Haven't done much study .. at all. But then again there's not much you can do. After Geography gonna do a few questions in school. Be grand. :)

bazinga_ wrote: »
    thank you :D just another quick question, is diff the same as higher? and what are functions? thanks a mill, the book for this year was out of print by the time i dropped so i only have an old one and i don't know what i can leave out cos of project maths!

I'm not sure about the differentiation. But functions is something like:

f(x) = x(cubed) - 3x + 1
    Find f(2)

Sub 2 in for X:

(2)cubed - 3(2) + 1 = 8 - 6 + 1 = 3, Co-ordinates = (2,3)

And they might ask you to draw a graph after finding the co-ordinates by using that method.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I'm absolutely useless at Maths, and I failed the Mock as well. Not looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I failed the pre, despite Maths being my best result in my Christmas tests..oddly.

Been getting grinds ever since though, so hopefully it goes well enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

Is anybody here a pilot school?
    I'm doing paper 1 ordinary project maths tomorrow and I am screwed..
    I haven't had a teacher all year & I didn't do the mocks due to a death in the family so I honestly don't know what to expect!!
    Someone help? :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

If this wasn't on the same day as Geography I could get an A1. My school does all the questions except Q.5. Need to practice my part c's at lunch tomorrow! Have all papers done back to 2008 in the last few weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Is anybody here a pilot school?
    I'm doing paper 1 ordinary project maths tomorrow and I am screwed..
    I haven't had a teacher all year & I didn't do the mocks due to a death in the family so I honestly don't know what to expect!!
    Someone help? :(:(:(

I am too :(

I'm completely screwed for tomorrow, the teacher I had was awful, she hardly showed up to class in 5th year so we all missed out on a lot.

It's going to be awful..

Advertisement