Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 1...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

Naomi00 wrote: »
    I am too :(

I'm completely screwed for tomorrow, the teacher I had was awful, she hardly showed up to class in 5th year so we all missed out on a lot.

It's going to be awful..

Thank God Im not alone! I hate how we don't get a choice in our questions or anything, really leaves it limited :/ Going to cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Carrick_10

Hey I was just wondering I got 25% ordinary level maths in the mocks is there much of a chance of me passing the real thing now? Im really **** at maths but I have slightly improved since the mocks, but I don't know I have this gut feeling that im going to fail and I only need a pass in it cause i'm not counting it for points:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Questions 6 & 8 can GO FUPP THEMSELVES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

donvito99 wrote: »
    Questions 6 & 8 can GO FUPP THEMSELVES

Same never even bothered learning them ones

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

54 in the mocks, which wasn't great considering I thought the paper was easy.. Need a c3 minimum, hopefully I get it:)

• Advertisement

Cant wait for this after the torture my hand experienced in english. Should be handy enough going to do Q 1,2,3,4,5 and 7.

Im the exact same as ya haha

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

It's probably the same every single year for the last 10 years.

Only thing that will change really are the themes of the (c) questions.

I'm kindof looking forward to seeing what comes up.

I'll be doing Q. 1,2,3,4,6,7,8 regardless of difficulty. [:

54 in the mocks, which wasn't great considering I thought the paper was easy.. Need a c3 minimum, hopefully I get it:)

You'll get it don't worry.

The part (a) questions are usually 15 marks! Which is insanely easy to get.
    That's at least 30% for you.
    The difficult questions (c) usually only carry 5 or 10 marks so don't get bogged down or frustrated with them.

Take your time. You will definitely get what you're looking for. :}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Does everyone else still do the old syllabus for paper 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

If differentiation from first principles comes up and you just just differentiate it normally in your head and write down the answer would you still get like a mark? I will never understand this concept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Namlub wrote: »
    If differentiation from first principles comes up and you just just differentiate it normally in your head and write down the answer would you still get like a mark? I will never understand this concept

I'm not sure. Its not too bad:

Question) f(x) = 3x(squared) + 4 with first principles.

1) sub (x+h) in for x and work it out.. 3(x+h)squared + 4 = 3x(squared) + 6xh + 3h(squared) + 4 ( (x+h)(x+h) = x(squared) + 2xh = h(squared) )
    2) (x+h) - f(x).. 3x(squared) + 6xh + 3h(squared) + 4 - 3x(squared) - 4
    3) Divide by h... 6x + 3h
    4) Put h=0.. 6x + 3(0)

Answer = 6x

Not great example but if it helps then how bad:p

Namlub wrote: »

Really quickly go watch Khan academy's introduction to calculus and his differentiation videos.

If you can understand it; then you can do it easy! (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ohh thanks, just wrote that it there and it makes sense! The notes I was using had all triangles or something? If I manage to use this properly tomorrow I owe you one :p
    Edit: Thanks AnOn too :)

Yeah I saw the triangle method before and it makes no sense, the f(x+h) method is easier in my opinion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The triangle and the h are the same thing. And no you get no attempt for differentiating without first principles. And a bit of advice-go to bed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

bitta calculus be graaand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Anybody give me a quick hand with this one?

2011; Paper 1; Q.2 (c)

Let f(x) = x(cubed)-2(x)(squared)+c(x)+d.

(i) Given that f(0)=6, find the value of d.
    (ii) Given that f(3)=0, find the value of c.
    (iii) Hence, solve the equation f(x) = 0.

I got that d = 6 and c = -5 but part (iii) has me stumped. Any ideas? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 xxkathrynbxx

If u get all part a's right and a few b parts will u pass!?? Extremely worried about it!! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Zomg Okay wrote: »

2011; Paper 1; Q.2 (c)

I got that d = 6 and c = -5 but part (iii) has me stumped. Any ideas? :confused:
    Sub in c and d into the original equation first.
    Then you solve the equation by long division because you're given f(3)=0 so therefore x-3=0
    Then divide x(cubed)-2x(squared) - 5x + 6 by x -3 and there's your answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

If u get all part a's right and a few b parts will u pass!?? Extremely worried about it!! :/

There's a lot of emphasis on "getting them right" when in truth, most of the marks go for the process. Go into the exam and do the questions you know, and if you don't know something, write down what you think might be the right method. If you do that, there's not a big chance of you failing.

You'll be grand. :)

• Advertisement

Zomg Okay wrote: »

2011; Paper 1; Q.2 (c)

Okay, to get all the roots of the equation, you need to find what the x variable is when f(x) or y = 0.

You already have y = 0 when x = 3 ; [f(3) = 0]
    So, now you can say that x = 3, but to make it into a factor of the equation when f(x) = 0 , you must make it so x-3=0

(x-3) is your first factor; so divide that through long division into your first main equation.

If you have difficulties with the division, consult your book.

You'll get x^2 + x - 2 = 0
    So that means that when you multiply that by (x-3) you will get your first equation.
    But you need to again factorise x^2 + x - 2 = 0 to get your other roots to solve the equation fully.

Use the -b formula or work it out in your head. I recommend using the -b because it's easier to work on a step-by-step basis and the answer will always be definite.

When I did the -b formula method, I found that x = 1, or x = -2; and we were already aware that x = 3 from the function of f(3)=0.

I wish you all the best in your exam. Although you may not even read this before sitting it.

Goodluck! :)))

In truth, the (c) questions usually only hold 10 or 15 marks.

So technically speaking, if you were to get all your (a)/(b) questions right and failed your (c) questions. You'd still manage at least 70%.

Just make sure you attempt everything. Even writing down relevant formulae and such. Make it look like you tried your hardest and the examiner will try their hardest to give you marks.

Goodluck!
    smithy77 wrote: »
    Yeah I saw the triangle method before and it makes no sense, the f(x+h) method is easier in my opinion

The delta-x method and the h method are exactly the same.

The difference is what they name change in x. One names it delta-x; the other names it h.
    May be easier because there's less letters? :3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I know papeer two isn't going to go my way, so I'm hoping to do good in this paper so it will even out. I want a b3.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 meesh140

An hour to study maths...
    All week was taken up by geography and English
    And now iv an hour to study this
    So WHY AM I ON BOARDS

An0n wrote: »
    The delta-x method and the h method are exactly the same.

The difference is what they name change in x. One names it delta-x; the other names it h.
    May be easier because there's less letters? :3

Well i do hate letters/algebra:D.. Well i hate maths in general :p

Good luck to everyone in maths paper 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Good luck everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

is implicit differentiation on OL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

See ye on the other side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I really hope this goes well I failed it last year. I haven't had time to go over any maths with geography. I know I can do complex numbers the only question I'm comfortable with and differentiation apart from the c part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

I actually haven't done a bit of study for this exam. I dropped from higher a few months ago and this paper is completely foreign to me, but questions aren't that difficult. I hope. @___@

Advertisement