Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Ordinary Level Maths Paper 1...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I have never had a natural ability with maths, haven't been too awful with it either. Completely shocked with how easy the paper was!! Couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't even give up on a question which is a first for me. Very happy but dreading paper 2 as I'm sure it'll be deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

if anyone e mails me the paper I will have a look at it and let you all know what a teacher thinks of it lilyelimum@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

I need to get next or near 100% in paper 2 or I don't get into college, all of my courses require a B and I left out 4 c parts in that paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

Thought that paper was so handy, A's were beautiful, B's werent to bad and C's were tricky, really happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Just did the paper 1 project maths paper.. was really weird!
    Most questions hadn't been covered on the course & it was just.. ugh, don't think I failed but I'm depending on attempt marks!

Yeah I did that too.

It was completely different to anything in the sample & mock paper. Most of it was stuff we didn't cover in class or wasn't in the book.
    They'll probably mark everyone higher than they should just so they can say the project maths is great when it's actually awful. Everyone in my year, higher and ordinary, was really mad about it & most people didn't answer a lot of the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Absolutely ridiculous paper. I asked the examiner did I use the present or previous in Q1 and she told me to take them away from eachother and it looked right then. I thought the differentiation was fine but what the **** is with the little "ms-1" on C) ii) and iii)?

I really need to do well on the project maths now, that was a horrible paper bar Q1 and 7.

That's BS. How can they ask a question like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Absolutely ridiculous paper. I asked the examiner did I use the present or previous in Q1 and she told me to take them away from eachother and it looked right then. I thought the differentiation was fine but what the **** is with the little "ms-1" on C) ii) and iii)?

I really need to do well on the project maths now, that was a horrible paper bar Q1 and 7.

m/s-1 is the unit for seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

what answer did people get for question 7 c iii ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Schonie wrote: »
    I think it was metres per second...maybe?

Yeah thats what I just went for too, hopefully it doesn't matter too much.
    biohaiid wrote: »
    Deceleration. Well I think anyways .. :L
    it didnt make too much of a difference anyways.

First I've ever seen of it today but thank you!
    Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    The examiner actually helped you? :eek:
    Should be reported

Really? It wasn't like she gave me the answer or anything, if the question wasn't worded so arseways, noone would have had a problem with it!
    Hagz wrote: »
    That's BS. How can they ask a question like that?

..I've no idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I definitely failed that paper badly :(
    I have no idea I don't think I did anything right apart from 2a , 3b , 4b/c , 7a,b . The rest I messed up . I even got stuck on that argand diagram!!. My mock paper was better even though I failed by 2% I know where I went wrong. I have to rely on paper 2 and I've barely touched the paper.
    I feel like a retard now.. In question 1 (a)... I added both the previous and current units together and then calculated the cost of it all... Got like 10,000euro and I was there like WTF is going on... Ahh well hopefully not be so bad :confused: .. Paper 2 is my best paper though, got 59 in it in Pre's and only 41 on Paper 1...

I did the same thing then I got confused I wanted to leave , I felt like all my effort on maths went to waste. I was so upset with the rest of the paper. Thinking fml I can't fail again!. Such a disaster although my last was even more of a disaster. I tried so many questions and kept getting stuck. Project maths has to save me now . I've decided I don't care whether I get a c3 anymore I just want to pass I'll happily take a level 7 course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I have never had a natural ability with maths, haven't been too awful with it either. Completely shocked with how easy the paper was!! Couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't even give up on a question which is a first for me. Very happy but dreading paper 2 as I'm sure it'll be deadly!

:(

I'm in a pilot project maths school and we were screwed over with that paper. Wish we had the option of doing the normal paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

As in, I couldn't part A of the complex numbers question. And I've been through every arithmetic question since 1999, never had any problem but I did not get that gas thing. Other parts were fine then though, weird paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

padocon wrote: »
    Thats 12 minutes per question and highly unlightly, you must have shown little or no workings.

Actually no, within the hour i mean around the hour mark, so maybe 1 hour and a bit over...and once i sat down i kept writing non stop and im 100% sure i got everything perfect...i find maths extremely easy....and i got an a1 in the mocks also but i spent more time on the exam there...but i find this much easier compared to the mocks...and especially questions 4 and 7 where i pretty much flew through them

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

It wasn't too bad at all:) .. Answered Q.1,2,3,4,6,7,8. I did struggle with Q.6(b) and Q.8(c) and another part of some question but apart from that it was all good:D

HowAreWe wrote: »

383 metres, no idea if that's right though

HowAreWe wrote: »

i can quite remember but i think i go something around 70something and a half metres

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

i can quite remember but i think i go something around 70something and a half metres

71.75 metres? (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

a **** I think I got 68? how did I manage that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

If you failed paper 1? how many questions in project would you need to get right to pass? or to get a c3?

I'd love a c3 it looks like thats just gone out the window. There's maths in my course in first year I'm starting to worry now if I can't even do a paper 1 maths question!

Vetton wrote: »
    71.75 metres? (:

yup thats it :D

• Advertisement

Oh, well I clearly did well...ughhh I hate maths

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lynchy01

What did people do for 1 (b). In my opinion the question was terribly asked..The taxes were to be added in for part 2 but they included them under (i). I ended up adding the 2 of them and getting the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

yup thats it :D

How did you get that? I attempted it but can't remember what I got..it wasn't this though

Schonie wrote: »
    How did you get that? I attempted it but can't remember what I got..it wasn't this though

to be honest with you i cant recall...if you can tell me the question ill tell you how exactly i did it...but i think i found the time at which the speed was w.e it was..and then subbed that in to the distance...not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

Lynchy01 wrote: »
    What did people do for 1 (b). In my opinion the question was terribly asked..The taxes were to be added in for part 2 but they included them under (i). I ended up adding the 2 of them and getting the cost

That question really confused me! I subtracted one from the other and multiplied that by the unit price! I know its not right, but it confused me altogether! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Munster07 wrote: »
    That question really confused me! I subtracted one from the other and multiplied that by the unit price! I know its not right, but it confused me altogether! :/

I did that aswell.. Thought it was right:o

to be honest with you i cant recall...if you can tell me the question ill tell you how exactly i did it...but i think i found the time at which the speed was w.e it was..and then subbed that in to the distance...not sure

Oh okay...I think I get you...I got the time but didn't know what to do after that:D

no thats right...you take the previous reading from the present readin and multiply by the unit price...then you add the night rate and day rate charges to get the total...

im beginning to think i f****d up on the part with the taxes..it said ALL COSTS include vat at 13.5% so i charged the levy and standing charge with it too =/ ...but im thinking now that i should not have done that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Lynchy01 wrote: »

I subtracted the previous from the present of each and multiplied by the cost rate.

Then for the VAT part just add them all together and multiply by 13.5%
    I tried it by getting VAT on them all seperately and then adding but worked out the same :)

• Advertisement

I did the same thing

Advertisement